Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my second set of Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires. They have been excellent in the now. only downside is rapid wear. They lasted 17K miles. My previous Michelin MXM4 and A/Ss3+ lasted between 25-30K miles (but weren't as good in winter).
I got 45,000 km (= 28000 miles), but I take them off from March to September, and therefore don't run them in the warm summer months where they will wear the most.

I sure noticed a boost in range when I put these on to replace the Continential DWS, the Nokians have a really low rolling resistance.

You should have received a discount off the new set, as they have a 60000 mile wear out warranty?

Nokian Tyres Limited Warranty / Nokian Tires

Reactions: impastu
I got 45,000 km (= 28000 miles), but I take them off from March to September, and therefore don't run them in the warm summer months where they will wear the most.
You should have received a discount off the new set, as they have a 60000 mile wear out warranty?
Yes, I did. Original price was 259 USD each and I got a 148 USD per tire discount for tread wear. Not quite linear proration, but decent.

I keep them on year-round. If I wanted to switch tires seasonally, I'd get true snow tires for winter.

How would you rate them for wet-grip, especially in summer temperatures? Do they still feel confident?
Hydroplane resistance is as good as any tire I have had. Wet grip is exceptional for an all-season/weather tire.

Bought a set of WR G4 for my Mini Cooper S back in May of 2019. I live near a ski region in the province of Quebec with many big hills and a lot winter snow. Been driving the Quebec winters for several decades and winters here are NOT mild 9 times of 10. These tires performed very well in all winter conditions if not better in some conditions compared to other premium winter tires I've owned in the past. Summer driving traction and responsiveness was also very good in heavy rains and dry weather. I can't complain after 2 years of driving on these tires. During this time when the weather was most severe, I made a point to drive the car just to see if they can perform and they did every time. The whole narrative from the industry in my area about having winters tires for winter and 4 season/summer for summer was once a valid one but Nokian has really done a good job with the WR G4. In my opinion this narrative needs to be reevaluated with tires like the WR G4 in the market.

I just purchased my sixth set of Nokia tires across four different vehicles and I doubt I will ever buy another brand of tire. This is the third set of WR G4 and they are great. I am getting over 60,000 miles on every set. Four of the sets of Nokians are on the car I drive for work. I travel over 40,000 miles a year through the midwest US. Whether I am on 6 inches of snow or heavy rain the car drives like it is on rails. It seems like the number one complaint on these tires is they are noisy. Can't say I have ever noticed any noise issue at all; however I do use the radio in my car extensively(!). Thank you for a great product.

I bought theses tires about a month ago for my 95 Acura integra and I feel like I can tackle any terrain! They are absolutely amazing in the rain !

I bought this tire over a year ago (30K on it now). They are the best tire I've ever had on wet pavement/rain - excellent grip.

User opinions / Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires

I really want to keep the 21's on my Plaid year round. I know they dont make snow tires in the rear size of 295/30/21, but i was considering 285/30/21 which they do make in Pirelli. I really hate the 19" wheels.. Anyone else plan on using 21's in winter? I was really hoping Michelin would come out with a Pilot Sport all-season in 295's.. Oh well...

I really want to keep the 21's on my Plaid year round. I know they dont make snow tires in the rear size of 295/30/21, but i was considering 285/30/21 which they do make in Pirelli. I really hate the 19" wheels.. Anyone else plan on using 21's in winter? I was really hoping Michelin would come out with a Pilot Sport all-season in 295's.. Oh well...
Would recommend getting winter tires on separate set of wheels. Try the Signature SV104 20" wheels in triple tint black or bronze to go with the red. There are good winter tire options for 20"

Reactions: dark cloud
There is a reason why manufacturers's (including Porsche Taycan) suggest smaller wheels for winter. Better traction in the snow and ice, which I hope you will agree is more important than the "fatness" look of the tire?

From a physics explanation Pressure = Force / Area. The smaller the area the more pressure you have.

Here is a fantastic video of snow/ice tires in general from a fellow who knows a thing or two about traction, as he runs/works at a rally race school in New Hampshire. At about 16 minutes in when he talks about the modified race tire he discusses this concept.

So I finally had my service appointment. I brought the OEM 19s and they put all seasons on the car. Apparently they don’t have “winter” tires for the refresh. But all seasons should be fine for me in Philadelphia. The pics are the front and rear.

Attachments

• B3F76DB3-7004-4FEA-AC39-55AA7BD8318A.jpeg
    B3F76DB3-7004-4FEA-AC39-55AA7BD8318A.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 92
  • D56DCAF3-DAE0-40E4-B42A-0BF8B08E6D4B.jpeg
    D56DCAF3-DAE0-40E4-B42A-0BF8B08E6D4B.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 52
I just ordered a mixed set of Pirelli winter performance tires from tirerack for the 19” Signature SV104 wheels in OEM size (255/45 & 285/40).
I searched this size in tire rack to see options and only Michelin Pilot Alpine. Id like to do blizzaks on another set of wheels, so I am looking at wheel/tire size combos as well. BTW since we have the same spec'd plaid on order to the east coast with similar RN can you message me with any updates? :)

I searched this size in tire rack to see options and only Michelin Pilot Alpine. Id like to do blizzaks on another set of wheels, so I am looking at wheel/tire size combos as well. BTW since we have the same spec'd plaid on order to the east coast with similar RN can you message me with any updates? :)
Fear not, I'll be posting updates on the White Interior thread!

