Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need more information please :)

How would you describe them for efficiency, noise, handling/feel ? And what other all seasons or all weathers have you had on the car for comparisons?
ok...i have run the goodyear stocks which didnt last. I ran sottozero3 in winter and while ok they didnt last past 1 season for us. The nokian all weathers were good but didnt last as long as we hoped to used the credit to get the cross climate 2 and they have been doing well yearround so far. winter was good in snow and cold. they roll well so no drop in mileage for me-they handle well too..and are quiet and feel tight not mushy. I have my sotozero 3's on my spare rims-1 had a flat that couldnt be fixed. so they are all still on the rims and didnt want to just buy 1 tire as they went thru a season and were worn good.

I am unsure what we will try next...conti contact 06?? I was looking at them...maybe crosclimate 3 if they have this in fall?? I wont need them but want to replace the sotozero 3 i have on the 2nd set of rims so the rims arent wasterd

Reactions: dark cloud
ok...i have run the goodyear stocks which didnt last. I ran sottozero3 in winter and while ok they didnt last past 1 season for us. The nokian all weathers were good but didnt last as long as we hoped to used the credit to get the cross climate 2 and they have been doing well yearround so far. winter was good in snow and cold. they roll well so no drop in mileage for me-they handle well too..and are quiet and feel tight not mushy. I have my sotozero 3's on my spare rims-1 had a flat that couldnt be fixed. so they are all still on the rims and didnt want to just buy 1 tire as they went thru a season and were worn good.

I am unsure what we will try next...conti contact 06?? I was looking at them...maybe crosclimate 3 if they have this in fall?? I wont need them but want to replace the sotozero 3 i have on the 2nd set of rims so the rims arent wasterd
I’m now through 4 full winters on my Hakka 9’s. When I took them off last month still at 70-80% tread, rock solid winter tire.

Thanks. I have a set of Extreme contact DWS 06 on my car right now. I will not buy them again. If one can get over the initial bouncy feel on turn in grip is good (don't know about snow, I put Nokian's on Oct-Mar), but last fall I heard this howl, and I thought I had a bad wheel bearing, until it disappeared when I put the Nokians back on. Efficiency is comparable, but life not so much. I'll be lucky if they get them to go 35,000 km. Crossclimates are on my short list.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
Thanks. I have a set of Extreme contact DWS 06 on my car right now. I will not buy them again. If one can get over the initial bouncy feel on turn in grip is good (don't know about snow, I put Nokian's on Oct-Mar), but last fall I heard this howl, and I thought I had a bad wheel bearing, until it disappeared when I put the Nokians back on. Efficiency is comparable, but life not so much. I'll be lucky if they get them to go 35,000 km. Crossclimates are on my short list.
of course I am always looking for a "better " tire for running year round in colorado..but since i have another set of rims may run snow on one of the sets...but we havent got a ton of snow in past years.

Yep Hakka 10 EV comes in a 21 to fit the new M S

Attachments

• 1657522690703.png
    1657522690703.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Helpful
Reactions: impastu and Gavram
It’s still out of stock but Tesla’s accessories page shows a Pirelli P Zero winter tire for the 21” wheels:

Michelin does have all seasons that just came out in the 21 Arachnids size, with the slight caveat that the rears are 295/35/21 and not 295/30/21.

I just had them installed yesterday and am happy with them. So now I'm running Michelin PS 4 All Seasons in 265/35/21 and 295/35/21 on the stock Arachnids. Will likely run these year round until I wanna spring for another 21" rim set for the PS4 summers that only have 250 miles on them.

ETA: @Hayseed_MS - not sure if you saw my post in the delivery update main thread, but the speedo was off by minimal amounts, mostly at higher speeds. Unscientific testing with my wife at constant speed next to me, but at 30, I read 30, 60 I read 59, and 70 I read 68. Not bad.

View attachment 750812
How are these tires doing? I was worried about the extra height on the rear. Is the pic you posted at the lowest suspension setting?

How are these tires doing? I was worried about the extra height on the rear. Is the pic you posted at the lowest suspension setting?
Held up really well through the season! Yes, pic was at low (I only run low on suspension, except when the car auto raises while driving, over speed bumps, etc).

