Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Results

KG2V

Mar 9, 2019
Bayside, NY
So, Saturday, I pulled my Hakka H9 studded snows off. Over the 4 month they were on (Mid November), I ended up with an average of 304 wH/Mile

Now, I'll admit it was a very mild winter, and I tend to be conservative when I drive (a lot of my driving is done in slow moving traffic in 50MPH zones), but not too bad.

Note, over the life of the car, I'm at about 235 wH/Mile

Reactions: PoitNarf
I took delivery of my Model 3 Performance in late December in Minneapolis. I didn't realize the performance shipped with summer tires and after putting about 1,000 miles on it was finally able to get some Michelin Pilot Alpin 4's mounted. I'll using them to complete a road trip to Denver here in a week, and I'll probably switch back to the summer tires sometime in mid-April.

I'll say the winter performance of the Pilot Alpin 4's is more than I had ever expected in snow/slick/cold conditions. I have only ever driven all season tires before and I know how to handle a little tire slippage throughout the winter. I felt very secure on these tires with the AWD; I felt as if I hardly needed to account for any type of road condition this winter.

I have also been happily testing the limits of this vehicle on these tires, and while I don't have any true summer driving to compare it to, I have been very impressed with the driving performance of these tires.

So far I've driven about 4,000 miles on these tires this winter and have averaged 356 wH/mile. I am not a conservative driver, and run my heat most of the time.

I think the worst efficiency I got was a highway trip at about 75 mph in -5 degree Fahrenheit with the heater going and a bit of a headwind which clocked in around 410 - 430 wh/mile.

eCharcoal

Aug 31, 2017
Chicagoland
This winter was mild indeed. Didn’t see much snow or cold. Just took mine off this weekend. I put them on in late October. I drive very conservatively. Tires are General Altimax Arctic 12. Didn’t notice how loud they were until I switched back to stock Continentals.
50ABD4D2-C88E-441F-BCA3-657731F905E9.jpeg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC