Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious - why go to Tesla service, when you can go to local Discount Tire if in your area? What does Tesla Service does differently and our local Discount Tire is outstanding.
I was responding to a poster who bought Tesla wheels and the wheels were sitting at the Tesla SC but they didn't have the tires. so just get them the tires. Then don't have to schlep the wheels to the discount tire place.

Also Tesla SC is less likely to put the lifts on the wrong place under the car.

But yes, I've had both Tesla SC and regular shops do tire swaps. With the latter I make sure they know about jack mode and give them hockey puck things.

That’s the solution. Order tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to the Tesla service and they will mount and balance them on the wheels. I’ve done that multiple times and it’s fine
Problem is I purchased the entire "package" from Tesla and they refuse to use their problem-solving skills to address the situation. I am actually going to try and swing by the service center today and speak with someone in person. If I cannot get a resolution, I am returning the entire thing and going to get my money back.

Problem is I purchased the entire "package" from Tesla and they refuse to use their problem-solving skills to address the situation. I am actually going to try and swing by the service center today and speak with someone in person. If I cannot get a resolution, I am returning the entire thing and going to get my money back.
Zero help at the service center as expected. no problem-solving skills at all with this company. I have no choice but to get a refund. Another disappointment as an owner.

Zero help at the service center as expected. no problem-solving skills at all with this company. I have no choice but to get a refund. Another disappointment as an owner.
That is too bad. So, curious if everyone that recently ordered the winter tire package are experiencing similar issues? Why sell a product when it is not in stock? Disappointing, as would be a great package.

Reactions: EightYears
I avoided ordering this setup after seeing your troubles. I cannot even get a spec all season for this car with 21 rims for east coast Delaware. Had I known I would’ve gotten the 19 when I ordered. I dunno about you but I wished I sold it when the prices were higher last month. I can’t fathom how people are repeat customers with this company?

use discount tires....i do..and watch them work on my car..have been happy with thier work and prices
Discount Tire has made four major mistakes on my cars, about one per year, and they are still better than all the other third party tire shops around. Still, if I didn’t have other non-Tesla vehicles, I would just pay extra and have the Tesla service center manage tires.

Discount Tire has made four major mistakes on my cars, about one per year, and they are still better than all the other third party tire shops around. Still, if I didn’t have other non-Tesla vehicles, I would just pay extra and have the Tesla service center manage tires.

I exclusively use discount tire and have purchased TONS of tires from them over the years. They have also made major errors on my vehicles but have always made it right despite the major inconveniences for me. To name a few all-separate occasions, stripped stud on my SRT Jeep, improperly lifted the SRT Jeep and punched a whole in the rocker panel. Stripped the HUB of My X3M Competition.

I tried to give Tesla the benefit here but it was to good to be true and they prefer to false advertise and rip of their customers instead.

I am headed back to discount tire today to sort out a package. It will cost me more, but I know I will actually get it.

I avoided ordering this setup after seeing your troubles. I cannot even get a spec all season for this car with 21 rims for east coast Delaware. Had I known I would’ve gotten the 19 when I ordered. I dunno about you but I wished I sold it when the prices were higher last month. I can’t fathom how people are repeat customers with this company?

Wish I would've avoided it too. Who knew when a product is advertised as in stock it actually wasn't. Only Tesla get's away with this stuff. There will be a day this all catches up to them. This will likely be the one and only Tesla we own. Nothing about our experience so far has driven me to fall head over heels for this company. I do not recommend it to anyone.

Agree with your hindsight. I wish I had purchased the 19" wheels too. I love the look of the 21" wheels but man they are a PITA to equip with tires. Plus, the uneven wear delivered from the factory is brutal. You got to spend $3000 to get the car into proper alignment. WTF.