No issues with suspension or driving and they were very good. I had a service visit in Feb and they mentioned the tires looked good, no issues with the well. Minimal drop in performance, though I wasn't driving the same in the cold and slush that I would have in the summer anyway.

Full disclosure, I did put my summers back on this April. It was mostly just a combo of two things: (1) I wanted the grip and driving capabilities of the summers in the summer and (2) the summers only had 250 miles on them I hated the idea of "wasting" them.

I need to find a solution for this winter, though. I don't want to keep swapping tires onto the same rims, and I don't yet want to buy another set of rims since I had purposely bought these to fit OEM. I'll probably end up delaying my decision, realizing I don't have any other choice, and swapping the AS onto the rims again haha ... The question will then be will I swap back into summers. My AS tires only have about 1K miles on them.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffTutorialsY
Held up really well through the season! Yes, pic was at low (I only run low on suspension, except when the car auto raises while driving, over speed bumps, etc).

No issues with suspension or driving and they were very good. I had a service visit in Feb and they mentioned the tires looked good, no issues with the well. Minimal drop in performance, though I wasn't driving the same in the cold and slush that I would have in the summer anyway.

Full disclosure, I did put my summers back on this April. It was mostly just a combo of two things: (1) I wanted the grip and driving capabilities of the summers in the summer and (2) the summers only had 250 miles on them I hated the idea of "wasting" them.

I need to find a solution for this winter, though. I don't want to keep swapping tires onto the same rims, and I don't yet want to buy another set of rims since I had purposely bought these to fit OEM. I'll probably end up delaying my decision, realizing I don't have any other choice, and swapping the AS onto the rims again haha ... The question will then be will I swap back into summers. My AS tires only have about 1K miles on them.
Thanks for the info. I was worried if the fit and if Tesla would claim it negatively affected something with car,etc. I ordered the car in May 2021 and still waiting in Delaware. Our winters here can go either way so I wanted an all season option. I would have ordered with 19s had I known tire options were so limited. I will probably run the summers until late fall and switch assuming I keep the car. This is my first Tesla so I’m still apprehensive.

Picked up my Model S LR yesterday. :cool:

This is a 19" Square setup for the refreshed Model S.

Went straight to my garage to install the winter wheels. Was snowing and the roads were a mess so please excuse the dirty photos. :rolleyes: Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

They delivered the car to Montreal, Canada with P Zero high performance summer tires in the dead of winter believe it or not. Personally I prefer this as I always use dedicated winters.

Everything fit like a glove, no issues at all, plenty of clearance every where. I initially purchased 20mm spacers for the rear however the tires did stick out to far by about 10mm so I elected to use none at the end of the day. The rear wheel without spacers is about 10mm inward on the car compared to stock however not really noticeable IMHO and intend on leaving as is.

Here is what was used for my "square" winter wheel/tire setup

Picked up the Tesla BT TPMS sensors At Tesla
Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
RTX Spider wheels. (# 082737) Spider - Gloss Black
Center Caps, Why 20?, needed 4 for the Y also so I used 8 already and good to have spares. Centre Caps
Gorilla "The System" Black lug nuts Lug Nuts

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg
Really wanted to go with this setup but the wheels are backordered until "mid fall". I cannot wait that long or take the chance that they never come in.

Tesla flashed the tempest winter set in stock here this weekend and I decided to just go that route. by far the best value for a winter set. Hopefully they actually show up. Wondering if anyone has taken delivery of a set based on some posts I saw here from last year?

Finding tires/wheels for these cars is a giant PITA.

Reactions: Proppilot
The Tempest setup is a great deal and I see they are available on the Canadian store. I am running Replika 241s with Michelin X-ICE and Tesla TPM sensors and they were fantastic last winter. The Tempest package is a no brainer but rarely available !
My only issue with the tempest package is they are still staggered, so no ability to rotate. And they are quite wide, I think that’s less than ideal for winter tires, especially if you’re expecting to deal with snow. Wide tires skate on top of the snow like snowshoes.

I need to get a set of winters soon, I’m still debating the tempest set or an 8.5“ square setup…

Reactions: dark cloud