Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire shopping - Looking at the NOKIAN TYRES HAKKAPELIITTA R5 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Hakka R5 EV tires cost $355 CAD apiece. I'd say the grip and handling is good so far, but the ride is not smooth. They're quite bumpy and wobbly. I took them back to the tire shop to get them rebalanced and put hub centric rings on and it's a bit better, but I'd say I'm still somewhat disappointed in them.
That is really disappointing to hear. I usually have great luck with their winter tires and was going to try those on my refresh Model S. Not sure what to go with now.

Vredestein Wintertrac Pro might be worth a look. Relatively inexpensive, good specs including XL load rating, good reviews and comes in most Tesla OE tire sizes.
Thanks - do you think they are as quiet as a dedicated EV tire and will there be much loss of range too? Too bad the Pirellis are out of stock everywhere. Not sure why Pirelli is having such a hard time making those.

You will be fine and I doubt youd regret it. If you do end up getting them, report back after 1st winter with them on.

Note that early gen dedicated EV tires are not that great, mostly a marketing ploy. Need a few more years for this part of the market to catchup.

Vredesteins are typically quieter than any of the OE Tesla tires (even with the useless anti-NVH foam).

Range loss with dedicated winter tires and in winter is just a trade off you have to deal with especially if up in Canada or Alaska, etc. less so in Ohio or Hudson Valleys.

Update!
Finally installed them this Saturday. Weather is still warm for the weekend but should drop to around 2-3C by Monday.

First drive, no complaints at all: not wobbly or "soft feeling". Haven't given it the full accelerator but at close to highway speed, a slight hum that is not any noisier than the OEM times. I inflated them to 44PSI, might drop them to 38-39, but even at 44 they are not particularly noisy.

Since they are on steel wheels, I will wait a bit before commenting on efficiency but at current weather, they don't seem to be a large penalty over the OEM ones.

Speaking of the OEM tires: put 16,000KM on them since we took delivery, already at 5mm on the front, 4mm at the rear. With the rotation, I'd expect another 16,000KM and that's it, 32,000km lifespan. I am not driving it hard (of course the weight matters and all), but I am not impressed. At least they are wearing evenly inside and out...

We shouldn't drive as much next year overall, but given we swap tires for the winter, getting two years on them really tells me I won't buy those again.

P.S.: Hope you love my wheels! Definitely got a lot of hate in the local Tesla group, but at the end of the day, they perform the same exact job for the 4-5 months of the year they are on!

unknown.png

Update!
Finally installed them this Saturday. Weather is still warm for the weekend but should drop to around 2-3C by Monday.

First drive, no complaints at all: not wobbly or "soft feeling". Haven't given it the full accelerator but at close to highway speed, a slight hum that is not any noisier than the OEM times. I inflated them to 44PSI, might drop them to 38-39, but even at 44 they are not particularly noisy.

Since they are on steel wheels, I will wait a bit before commenting on efficiency but at current weather, they don't seem to be a large penalty over the OEM ones.

Speaking of the OEM tires: put 16,000KM on them since we took delivery, already at 5mm on the front, 4mm at the rear. With the rotation, I'd expect another 16,000KM and that's it, 32,000km lifespan. I am not driving it hard (of course the weight matters and all), but I am not impressed. At least they are wearing evenly inside and out...

We shouldn't drive as much next year overall, but given we swap tires for the winter, getting two years on them really tells me I won't buy those again.

P.S.: Hope you love my wheels! Definitely got a lot of hate in the local Tesla group, but at the end of the day, they perform the same exact job for the 4-5 months of the year they are on!

View attachment 874058

I love it! Kinda cyberpunk to see a shiny new Tesla with crusty old steelies on it! :) :)

For what it's worth, Nokian Hakka R is about all anyone uses for winter tyres here in Norway. They are Tesla's standard fit on the winter wheel set we all order with our cars here (winter wheels are even on the build configurator for Norway and we just choose with or without studs). Nobody swaps tyres around here.