That is too bad. So, curious if everyone that recently ordered the winter tire package are experiencing similar issues? Why sell a product when it is not in stock? Disappointing, as would be a great package.
I have been in touch with one other owner that has ordered the package around the same time as me in PNW area and they too are eternally waiting for delivery.

i go into the garage area and watch everything discount does on my car and tires..lol

I exclusively use discount tire and have purchased TONS of tires from them over the years. They have also made major errors on my vehicles but have always made it right despite the major inconveniences for me. To name a few all-separate occasions, stripped stud on my SRT Jeep, improperly lifted the SRT Jeep and punched a whole in the rocker panel. Stripped the HUB of My X3M Competition.

I tried to give Tesla the benefit here but it was to good to be true and they prefer to false advertise and rip of their customers instead.

I am headed back to discount tire today to sort out a package. It will cost me more, but I know I will actually get it.

Wish I would've avoided it too. Who knew when a product is advertised as in stock it actually wasn't. Only Tesla get's away with this stuff. There will be a day this all catches up to them. This will likely be the one and only Tesla we own. Nothing about our experience so far has driven me to fall head over heels for this company. I do not recommend it to anyone.

Agree with your hindsight. I wish I had purchased the 19" wheels too. I love the look of the 21" wheels but man they are a PITA to equip with tires. Plus, the uneven wear delivered from the factory is brutal. You got to spend $3000 to get the car into proper alignment. WTF.
Why is there such incompetence in this field? I just had a tech damage 3 out of 4 of my aftermarket wheels and 1/4 factory wheels for a simple tire change.

i go into the garage area and watch everything discount does on my car and tires..lol
They know me by now even though there is a revolving door of managers and workers but I go in pretty often and I make it a habit to speak to the GM and the employees and remind them of all the issues I've had. I do this not to be annoying and an ass but to politely remind them to be careful and avoid the costly mistakes that will cost the store. This usually helps but inevitably sh$% happens.

I managed to get the winter wheels mounted on the BMW a few weeks ago without any problems. I cringe everytime. When the stripped the hub I was standing right in front of him when he did it so that doesn't guarantee anything. I find it more effective to make sure the GM is aware and let him sort it out. Makes the conversations when they mess up much easier for me to address.
Why is there such incompetence in this field? I just had a tech damage 3 out of 4 of my aftermarket wheels and 1/4 factory wheels for a simple tire change.
Just careless kids working there most of the time. I do believe they train them, just that some care more than others. Also guessing 80% of the cars they work on are plain vanilla cars with standard run of the mill hard to damage wheel/brake setups.

As I've said for convenience and consistency Discount is a great company and I will continue to use them despite my challenges at times.

I just got back from placing an order at Discount. Going to run a staggered setup (I know it's not advisable with winter tires and narrow tires are better) but this car will rarely see snow and when it does it will be very light. Mountain trips and deep snow will be handled by the snow tire equipped X3MC. I Mainly just need to not have summer tires for our around town driving when temps are below 40*.

Wheels will be Performance Replica PR208 Gloss Black. 20x9 +30 up front and 20x10 +35 in the rear. Really hoping the fitment is good. Trusting discount here.

Tires will be Vredestein Wintrac Pros. 255/40/20 up front and 275/35/20 in the rear. I had an option to go Xice but couldn't just the $150 per tire premium. Especially when this car just eats tires.

Part of the reason for me going this route is if I like them enough, I may end up running this wheel set year around and retiring or selling the 21"s. Or just getting something entirely different for summer. I hate having zero options in the 21" size but I do love the look of the Arachnid. This wheel is pretty similar. I hope I like it!

All in all the price was fair and comparable to the Tesla winter set as far as price goes... performance and OEM fit are sacrificed a bit but these should be fine for my use.

I will post up some pics once they are mounted.

