Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also trying to figure out what Winter tires/wheel combination to buy for my new (as of late December 2016) 90D.

I've read a lot here about "rubbing" in the front wheel well, but I can't confirm if that's for the current Model S or not.

I'm looking at getting the Hakkapeliita R2 tire, but can't find a reasonably priced wheel/rim with a 40mm offset.

Discount Tire has a 30mm option:

Wheels: DRAG DR-37 (DRAG DR-37 Wheels | Mesh Wheels Painted Wheels Passenger Wheels Wheels | Discount Tire)

Does anyone know if these cause the rubbing issue that many have mentioned?

Discount Tire suggests they are compatible, but ... I don't know if the rubbing would be an issue.

I'm also trying to figure out what Winter tires/wheel combination to buy for my new (as of late December 2016) 90D.

I've read a lot here about "rubbing" in the front wheel well, but I can't confirm if that's for the current Model S or not.

I'm looking at getting the Hakkapeliita R2 tire, but can't find a reasonably priced wheel/rim with a 40mm offset.

Discount Tire has a 30mm option:

Wheels: DRAG DR-37 (DRAG DR-37 Wheels | Mesh Wheels Painted Wheels Passenger Wheels Wheels | Discount Tire)

Does anyone know if these cause the rubbing issue that many have mentioned?

Discount Tire suggests they are compatible, but ... I don't know if the rubbing would be an issue.

I'm in a similar situation. The 2nd cheapest option is to install a set of Nokian WRG3 tires on the Tesla wheels and just replace the Goodyears. You can get them at Discount Tire. There is also a local auto shop that can install them for $1100 all in. But then I end up with a spare set of OEM tires with 4000 miles. If I could sell them for a reason price I'd do it now. The WRG3 is a great tire for summer and winter.

I wouldn't get the R2 because the WRG3 is almost as good in snow and the R2 is not so good above 45 degrees or so.

The WRG3 is a great tire for summer and winter. I wouldn't get the R2 because the WRG3 is almost as good in snow and the R2 is not so good above 45 degrees or so.

The difference in traction with a pure winter tire like the R2 is night and day above a compromised "all weather" tire in conditions like those here in Ontario Canada. I wait until the temperature gets to 5C on average for a week and switch over from summer to winter. It's -12C (12F) right now, and there is no way a WRG3 would provide the level of grip and security as an R2 would. Different winter conditions require difference solutions.

As for all-weather tires, I just don't understand their use frankly. Having two sets of tires and switching between them like I do, just allows me to run a pure performance summer tire so I can get more out of the car in good conditions. And having two sets extends the lifetime of both sets, which means you're not spending much more (if anything) on tires. I grant that rims can be expensive for a Tesla, but $1000 Canadian for my Replika R187's is very affordable, and I preserve them for the summer and run the OEM 19's for the winter when looks are a secondary concern due to all cars being salty and dusty.

Just my 2c.

I grant that rims can be expensive for a Tesla, but $1000 Canadian for my Replika R187's is very affordable, and I preserve them for the summer and run the OEM 19's for the winter when looks are a secondary concern due to all cars being salty and dusty.

I like the look of the R187 (and the fact that they are the same size as the standard 19" Tesla wheels) -- I need to find something equivalent in the USA. :)

I also worry that the WRG3 could be just a different all-season-like tire option. While southern Wisconsin is different weather wise (although it's -2F right now (-19C), the R2s probably would be better.

I like the look of the R187 (and the fact that they are the same size as the standard 19" Tesla wheels) -- I need to find something equivalent in the USA. :)

I also worry that the WRG3 could be just a different all-season-like tire option. While southern Wisconsin is different weather wise (although it's -2F right now (-19C), the R2s probably would be better.

The WRG3 is definitely not just a different all-season tire. There is an official winter-rated stamp on the tire so you can use it in places that require a snow tire. People use them here on all types of cars and they are a huge improvement over all-seasons in every season, although there are reports that it reduces the range in the summer a small amount compared to summer performance tires.

Check out the middle video in post 340 on the previous page, which confirms the feedback from people I know in this area. People also use R2s here in southern Wisconsin. I have no feedback on the Toyo Celsius mentioned in the video.

One of my issues is I head south for a week or 2 in the winter and don't really want to drive on R2s. We also have to drive when it's warmer on slushy roads before it's time to take off the winter tires and the WRG3 works much better in those conditions. But if I was driving in below 45 degree weather with lots of snow for 4 months I would invest in a spare set of wheels with the R2s, or maybe just the X-Ice.

