Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing is, I found a set of winters and called tesla asking if they would be willing to mount it for me at delivery if I drop them off in advance, so I don’t ruin the summers in below 0 temps.

They said the shop won’t mount aftermarket wheels (despite no OEMs available) and if I am really concerned, the only option is to tow the car on a flatbed to a tire shop. Just can’t win :)

For the refresh I found Michelin Pilot Alpins in 265, 295 and they seem to be working well. They were hard to find and now out of stock where I got them. The worst things about these refresh 19" wheels is the limited stock of tires -- it seems that there a bumch of Porsche N spec tires out there in this size that are also XL rated, but no one has even those in stock

Reactions: impastu
On 19" Wheels, which would otherwise be best for winter, the winter tire options are very limited because most places are out of stock on most winter tires at this point. if you forgo the XL rating,but still get a sufficient load rating, there are more options, I think various flavors of sottozeros.

For wheels look at signature, titan7, tsportline and others.
I have not seen any consensus, but there have been a number of posts from people selecting winter tires on 19 and 20" wheels. Some square sets and some staggered due to the lack of available options.
With stock being so thin, the consensus is get whatever you can find in stock and be open to compromises.

Go 10 mm wider if necessary. Accept SL load rating If no XL sets in stock. Accept different tires on rear if no sets of four of same in stock.

Right now tire rack has the pzero winter tires in 255/45-19 XL finally available... in mid january..

• Informative
Reactions: MattMac and impastu
On 19" Wheels, which would otherwise be best for winter, the winter tire options are very limited because most places are out of stock on most winter tires at this point. if you forgo the XL rating,but still get a sufficient load rating, there are more options, I think various flavors of sottozeros.

For wheels look at signature, titan7, tsportline and others.

With stock being so thin, the consensus is get whatever you can find in stock and be open to compromises.

Go 10 mm wider if necessary. Accept SL load rating If no XL sets in stock. Accept different tires on rear if no sets of four of same in stock.

Right now tire rack has the pzero winter tires in 255/45-19 XL finally available... in mid january..
I got staggered sottozeros on 19” signature wheels

Reactions: MattMac
Same situation, waiting for delivery mid-end of December with 21” wheels, looking for 19” for the winter setup, any suggestions?
Same situation so I've decided to treat my new Plaid as a garage queen until either a) there is a winter set offered by Tesla, or b) the weather is favorable. My alternative - not trading in my '12 A4 and using it as my "winter vehicle"! :(

The suggestions in this thread are good. The trick will be finding tires as others have said.

I am driving on Hankook Winter I*cept EVO3 X W330A

It handles extermely well so far, but the noise level is horrendous.
It is supposed to be only 1db louder than my summer tires but no sir..
Even if it is just 1db louder, the noise is so distinct, it is very disturbing.

Since it doesn't have that acoustic foam, you can hear the road noise echoing and THEN getting into the cabin.
Next week I am starting a 5000km round trip. I will use noise cancelling headphones...

• Funny
Heads-up: there is a wheel/tire combo that showed up on the Tesla App/Site that is fitted to the 2021+ Model S. When I was at the service center today picking up my S they told me about this and said they should be shipping "soon".

It is listed as:
Model S 19" Tempest Wheel and Winter Tire Package
$2,750

Hey guys,

I take delivery of my 2022 MSP next week and I am trying to get a set of winter tires ordered so I can get some use out of the car in the new year. My tire guy is planning on this setup, any cause for concern?

Front setup:
Touren TR75 19x8.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 255/45R19

Rear setup:
Touren TR75 19x9.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 285/40R19

Heads-up: there is a wheel/tire combo that showed up on the Tesla App/Site that is fitted to the 2021+ Model S. When I was at the service center today picking up my S they told me about this and said they should be shipping "soon".

It is listed as:
Model S 19" Tempest Wheel and Winter Tire Package
$2,750
Yeah, waiting for these to get in stock. They also have a 21'' set available but I wish they would just sell the tires... I'm looking at Discount Tire and Tire Rack and neither one has winter tires available for the Arachnid setup, argh.

Reactions: TigerJayhawk
Hey guys,

I take delivery of my 2022 MSP next week and I am trying to get a set of winter tires ordered so I can get some use out of the car in the new year. My tire guy is planning on this setup, any cause for concern?

Front setup:
Touren TR75 19x8.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 255/45R19

Rear setup:
Touren TR75 19x9.5
Pilot Alpin PA4 285/40R19
I don't know enough about tires, but these are rated SL, correct? Is that enough?

Newbie question here. I just got my new MS Plaid in December with 21-inch wheel config.
Are the default OEM tire summer tires or all-season tires? Attaching a photo of my tire.

I live in the bay area should I be worried about swapping to winter tires?

One follow-up question. Are there any other after-market tires that can provide a longer range than the OEM tires but can also work with the OEM 21 inch rim?

IMG_0861.jpeg