I am so confused. Have a S LR on order (19”) and am interested in a winter wheel and tire package. Has anyone tried the tire rack offering - 19” Rial Lugano OE Cap rims (they are 19” x 8.5“ - narrower than OEM rims) and 255/45-19 tires (pirelli sottozero 3)? Is there an issue with narrower rims? Price is much better than Tsportline, who now only have 20” and in a very chunky and heavy looking rim.

I am so confused. Have a S LR on order (19”) and am interested in a winter wheel and tire package. Has anyone tried the tire rack offering - 19” Rial Lugano OE Cap rims (they are 19” x 8.5“ - narrower than OEM rims) and 255/45-19 tires (pirelli sottozero 3)? Is there an issue with narrower rims? Price is much better than Tsportline, who now only have 20” and in a very chunky and heavy looking rim.
A more expensive but high quality route is to buy signature wheels. I bought 19" SV104s in triple tint black. There is a forum in here with the OEM rep - Jamie
Instagram: www.instagram.com/Signature_Tesla/

I ordered a staggered set of winter Pirellis from Tire Rack and bought TPMS from the local Tesla SC.

Attachments

• 0823-15.JPG
    0823-15.JPG
    977.3 KB · Views: 42
  • C9DA2789-7C7C-4C10-B662-7918902961F8.jpeg
    C9DA2789-7C7C-4C10-B662-7918902961F8.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 49
So I finally had my service appointment. I brought the OEM 19s and they put all seasons on the car. Apparently they don’t have “winter” tires for the refresh. But all seasons should be fine for me in Philadelphia. The pics are the front and rear.
Did you originally have summer tires? I ordered my car with 19s hoping I could get all seasons for the winter months. I was originally told my plaid would have all seasons bc I’m located in nj/ny. My first scheduled service is next week and unfortunately Tesla said no to the swap.

A more expensive but high quality route is to buy signature wheels. I bought 19" SV104s in triple tint black. There is a forum in here with the OEM rep - Jamie
Instagram: www.instagram.com/Signature_Tesla/

I ordered a staggered set of winter Pirellis from Tire Rack and bought TPMS from the local Tesla SC.
I bought new 20s from Jaime and since there are no winter set ups that will fit the stock 19s, I’m going to run the new wheels with pilot sport all season 4 all year. Now I can run the sweet set up of the new wheels all year round. Excited to get them installed next week!

• Love
Under parts-catalog, they are also saying for "winter" tires you can get 265/45/19 and 295/40/19 while "all-season" are 255/45/19 and 285/40/19.

I personally don't like how 255/285 are sitting on 19" rims since they are having the same width as 21" do. I went with 265/45/19 and 295/40/19 for stock 19" rims for winter. Did not assemble all in one piece yet.

Attachments

• winter.png
    winter.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Informative
Hydroplane resistance is as good as any tire I have had. Wet grip is exceptional for an all-season/weather tire.

Bought a set of WR G4 for my Mini Cooper S back in May of 2019. I live near a ski region in the province of Quebec with many big hills and a lot winter snow. Been driving the Quebec winters for several decades and winters here are NOT mild 9 times of 10. These tires performed very well in all winter conditions if not better in some conditions compared to other premium winter tires I've owned in the past. Summer driving traction and responsiveness was also very good in heavy rains and dry weather. I can't complain after 2 years of driving on these tires. During this time when the weather was most severe, I made a point to drive the car just to see if they can perform and they did every time. The whole narrative from the industry in my area about having winters tires for winter and 4 season/summer for summer was once a valid one but Nokian has really done a good job with the WR G4. In my opinion this narrative needs to be reevaluated with tires like the WR G4 in the market.

I just purchased my sixth set of Nokia tires across four different vehicles and I doubt I will ever buy another brand of tire. This is the third set of WR G4 and they are great. I am getting over 60,000 miles on every set. Four of the sets of Nokians are on the car I drive for work. I travel over 40,000 miles a year through the midwest US. Whether I am on 6 inches of snow or heavy rain the car drives like it is on rails. It seems like the number one complaint on these tires is they are noisy. Can't say I have ever noticed any noise issue at all; however I do use the radio in my car extensively(!). Thank you for a great product.

I bought theses tires about a month ago for my 95 Acura integra and I feel like I can tackle any terrain! They are absolutely amazing in the rain !

I bought this tire over a year ago (30K on it now). They are the best tire I've ever had on wet pavement/rain - excellent grip.

User opinions / Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tires / Nokian Tires
i had the wr g4 on model s awd and they wore fast..and i did get credit at discount tire..so i put on the crossclimate 2 set for this winter..we will see...so far they drive well and low sound and good grip in colorado..but no snow yet