Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone offer any experience... which stock all season has better snow performance?

I'm not sure there is actual winter experience with either on the Model S. If you get more than two days of snow neither are ideal. My guess is that the MXM4 will perform better than the RS-A2, but both are really "Texas all-seasons".

Tirerack.com is a good place to get reviews and comparisons of different tires. You can also call them and talk to a knowledgeable salesperson that can suggest many possibilities for your car and help you decide which is best for you.

GSP

I have a logistics question for the Canadians. This may be appropriate to directly ask mknox or doug_g but I suspect all will benefit, as I suspect there are many on this forum that are currently debating what to do for the first set of winter tires for their Model S. I got my car in March and figured that I would just wait until September/October to buy my first set. Here are the questions:

1. Where to Buy - I'm interested in buy the Hakka R2 studless with rims that seem to be the wheel of choice for the city-type snow-addled people on this forum (ie. those that will experience snow but not extreme nordic conditions most of the time in winter). It would appear from comments on the forums that the Hakka may become a Tesla-approved option, in addition to the Pirelli's, at some point...but it's not clear when. If it were offered by Tesla, I would consider buying it from them to keep it easy. That said, the Tesla price of $2,400 seems pretty steep. So, if I were to buy them from an online source, who would you suggest exactly?
2. How to Put Them On - If I were to buy from an online source, what is the best way to get them mounted? In my case, I happen to have the Tesla 4-year service plan, so I'm not sure if they would mount the tires as part of that, if I bought them from a non-Tesla source.
3. How Much - How much should I expect to pay for Hakka's online delivered to Toronto from what I assume would likely be an online supplier in the US (this is almost like a part 2 of my first question). I would probably be buying 4 tires on rims without hubcaps. El cheapo style.

So thanks in advance for any feedback on these questions.

re: #3, you'll find that 2400$ is a reasonable price in the end. I bought tires/wheels from Tirerack and then had them bolted on the car at the service center. (Not sure if they'll still do this or not). I believe TMPS sensors are $125 each from Tesla.... I haven't heard of anyone putting steel wheels on their Model S yet... Do they make them in 19" ?

If I were to do it all again, I'd probably do the same thing I did last time. Order tires/wheels from Tirerack, and bolt them on the car, and skip installing TPMS. :)

If you like the Tesla rim options then I'd just get the winter tire package. The Pirelli's score pretty similarly compared to the Nokian R2's as rated by consumer reports.

I have a logistics question for the Canadians. This may be appropriate to directly ask mknox or doug_g but I suspect all will benefit, as I suspect there are many on this forum that are currently debating what to do for the first set of winter tires for their Model S. I got my car in March and figured that I would just wait until September/October to buy my first set. Here are the questions:

1. Where to Buy - I'm interested in buy the Hakka R2 studless with rims that seem to be the wheel of choice for the city-type snow-addled people on this forum (ie. those that will experience snow but not extreme nordic conditions most of the time in winter). It would appear from comments on the forums that the Hakka may become a Tesla-approved option, in addition to the Pirelli's, at some point...but it's not clear when. If it were offered by Tesla, I would consider buying it from them to keep it easy. That said, the Tesla price of $2,400 seems pretty steep. So, if I were to buy them from an online source, who would you suggest exactly?
2. How to Put Them On - If I were to buy from an online source, what is the best way to get them mounted? In my case, I happen to have the Tesla 4-year service plan, so I'm not sure if they would mount the tires as part of that, if I bought them from a non-Tesla source.
3. How Much - How much should I expect to pay for Hakka's online delivered to Toronto from what I assume would likely be an online supplier in the US (this is almost like a part 2 of my first question). I would probably be buying 4 tires on rims without hubcaps. El cheapo style.

Last edited:

To answer some of your queries:

I also got my S in March (the week before the last big snow storm in Montreal), and bought the Hakka 7's studless (the R2's are new this year).

I bought them from a local store I trust, and bought a set of 19' Tesla rims (with TPMS, which I find essential given our roads). My DS had the tires mounted at the shop (cost of mounting was included with purchase), and delivered the car on winter wheels with my 21' in the trunk. I know you are looking for an online purchase, but have you looked into local tire shops? That could take care of the mounting issue.

I chose to buy Tesla rims to remove any issues about centering rings, incompatible lug nuts, etc... but you will find many people on these boards who found very nice aftermarket wheels with compatible specs. Also the new rims offered by Tesla (Cyclone and Aero) are apparently quite nice, but that depends on individual taste and budget. I do not know if steel rims are available in 19' (or 18', for that matter), but using them would preclude TPMS, would that be a problem for you?

I'll have to look in my files at home for the price I paid, I cannot remember off hand.

Hope that helps!

My plan is to buy the Hakka R2 tires and mount them to my original Tesla 19" rims this fall. I'll take the stock 19" summer tires with me, and over the winter deal with getting some new summer rims -- perhaps the new Tesla Cyclone rims or similar -- and then have the tires and TPMS mounted by Tesla so they're all ready for spring. I'm fortunate in that the Toronto SC is also only a few miles from where I live.

Kal Tire sells them. I stopped in to a location that's about 2 miles from my house and spoke with the owner about reserving some (I'm worried they may sell out quickly). He assured me that he would be able to get a set, but we agreed I'd come back in, say, October and put down a deposit to be sure.

Kal sells the 245/45R19 Hakka R2's for $324.67 a piece.

I'll let Kal Tire install them. I'll just have them be sure to keep the rims at the same corner of the car so that the TPMS doesn't get messed up. I've already printed out and laminated the page from the manual that describes jacking and lifting the car.

