Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can play with the sizes, it doesn’t have to be the exact size
Good luck with that. Not easy with a staggered setup and AWD where exact diameters are required all around or expect to have issues which will void your warranty, not to mention the computer freaking out due to different rotation speeds, easy on a square setup though. Nightmare on my Mercedes AMG, only Good Year made a set that fit both front and rear diameter wise. Was able to go slightly larger/wider all around however I really only had 1 other choice which turned out to be a good Michelin performance tire so it can work out sometimes.

Heads up that these are back in stock—arbitrage opportunity here; tempests with BLEs go for $2k plus by themselves.

Heads up that these are back in stock—arbitrage opportunity here; tempests with BLEs go for $2k plus by themselves.

Has anyone actually gotten these yet and if so how are they? The way winter is going in Cleveland, may not even need these this year, but you never know. Also - for those that have ordered how long did it take to get them?

Has anyone actually gotten these yet and if so how are they? The way winter is going in Cleveland, may not even need these this year, but you never know. Also - for those that have ordered how long did it take to get them?
I think this is the first time they've been available from Tesla. I put in a placeholder order and may cancel it.

Very few reviews on Tirerack—it seems these tires are mostly OEM tires for Porsche and Tesla. One advantage is that they should have acoustic foam. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P Zero Winter&tab=Sizes#RatingsReviews

Good question. I've heard that A/S can be better for range since they are less sticky, but I don't expect any material change in range with the A/S.I haven't had a chance to run through a charge cycle yet - there was a bunch of snow today so it was a day at home. That said, I think there'll be a lot of other factors at play that might affect range more than the tires (temps being really low right now, etc.).

I can report back if the all seasons materially change range (good or bad), though I am not expecting much.
Any concern with problems with ABS or traction control given the diameter is off by >3%?

Reactions: impastu
Any concern with problems with ABS or traction control given the diameter is off by >3%?
So far no issues. Unexpectedly drove through a snowstorm last night (~5" fell, pretty heavy and slushy and then later compacted/icy) and felt confident throughout the drive(s).

Car didn't have any issues with either ABS or traction control. Only time I actually had to use the brake pedal (instead of just regen) I didn't have any issues.

During non-slushy/snowy conditions, the car feels and behaves just like with the summers, with a slight reduction in suctiony grip, of course. No errors or other warnings since the tires have been put on.

Reactions: impastu
So far no issues. Unexpectedly drove through a snowstorm last night (~5" fell, pretty heavy and slushy and then later compacted/icy) and felt confident throughout the drive(s).

Car didn't have any issues with either ABS or traction control. Only time I actually had to use the brake pedal (instead of just regen) I didn't have any issues.

During non-slushy/snowy conditions, the car feels and behaves just like with the summers, with a slight reduction in suctiony grip, of course. No errors or other warnings since the tires have been put on.
👍 that sounds promising! Looking into doing the same but was hesitant given all the warnings about changing diameter..thanks!

I think this is the first time they've been available from Tesla. I put in a placeholder order and may cancel it.

Very few reviews on Tirerack—it seems these tires are mostly OEM tires for Porsche and Tesla. One advantage is that they should have acoustic foam. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P Zero Winter&tab=Sizes#RatingsReviews
They’ve been available on Tesla since December 6, 2021 (I ordered them that afternoon, the first day they became available). They took a lot of orders I imagine and then were marked out of stock later than evening. Since then they’ve come in and out of stock sporadically and as far as I’m aware they haven’t delivered a single set of these wheels to anyone, including me and a buddy here who ordered them.

Of course Tesla was happy to keep my $2750+tax since December. 😡

I wasn’t able to get any tires locally in the right size for my 19” Cardenio (Tempest?) wheels or even my 21” summer wheels , so got a square set of 20x9” Enkeis and Vredestein WinterTrac Pro tires for the winter. So far so good. Cold dry traction was solid today and we’re expecting 1-3” of snow and ice tonight. I had Vredestein summer tires on my ML63 and was happy with them, but this is my first time with winters. I had Viking WinterContact 7s on my 2019 MSP and was really happy with them.

If you’re in snow country, skip the all season and go with something rated at least 3PMSF (three peak mountain and snowflake).

Especially if you’re traveling in and out of snowy climes. Such as between SF and Tahoe.

The below is from December where we hit a record 200” with a full size Tundra on the left and compact SUV on the right.

I saw far too many vehicles (Teslas included) stuck because they couldn’t get up a 6% grade

44850A93-5D13-4DF6-B437-41D4E146711C.jpeg

2022 Model S Long Range - ordered Rial Lugano rims and 19” Michelin X ice/snow from tire rack (ordered early December before I had the car). Installed yesterday - I think they look nice, and they are actually fairly quiet which is a plus. Haven’t tested yet in snow but not worried.

good price, definitely recommend this setup if you are ok with 19’s.View attachment 759121View attachment 759122

I have the same rubber you went with on Replika 241's. I like your rims better with that turbine twist in them. 245/45/19 square setup works perfectly with our cars. I agree, the noise level is quite low. Upon first install and driving the noise level was higher than I had hoped but it has really softened as the tires wore in a bit. Apropos the ANR I have had that out of sync droning happen only once over a month ago and otherwise, it does a good job at lowering the noise floor further.

I have the same rubber you went with on Replika 241's. I like your rims better with that turbine twist in them. 245/45/19 square setup works perfectly with our cars. I agree, the noise level is quite low. Upon first install and driving the noise level was higher than I had hoped but it has really softened as the tires wore in a bit. Apropos the ANR I have had that out of sync droning happen only once over a month ago and otherwise, it does a good job at lowering the noise floor further.
Have you seen range change that much with this setup? They look nice! Great snow tires. So, you put 245/45/19’s on all four and no issues?