Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is very little on the forum about the WRG3 because it was only recently released in a size for the Tesla.
This is the second winter on mine, so they have been out for two years now. I just run them in the winter (at least until they are down to the winter wear bars). Wear appears to be fine and it hasn't been all that cold during the last two winters here. (with some days being close to 30 and only a handful reaching down to or below freezing).

I've used the previous incarnations on other cars, and only the very best winter tires do better.

I'm on my 2nd winter with Nokian WRG3's, 245/45R19 on T Sportline 19" turbines. I'm in Texas, so we don't get a lot of snow and ice here, but do get cold temperatures and wet conditions.

I've been very impressed with the WRG3's. The cold/wet handling is far superior over all-season tires.

I probably wouldn't recommend these if you live in a northern climate where you routinely deal with snow/slush/ice. Hakka's, Blizzaks, or X-Ice's are probably a better choice there. But if you're in a climate with occasional or minimal winter conditions, especially one where you also have to deal with winter days that are dry with mild temperatures (like Texas -- it's dry and 66 F outside right now), then the WRG3's are perfect.

Reactions: Dax279 and jerry33
Been through 3 Canadian snowy icy winters on the same set of X-Ice3 and it looks like I'm due for a new set sometime into the 4th season on them. It's worth pointing out, I'm a RWD Tesla with 19" all around 45psi, dutifully rotated these tires per season.

Totally happy with these for winters.

When Costco puts up their "Save $80/ set" sale on Michelin's I'll get some more.

It should be illegal to talk and post about winter tires in July, so I arrest myself. Goodbye.

Been through 3 Canadian snowy icy winters on the same set of X-Ice3 and it looks like I'm due for a new set sometime into the 4th season on them. It's worth pointing out, I'm a RWD Tesla with 19" all around 45psi, dutifully rotated these tires per season.

Totally happy with these for winters.

When Costco puts up their "Save $80/ set" sale on Michelin's I'll get some more.

It should be illegal to talk and post about winter tires in July, so I arrest myself. Goodbye.
Have same tires, approve of the choice. They are an official compatible tire for Canada too I believe.

I would highly recommend the Nokian WRG3 for areas that get lots of snow but spend most of their driving times in cities and on the highways. I had them on my Mercedes S55 AMG (sold now) for a winter, and have them on my wife's 2015 Jeep Wrangler for 2 winters & my son's 2015 Nissan Micra for 2 winters. In Southwestern Ontario, these tires work great and eliminate the stack of tires in the shed!! I am doing a lot of rural driving in Quebec this winter with tons of snow, so I elected to stick to the tried and true Nokian Hakkapiitta R2 on TSportline 19" wheels for my 2017 Model S 75D. I have used Nokian Hakkapiitta R2 for years on VWs & Mercedes, and I think that they are the best snow tire on the road; I do hate having to switch and store wheels twice a year. I will be switching my Tesla Model S to Nokian WRG3 All Weather tires when I am not working in rural Quebec and Hakkapiitta R2 need replacing; no more wheel switching!!

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I have had very good luck using the Nokia Hakka R2's on my Prius and Chevy Volt and just purchased a set for my new Tesla S. On my previous Tesla I had good luck with the Pirelli tires offered by Tesla but the winters were not very snowy. Am hoping for more snow this year and plan to be ready.

Four days now on my Nokian Hakka R3 which replace my prior R2. Much improved dry and wet traction. I expect the ice and snow to be fabulous again. Nokians advertised improvements were correct. Mild increase in road noise versus the R2. One of the benefits is that this line of tires is OEM and the Tesla shops have serviced the tires without complaint.

Waiting for snow in Kamloops to test out the winter capabilities of the WRG4's. Their dry/wet handling is just as good as the Goodyear's but the way the initiate a corner is more inviting. That is impressive for a tire with a snow flake on the sidewall (all-weathers). They are a little noisier though; you can't have it all.

We had snow on the ground the same time last year, but this year October was rather pleasant.

In Alaska here and Nokian Hakka 9 all the way.

So first I’ll state my expectation is that I want a winter tire that preforms on winter roads as close to all seasons on dry roads as possible. The best out there, I’ve always figured if it prevents me from being in one wreck it’s worth it.

So why Nokian Over the others? In our experience on Mercedes (E 4Matic, G500), Lexus LX 570, subaru (legacy, Sti), audi (allroad, S4) Nokian have better all the way around. We’ve had Nokian Hakkapeliitta (4,5,7, 9), blizzak, x-ice, hankook ipike, and general studded years ago (like 20-30 years ago). My wife really didn’t like the sound of studs and wanted to try studless about 6 years ago we tried blizzak and x-ice (but went back to studded Nokian). Both Xice and Bliz are similar but lose their grip fast, really only good for 1-2 winters than preform like a all season. I know a few people up here that run blizzak and get a new set every winter (thanks Costco). Pirelli are terrible I work with a guy with a 911 4s that came with a set on the winter wheels, he switched them out for Hakka 9 within a month. I had a set of hankook studded I-pike that came with my winter wheels on my current car (LX). They were the worst studded winter tire I have ever had usless on ice, I quickly sold them on Craig’s list and bought Hakkapeliitta 7 when I got my LX 570. I have a set of Hakkapeliitta 9 on our AWD model 3 and are 8 days into cold mostly snow/ ice covered winter roads and the Hakka 9 are the best of the Nokians so far - almost endless grip with less stud noise at low speed.