• Funny
Reactions: William13
I am not sure i would agree on the comment for slush conditions. If you check out Nokian's winter tires I believe they each have certain innovations within them to specifically deal with slush. I cannot speak to the WR for these conditions but would say they are a comprimise to some extent. however, I think when people choose a tire they will use in the winter they need to pick the best Tire for their conditions and circumstances. There is never one right choice.

Are you swapping just the tires, or do you have a complete wheel/rim and tire swap for the two seasons? I'm reasonably confident now I don't want a single set, but one for winter, and one for the rest of the year.

What combo are you using (that doesn't have the wheel well rubbing issue some have mentioned)?

Are you swapping just the tires, or do you have a complete wheel/rim and tire swap for the two seasons? I'm reasonably confident now I don't want a single set, but one for winter, and one for the rest of the year.

What combo are you using (that doesn't have the wheel well rubbing issue some have mentioned)?

It's much easier to have two sets of wheels and tires. Also salt and slush aren't great for the wheels, so having a separate set for winter keeps your good summer wheels in top shape. Also in winter you really want 19" wheels and tires.

It's much easier to have two sets of wheels and tires. Also salt and slush aren't great for the wheels, so having a separate set for winter keeps your good summer wheels in top shape. Also in winter you really want 19" wheels and tires.

Agree, having the second set does make things easier. Just make sure your winter rims can handle all the crap they put on the roads.

A lot of people go to TireRack.com and order Rial Lugano in their favorite finish and Michelin X-Ice. TPMS adds $260 bringing the cost to $2000 plus installation and shipping. TireRack doesn't offer the R2. Discount Tire sells Nokian but their website tire selection option sucks. Have to use the phone or go there in person :eek:

You will find members that have mounted R2s on the stock wheels and mounted their summer tires on the Luganos. One example here:

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

A lot of people go to TireRack.com and order Rial Lugano in their favorite finish and Michelin X-Ice. TPMS adds $260 bringing the cost to $2000 plus installation and shipping. TireRack doesn't offer the R2. Discount Tire sells Nokian but their website tire selection option sucks. Have to use the phone or go there in person :eek:
I have used tires by web for Nokians. They have wheels, but I haven't purchased any from them.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am in southern CT and do not drive much in the snow. I have decided to get the Nokian WG3's, use them as winter tires until my existing all seasons (6000 miles) are finished, and then continue with the WG3's all year.

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

Summary:
Replika R187 turbine look 19" rims, designed for Model S.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire

I just received confirmation directly from Replika that their wheels/rims are only available in Canada. I've found a few places that claim to sell them in the USA, but I suspect they may be "gray market" or without warrantee.

In preparation for a new set of wheels and tires, I ordered the Tesla TPMS direct from my nearest SC (they Fed Ex'd them to me). They were $65 each + tax. And, I added a Tesla center cap for each wheel for $5 each. The service manager said the only TPMS that would be guaranteed to work without issue were the Tesla ones and since they seemed to be priced very closely to the generic online options, I thought it not worth the risk of current or future incompatibility.

I had Discount Tire install the following this morning:

Nokian Hakkapelitta R2s
Drag DR-37

All in, it was just about $2250 US (including the TPMS sensors mentioned below).

FYI: The standard center cap sold by Tesla does not fit these wheels unfortunately. They're too small. I may try to make a vinyl decal sticker (cut with our Cricut) to cover the logo on the wheels.

I paid about $60/tire for TPMS sensors direct from my "local" Tesla Service Center (I bought them ahead of time and took them into my local Discount Tire location).

The result is very nice. (Sorry, it's a very sloppy unusually warm Winter day here in southern Wisconsin this morning, so the it-was-super-clean-before-it-left car became quite messy today).

Oddly, Discount Tire only filled the tires to 36 PSI. :( I called them when I got home and they said, "oops! sorry!" I mentioned this to a friend that had R2 tires installed at the same location 2 weeks ago and he said the same thing happened to him as well.

015dce99505438ef80dd30f4c3d1cf68939b90023b.jpg

And for those that are observant, yes, that's a wood chipper on the other side of the car ..., but it's electric! :)

Here's the car new with the silver factory wheels and all-season tires.

01c2c410eace7ee0ce7231ed203529fa652a0bfae2.jpg

There is very little on the forum about the WRG3 because it was only recently released in a size for the Tesla. I have it on my Prius and the Hakka R2 on the Tesla. They both work great but the R2 has significantly superior ice traction/stopping. I feel this is worth the extra cost as ice is the biggest risk for an accident here. It is also the best for thick snow. The Mich X-Ice3 is best for slush. The WRG3 is best if you want to leave the same tire on during the summer or drive to the south during snowy weather in the north. They still wear quickly during the summer and do not prevent loss of traction in the Prius during accelleration from a stand still.

Your priorities may differ.