Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire shopping - Looking at the NOKIAN TYRES HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
got mine installed on Friday - and have done about 100 km of driving since. My absolutely, accurate, scientific testing (NOT! - basically eyes and ears doing the work lol) - means a few things

1) road noise on Hwy and streets are "bout the same" as the OEMs
2) Efficiency so far seems "bout the same" as well pre OEMs
3) is it me, or after spending $1.6k - there might be bias here - but I love the "look" of the tires vs OEM

though sample size is quite small - and the weather has been very reasonable (unfortunately).

I am super excited for my first snow fall though - I've heard really good things about the Nokians and this will be my first winter with TM3 as well.

Reactions: DBellerive
1) road noise on Hwy and streets are "bout the same" as the OEMs
2) Efficiency so far seems "bout the same" as well pre OEMs
3) is it me, or after spending $1.6k - there might be bias here - but I love the "look" of the tires vs OEM

I am super excited for my first snow fall though - I've heard really good things about the Nokians and this will be my first winter with TM3 as well.
Well mine are in the garage right now, waiting for the weather to cool down a bit more before putting them on, but from what you are saying I am having high hopes.

Winter driving the TM3 was a blast even on the X-Ice 3 we had last year (got a set from someone in a rush mid-feb as that's when we picked up the car) and really looking forward to installing the Nokian. Shame they are on steel wheels though.

Oh and I do agree with you for the look of the tires. It gives a bit of a "rally" vibe to the car depending on the wheels.

I too got Hakka R5 EV on my M3 SR+. I noticed too the quietness and similarity in noise level compared with the oem.

It hasn't been super chilly here in Montreal yet. I've never driven below freezing yet so I can't report on those winter qualities but the sound level with the EV version sure is nice to have. Would buy again and would pay the small extra fee from r5 regular to r5 ev again.

Noise level with Hakka R3 on my Hyundai Ioniq is far more intense in comparison.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the cold season ! 🏂

I wanted to try these out but we couldn't get them here in Colorado 2 weeks ago and elected to go with the Michelin X-Ice Snow. We typically have put Blizzaks on all our Snow setups, we decided to make a change to see if the Michelin setup would work.

I will say this from when we put the tires on the M3LR.....they are a TAD bid noisier than the stock Michelins that came with the car. BUT that is to be expected with any dedicated winter tire.

Will see how the perform this winter....tonight we get some real snow so will see how they work out!

I got Nokian Hakka R5 EVs for my M3RWD. Today is the big snow day, 15-20 cm, so I'll let you know how they handle on that later.

So far I've mostly noticed just that the ride is very wobbly and they feel very unbalanced. I took the tires back to the shop and had them rebalanced, they said one was a bit out and they fixed it, but now that they're back on they feel even MORE unbalanced, so I think I need to get some hub centric rings. I'll let y'all know how they work out once they're on.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I wanted to try these out but we couldn't get them here in Colorado 2 weeks ago and elected to go with the Michelin X-Ice Snow. We typically have put Blizzaks on all our Snow setups, we decided to make a change to see if the Michelin setup would work.

I will say this from when we put the tires on the M3LR.....they are a TAD bid noisier than the stock Michelins that came with the car. BUT that is to be expected with any dedicated winter tire.

Will see how the perform this winter....tonight we get some real snow so will see how they work out!
Same experience with ours. we had the X-Ice XI3 (the old ones) for the previous winter and no complaint at all. Really just a bit noisier overall, great winter performance. It'll be really interesting to compare with the R5 EV once we mount them, probably in 2 weeks time, but from what people are saying so far I am looking forward to them!

• Love
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Same experience with ours. we had the X-Ice XI3 (the old ones) for the previous winter and no complaint at all. Really just a bit noisier overall, great winter performance. It'll be really interesting to compare with the R5 EV once we mount them, probably in 2 weeks time, but from what people are saying so far I am looking forward to them!
It was kind of a weird situation with our shop. Seeing we got snow last night I was not willing to wait for a tire that they stated "might not come soon enough".

I look forward to your experience with the Nokians!

I've used Hakapeliittas with very good results on Subaru snow trip cars, but always prefered Blizzaks.

Not sure if it's just my imagination but Blizzaks always give me a confident feel as though the car was hunkering down to hang on like the old "Tiger Paw" ads.

(this bolding format came when I copied the word "Hakapeliitta" so I'd get the spell correct. I'm not yelling at you all :) ).

Now, yesterday I put Blizzak W90s on my 2022 M3 LR and I'm a little confused as to what tire air pressure to use. For traction I think lower - as in 32-35 psi, but for milage or roll resistance the door sticker 42-45 is better?

I'd want safety over the best possible electric car range and doubt obtaining best range is really possible in ice or snow anyway but at what pressure would I put my tires at risk of blowout on 18" wheels?

Tell ou one thing - 32 psi sure made the car feel luxurious! All the little felt bumps at 45 psi in the stock Michelins - gone!

My Hakka R5 EV tires cost $355 CAD apiece. I'd say the grip and handling is good so far, but the ride is not smooth. They're quite bumpy and wobbly. I took them back to the tire shop to get them rebalanced and put hub centric rings on and it's a bit better, but I'd say I'm still somewhat disappointed in them.