Reactions: dark cloud
Agreed...best winter tires around are Nokians. I’ve tried Gislaved Nordfrosts, Hankook iPikes, Blizzaks, Pirelli Sottozeroes, and Firestone Winterforce tires in the past and nothing compares to Nokian R2, R3, Hakka 8 and 9 studded. The new R3’s on my P3D in 235/40/19 feel squirmy compared to the 20” stock setup. I haven’t popped on my set of Hakka 9 studded 235/45/18 yet, so I can’t comment on those tires. The energy usage is about 10 Wh/km higher for the R3’s so far after a couple of hundred kilometers of driving. Will need a few more km for a better sampling of the energy difference for the R3 vs stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Agreed...best winter tires around are Nokians. I’ve tried Gislaved Nordfrosts, Hankook iPikes, Blizzaks, Pirelli Sottozeroes, and Firestone Winterforce tires in the past and nothing compares to Nokian R2, R3, Hakka 8 and 9 studded. The new R3’s on my P3D in 235/40/19 feel squirmy compared to the 20” stock setup. I haven’t popped on my set of Hakka 9 studded 235/45/18 yet, so I can’t comment on those tires. The energy usage is about 10 Wh/km higher for the R3’s so far after a couple of hundred kilometers of driving. Will need a few more km for a better sampling of the energy difference for the R3 vs stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

I have been thinking about the energy differences between summer and winter tires and while my WRG4's are rated as low rolling resistance, probably better than the Goodyear touring, the energy has gone up as well: from May-Oct 207 kw/h. Oct-now(Nov6) 227kw/h but it is not as simple as saying the difference is due to the tires only. The air temperature has gone from an average of 24 degrees C to about 8 degrees average since I put the tires on. A few November rain episodes lowers it as well. On a few trips down the Coquihalla I already saw -2 degrees and the first 100 km of one trip consumed 200 km of energy. Even when the car stays in the insulated garage overnight leaving every morning the car temperature is 12 degrees and regeneration and full power is limited until the car warms the batteries; i.e. it takes much more energy to get the car to normal operating temperature and less energy is being put back into the batteries decelerating the car during this period.

The only way I would be able to compare the energy differences between summer vs winter tires in a controlled environment is to do 2 large identical trips on each set on the same day where the air temperature and all other climate conditions are consistent, or drive for the 2 most consistent months, which where I live are July and August, or a period of weeks, and then compare the results. Problem is I really don't want to wear out my winter tires in the summer. :confused:

Reactions: coleAK
^^^^ well said. I’ll also add I’ve always felt like winter driving (as in snow and ice covered roads) lower efficiency. Rolling resistance is increased on snow and overall the drivetrain (ICE or electric) has to work harder. Durring big snow periods here in AK I’ve seen as much as a 20% reduction in fuel economy over lower snow times.

We seen less range since putting the snow tires on. But the day we put them on it was 55F (13C) 48 hours later winter hit and since then (9 days now) hasn’t gotten much above freezing, most mornings have been ~10F (-12F) and the roads are still mostly snow and ice. The garage is set to 55F but the Tesla spends 10-12 hours a day parked outside, and finally regn has been set to low. Given all those variables I can’t say how much the tires effect the range loss. But then I’m sure if I was stuck in a ditch with all season tires on or my Tesla bounced off a guard rail and was now sitting in a body shop my range would be zero.

The only way I would be able to compare the energy differences between summer vs winter tires in a controlled environment is to do 2 large identical trips on each set on the same day where the air temperature and all other climate conditions are consistent

In case relevant my February trip-consumption is about 20% more than my "nice summer day" [not excessively hot]. That is same Summer tires and temperature above, but close to, 0C - let's say 5C and dry. We (my family, not "Brits in general") do normally fit Winter tires, but I didn't get around to getting any for the MS last winter, thus have comparison. Winter tire choice for me would not be snow performance, as we don't get much, so "cold" and "ice" would be my criteria (and the assumption that when we do get the occasional Snow they would be better than "not winter tires" :)

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Hi guys, sorry if it has been asked before. But I can't find it via the search function.

Does anybody know the 21-inch tyre size for winter tyres? Seems that 265 for rear isn't available. So should be front and rear both 245/35?

I just don't trust this because 265/35 and 245/35 have different diameter so messing up of the ABS and 4WD could occur?

Your help would be appreciated