My plan is to buy the Hakka R2 tires and mount them to my original Tesla 19" rims this fall. I'll take the stock 19" summer tires with me, and over the winter deal with getting some new summer rims -- perhaps the new Tesla Cyclone rims or similar -- and then have the tires and TPMS mounted by Tesla so they're all ready for spring. I'm fortunate in that the Toronto SC is also only a few miles from where I live.

Kal Tire sells them. I stopped in to a location that's about 2 miles from my house and spoke with the owner about reserving some (I'm worried they may sell out quickly). He assured me that he would be able to get a set, but we agreed I'd come back in, say, October and put down a deposit to be sure.

Kal sells the 245/45R19 Hakka R2's for $324.67 a piece.

I'll let Kal Tire install them. I'll just have them be sure to keep the rims at the same corner of the car so that the TPMS doesn't get messed up. I've already printed out and laminated the page from the manual that describes jacking and lifting the car.

Much appreciated!

Got a quote from a local dealer for $1,600 for 4 Nokian R2s mounted. I need to bring them the 4 wheels and TPMS from Tesla though and they will provide the tires and mount/balance install them on car. Does that seem right? too high/low?
Thanks

Got a quote from a local dealer for $1,600 for 4 Nokian R2s mounted. I need to bring them the 4 wheels and TPMS from Tesla though and they will provide the tires and mount/balance install them on car. Does that seem right? too high/low?
Thanks

Seems high... especially since you're in the US and Canadian prices are usually higher. See above: my quote is $324.67 CDN or $1,298.68 (plus tax) for 4. I'm pretty sure they include mounting and balancing in that price.

im in alberta canada, i got my tires a couple weeks ago from tirerack, i decided not to stud them as my driveway is already clawed up from my old car with winter tires (but ive never gotten even close to stuck with studs)
personally i would not wait until oct as most places dry up inventory real fast.

$2400 is on par, my set is $2500 after shipping, duties and taxes, my tires are arguably better than tesla's but i have not tested this in person.

you can mount them yourself, its pretty easy to change a tire, you can save alot of time if you get a compressor/impact gun with a huge jack (no more than $300 for everything at costco)
if you need assistance, youtube has a million videos, tire rack has instructions too.
on my old car, in an emergency i could change all 4 tires in 13 minutes, and once i had to do it for real before i drove to work since there was a freak snow storm and a massive dump of snow.

i do not believe you can get 19" steel wheels for the tesla that fit, i looked pretty hard since steel wheels are better and tougher for winter conditions but i found nothing so i got alloys

i do not believe you can get 19" steel wheels for the tesla that fit, i looked pretty hard since steel wheels are better and tougher for winter conditions but i found nothing so i got alloys

Steels are super popular here in Ontario winters, even on some fairly high end cars. Nobody even puts hubcaps on them. I couldn't find steels for my former CTS either, and I think it had something to do with the size of the brakes (or so I was told).

With the price increase from Tesla I decided to pick up a pair of used OEM 19" wheels but now need to figure out which tires to use. I'm in SW Connecticut so winters are typically large Nor'easters that dump 12-18" of snow but the plows clear that up in a day or two and then we'll have slushy or dry roads that aren't a real problem. I rarely have to go out during a big snowfall but do quite a bit of skiing with the kids so need the flexibility to get to the hills. This means occasionally driving with an inch or two on the main roads then dealing with packed snow on some of the rural roads.

There's quite a bit of love for the Hakka's on this thread, but I wonder if I really need the capabilities that they offer vs. something that's a bit better on dry/wet roads and potentially lower cost. Any thoughts from those who have been through a winter with the S?

Just ordered my set from TireRack. I had used the Hakka's in the past on other cars and they were terrific, but I opted for the Pirelli run flats. I dont suffer from range anxiety, I suffer from flat tire anxiety so that's why I took this route. I use the S on occasion to commute, which consists of driving on the Cross Bronx Expressway, the most miserable road in NY, which will wreck tires and rims and laugh back at you.

I am sure the setup will be fine, they even have the TPMS in stock so I had them mounted and road forced too.

Will post pics once I get them on the car, probably late October/early November.

I dont suffer from range anxiety, I suffer from flat tire anxiety so that's why I took this route.

I hear you there! I think the Nokians are available in run-flat in certain sizes, but not what I need. The last flat I had was in the middle of winter with snow/slush covered roads. I was glad I had a spare and glad I had OnStar to call and come and change it while I waited in a warm car!

I'm trying to figure out if I can use the stock all-seasons Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's to get me home when I get my car. It will be late november, in northern Norway, and I have a 720km trip to get home.

After reading this thread: FE5 19 All-Season Tire Package: How would you rate the Goodyear RS-A2 tires? [Archive] - Cadillac forums : Cadillac Owners Forum I sort of feel confident that I won't kill myself, but I'd appreciate any input from someone who's actually driven with these tires in winter conditions. It's hard to find any reviews of the A2's, but there are plenty of crappy ratings of the RS-A's.

Same here. I'm looking at the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 tires... My car came with the 19" rims... so I'll mount the winters on them, then look for some decent 19's to re-mount the summers on. I've seen a really nice 19" turbine that looks a lot like the 21's.

I was planning on doing the same thing but what do you do with your TPMS....do you take the car back to your SC and have them resetted? I was told by my SC they wouldn't touch the wheels and TPMS if they were not from the winter package...!?And are the 19" turbine OME or aftermarket? I am finding it hard to buy/find/get 19" AM rims that I am sure will fit my Model S....any suggestions? Thanks