1666731212938.png

I ended up ordering Continental
All season

I am having all season continentals put on Friday. I was able to find the fronts in factory spec 265/35/21. For the rear I’m going 305/30/21 versus 295/30/21. The tire guys think that’s safer versus 295/35/21 for which Michelin makes all season. They should still be within the wheel wells and it won’t effect Speedo very much at all. It’s funny if I ordered another S today the site says all season tires come with even the 21 arachnids but no one at Tesla seems to know the brand they are using or anything. I also I knew this car was trouble when I couldn’t even get freakin aftermarket wiper blades. Only ones I can find have to be ordered from Tesla lol. It’s honestly a money pit. The gas savings go back to Tesla for having to buy aftermarket wheels etc so that you can operate it in the real world versus la
La land California where they build the junk.

I ended up ordering Continental
All season

I am having all season continentals put on Friday. I was able to find the fronts in factory spec 265/35/21. For the rear I’m going 305/30/21 versus 295/30/21. The tire guys think that’s safer versus 295/35/21 for which Michelin makes all season. They should still be within the wheel wells and it won’t effect Speedo very much at all. It’s funny if I ordered another S today the site says all season tires come with even the 21 arachnids but no one at Tesla seems to know the brand they are using or anything. I also I knew this car was trouble when I couldn’t even get freakin aftermarket wiper blades. Only ones I can find have to be ordered from Tesla lol. It’s honestly a money pit. The gas savings go back to Tesla for having to buy aftermarket wheels etc so that you can operate it in the real world versus la
La land California where they build the junk.
Keep us posted if you remember on how the car behaves after the tire swap. I have seen some mixed reviews when you get slightly away from OEM and the computers get a bit finnicky... Really hoping you and I do not have any issues. My overall diameter will be about .3" larger with my setup.

This was one of the reasons I wanted to go OEM to avoid any possible headaches. Fingers crossed though. likely it will be fine.

Keep us posted if you remember on how the car behaves after the tire swap. I have seen some mixed reviews when you get slightly away from OEM and the computers get a bit finnicky... Really hoping you and I do not have any issues. My overall diameter will be about .3" larger with my setup.

This was one of the reasons I wanted to go OEM to avoid any possible headaches. Fingers crossed though. likely it will be fine.
Haha. Nothing is simple with Tesla. I’m keeping my old tires in the event it has issues. The diameter increase from the wider tires is only 6mm and .84% Speedo error. I’m not worried about the width.

Reactions: EightYears
I have been in touch with one other owner that has ordered the package around the same time as me in PNW area and they too are eternally waiting for delivery.
I also have had the same problems with the winter tire package. Ordered and payed for on Aug 22. Service appointment made for installation on Oct 3 was cancelled by the tech due to no stock 5 minutes before I left for the 1 hour drive to the service center. Rescheduled to Oct 21 and cancelled again. At least he told me the day before this time. Rescheduled again for Nov 7. Today I told them if they couldn't finally locate some tires that I would escalate my complaint.

My problem is that I am legally required to have full winter tires installed to travel the highway into my local town (Sooke, BC) from Oct 1 to April 1. When I received the new car late June this year it had summer tires on it. There is nowhere in Canada you should drive on summer's in the winter. "All Season Tires" are really 3 season tires in northern climates including the PNW

I also have had the same problems with the winter tire package. Ordered and payed for on Aug 22. Service appointment made for installation on Oct 3 was cancelled by the tech due to no stock 5 minutes before I left for the 1 hour drive to the service center. Rescheduled to Oct 21 and cancelled again. At least he told me the day before this time. Rescheduled again for Nov 7. Today I told them if they couldn't finally locate some tires that I would escalate my complaint.

My problem is that I am legally required to have full winter tires installed to travel the highway into my local town (Sooke, BC) from Oct 1 to April 1. When I received the new car late June this year it had summer tires on it. There is nowhere in Canada you should drive on summer's in the winter. "All Season Tires" are really 3 season tires in northern climates including the PNW
Wish there was someone to actually escalate things to. Nobody gives a @#%@ is the problem.

I tried to escalate this problem. The mobil tech who was supposed to do the install seemed to give a @#%@ but he was at the same end of the problem as I was and the only one who would talk with me. We conversed through the app and he actually phoned me to personally apologize.