Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tempest setup is a great deal and I see they are available on the Canadian store. I am running Replika 241s with Michelin X-ICE and Tesla TPM sensors and they were fantastic last winter. The Tempest package is a no brainer but rarely available !
They do seem like a great deal. Did anyone get to use them last winter and if so how did they perform? Will range drop more when having these installed?

Usually for winter tires I go with Nokian or Michelin.

They do seem like a great deal. Did anyone get to use them last winter and if so how did they perform? Will range drop more when having these installed?

Usually for winter tires I go with Nokian or Michelin.
As we are obviously folks that have winter, AOSK (on the mud flaps thread) has just release a set of four mud flaps for the refresh S on Amazon. Check that thread for links. They look fantastic and some of the owners cars were used as templates and they are giving them thumbs up

Reactions: DBV1
My only issue with the tempest package is they are still staggered, so no ability to rotate. And they are quite wide, I think that’s less than ideal for winter tires, especially if you’re expecting to deal with snow. Wide tires skate on top of the snow like snowshoes.

I need to get a set of winters soon, I’m still debating the tempest set or an 8.5“ square setup…
agree with your points on the staggered setup and wide tires. I still think they will perform well and at least it will look pretty good. Again, the value is unmatched as well. Unless you're willing to shell out 5-7K+ on a winter setup your options are very limited. In hindsight I wish I would have opted for the 19" wheels at delivery and converted them to winters and purchased a Badass summer wheel setup. instead, I paid $4500 for the arachnids and another $3K for the basic winter setup. Live and learn.

I'm just hoping they show up relatively soon and I am not back here posting in October still waiting and pissed that I do not have my winter tires and it is snowing.

Reactions: Proppilot
I priced out an 8.5” square setup with Michelin xIce tires for about $3500 on PMCTire, so roughly the same price as the tempest kit. That was with Tesla TPMS, mounting and balancing included. The only thing giving me pause is I won’t be able to use the aero covers in winter, when you need every bit of efficiency you can get. Whether it’s worth the other downsides I’m not sure yet…

Reactions: EightYears
I priced out an 8.5” square setup with Michelin xIce tires for about $3500 on PMCTire, so roughly the same price as the tempest kit. That was with Tesla TPMS, mounting and balancing included. The only thing giving me pause is I won’t be able to use the aero covers in winter, when you need every bit of efficiency you can get. Whether it’s worth the other downsides I’m not sure yet…
I paid $ 3,135 taxes in delivered a year ago so it has gone up about 10%. The Tempest setup is $ 3,496 plus taxes so about 13% more. A good point on the aero covers and I wonder how much efficiency they actually improve ? No idea as I pulled mine off the day of delivery and have never used them. A bit off topic but any real world verified efficiency differences for Tempest rims with covers on and off ?

Reactions: EightYears
I paid $ 3,135 taxes in delivered a year ago so it has gone up about 10%. The Tempest setup is $ 3,496 plus taxes so about 13% more. A good point on the aero covers and I wonder how much efficiency they actually improve ? No idea as I pulled mine off the day of delivery and have never used them. A bit off topic but any real world verified efficiency differences for Tempest rims with covers on and off ?
I've read it's in the ballpark of 5%, which in wintertime could make a difference. Summertime, not so important (except in situations like tomorrow, when I need to try and squeak every bit of my range to do a 550km road trip with minimal L2 charging en route!)

Is the tempest setup not $2750? Or is your price with shipping?

agree with your points on the staggered setup and wide tires. I still think they will perform well and at least it will look pretty good. Again, the value is unmatched as well. Unless you're willing to shell out 5-7K+ on a winter setup your options are very limited. In hindsight I wish I would have opted for the 19" wheels at delivery and converted them to winters and purchased a Badass summer wheel setup. instead, I paid $4500 for the arachnids and another $3K for the basic winter setup. Live and learn.

I'm just hoping they show up relatively soon and I am not back here posting in October still waiting and pissed that I do not have my winter tires and it is snowing.
Did you buy rims and tires? I would’ve avoided the arachnids also had I know you can’t get an all season tire at least. The only way I can get all season is go a larger sidewall size in rear to 35 which matches the front. Only Michelin offers an all season that fits and they are about 400 per tire.

Did you buy rims and tires? I would’ve avoided the arachnids also had I know you can’t get an all season tire at least. The only way I can get all season is go a larger sidewall size in rear to 35 which matches the front. Only Michelin offers an all season that fits and they are about 400 per tire.
I purchased the tempest setup from Tesla. I am sort of regretting that choice though, I am afraid Tesla is going to drag their feet on sending the wheels and tires. Giving me PTSD from my wait for the actual car. ugh.

I'm weighing the Michelin X-Ice v. Pirelli Sottozero 3s. Jamie at Signature suggested the X-Ice for deeper snow/ice and the Pirelli for light snow. Is that pretty consistent with the experience here?
X-Ice is a great tire and would be my first choice of the two. I do not have any firsthand experience with the Pirellis. More than likely it will be a slightly sportier tire hence the lighter snow comments. Depending on how much snow and ice you drive and what the price comparison is would affect my decision.

Also, you may check, there is a chance the X-ice has a mileage warranty. May not apply with your setup though so I'd dig deeper if you care.

I have a full Ontario/Canada winter on X-ICE and they were fantastic. You want to keep the car in CHILL mode all winter however as they are a soft compound and if you push in too much power especially cornering, you will feel the sidewalls flex.......

I did another quote on PMCTire, and 8.5" square setup with Michelin Xice came in at 2885, so a few hundred cheaper than Tesla's offering. This does include mounting, balancing and Tesla TPMS.

However, now to get deeper into things. The highest load rating I could get for those Michelins was 102H. The original Tesla 19" tires have a load rating of 104(W) / 107(W) for front/rear.

According to this website: Tire Load Index Chart | Tire Buying Guide | Tires Plus

- A load rating of 102 should be good for 1874lbs / tire, so 3694lbs on the axle. My door sticker says max rear axle weight is 3196lbs, so this should be sufficient;
- However, same website says we should never install a lower load rating than original tires;
- However again, according to the owners manual, the 21" setup has a load rating of 102(Y).

Can any tire gurus weigh in on what this all means? Is it safe to install a 102(H) load rating when my car originally came with 107(W)?

I could use a sanity check from you folks if you don't mind. I've read through this thread (and others) and settled on a square set up for my refreshed model S LR (2022). I've configured a winter tire and wheel package at TireRack that includes the 8.5" WX9 rims with X-Ice (and TPMS). I live in New England so sometimes we get snow and, well, sometimes we don't. However, I really want winter rubber in the event that we do. Is there a significant difference in the feel of the 8.5 over a staggered 9.5 + 10.5 setup? I'm not an F1 driver but I do push the car a little here and there.

I could use a sanity check from you folks if you don't mind. I've read through this thread (and others) and settled on a square set up for my refreshed model S LR (2022). I've configured a winter tire and wheel package at TireRack that includes the 8.5" WX9 rims with X-Ice (and TPMS). I live in New England so sometimes we get snow and, well, sometimes we don't. However, I really want winter rubber in the event that we do. Is there a significant difference in the feel of the 8.5 over a staggered 9.5 + 10.5 setup? I'm not an F1 driver but I do push the car a little here and there.
It will feel different for sure. Primarily due to the softer compound of the rubber. Unless you go with a more performance-based winter tire like the Pirelli Scorpion or the Michelin Pilot Aplin PA4 (My all-time favorite winter tire). These drive closer to a performance all-season tire but problem is I do not believe they are available for our cars.

Just take it a little easier during the winter months on the turns and it will make putting your summer tires on next year that much more exciting.

I am about to get the S LR with the 19 inch wheels. I am pretty sure it will come with the summer tires. I am trading a Model Y performance and I have a set of 4 winter tires, mostly new on Gemini wheels. I understand that the bolt pattern is different between Model Y and Model S but curious about what you recommend I do:
- Do I just sell the wheels and buy a new package?
- Is there an adapter I could buy to fit the Model Y Gemini wheel on the S?
- Shall I just sell the wheels, keep the tires and buy new wheels with the Model S bolt pattern? Tires are 255/45R-19

Last edited:
I am about to get the S LR with the 19 inch wheels. I am pretty sure it will come with the summer tires. I am trading a Model Y performance and I have a set of 4 winter tires, mostly new on Gemini wheels. I understand that the bolt pattern is different between Model Y and Model S but curious about what you recommend I do:
- Do I just sell the wheels and buy a new package?
- Is there an adapter I could buy to fit the Model Y Gemini wheel on the S?
- Shall I just sell the wheels, keep the tires and buy new wheels with the Model S bolt pattern? Tires are 255/45R-19
Check out the Replika R241 rims. IMO ideally if you can sell them all complete then they are gone and you can get a new square set wheels and rims