They are very good. You can absolutely expect to notice some difference in ride though, depending on how sensitive you are. They are softer and have more tread block movement - that is what makes them winter tyres!

Enjoy!

Update!

View attachment 874058
Which steelies did you use? Or rather, off what car did the steelies come from.
I did the same thing when I had my STi. Steelies from a Honda CRV were about the only ones that fit over the brembo calipers.

Which steelies did you use? Or rather, off what car did the steelies come from.
I did the same thing when I had my STi. Steelies from a Honda CRV were about the only ones that fit over the brembo calipers.
So that story is a bit unclear. Previous owner says they were on a Honda Accord, but the size of tires (which was 235/45/18 98V) is not offered on it. So either they were running a “really weird” size on their car in the winter, or they also bought them from someone else that used it on another car.

Everything cleared perfectly on them, we had them mounted on the car when we took delivery in February and used them for the rest of the winter with the older tires, but no issues at all!

You should see all the hate they get on a local tesla group. Acting like the car is gonna implode or something.

Last edited:
I love it! Kinda cyberpunk to see a shiny new Tesla with crusty old steelies on it! :) :)

For what it's worth, Nokian Hakka R is about all anyone uses for winter tyres here in Norway. They are Tesla's standard fit on the winter wheel set we all order with our cars here (winter wheels are even on the build configurator for Norway and we just choose with or without studs). Nobody swaps tyres around here.

They are very good. You can absolutely expect to notice some difference in ride though, depending on how sensitive you are. They are softer and have more tread block movement - that is what makes them winter tyres!

Enjoy!
Yeah I was familiar with them also, growing up in Quebec. My dad even has some Hakka on his Chevy Volt!

I am used to winter tyres on my previous cars so it’s not really jarring to me anymore, though they seem to be a bit smoother rolling than some others I’ve had.

And the crusty old steelies were a really good deal when we needed winter tires and wheels for insurance / safety reasons after taking delivery. Very glad I didn’t stick to the MXM4 over the winter. They would have probably been fine but given how easy to wear down they are…

Just tested them (R5 ev) out during our first snow day in Minnesota. Felt very in control (maybe not as much as with our audi q7 on hakka 10s). Had a bit of slippage on an icy bridge when I let go of the accelerator (with max regen) and quickly regained control with a bit acceleration - was a good 8-10 car lengths behind the car in front and no one to the side or behind so no real panic. Also did some intentional hard turns with hard acceleration on an unplowed street, fishtailed as expected but again quickly regained control after easing off the accelerator. I havent really noticed much a of road noise difference, but then again I only put 500 miles on the oem continentals to begin with. Overall pretty happy with them, still a bit bitter about the price, $1850 including the tire insurance (which I absolutely had to get after getting two flats, one not patchable, in the same tire in the two weeks of owning the car)

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and mnev
Just tested them (R5 ev) out during our first snow day in Minnesota. Felt very in control (maybe not as much as with our audi q7 on hakka 10s). Had a bit of slippage on an icy bridge when I let go of the accelerator (with max regen) and quickly regained control with a bit acceleration - was a good 8-10 car lengths behind the car in front and no one to the side or behind so no real panic. Also did some intentional hard turns with hard acceleration on an unplowed street, fishtailed as expected but again quickly regained control after easing off the accelerator. I havent really noticed much a of road noise difference, but then again I only put 500 miles on the oem continentals to begin with. Overall pretty happy with them, still a bit bitter about the price, $1850 including the tire insurance (which I absolutely had to get after getting two flats, one not patchable, in the same tire in the two weeks of owning the car)

Damn, $1850! I think I will be looking for other options. Was looking to keep this around $1000. Might go with CrossClimate2 as I hear those are great all around tires. Not traditional snow tires but not sure I need those since I don't live in a rural location.

Thanks for reporting on the R5 EV's.

I have had the R5 EVs on my '22 S for about 600 miles. Got a nail after 300 miles and Discount Tire fixed for free. I did NOT buy insurance after spending the $1850 because I like being married but should've. They said they cut and reglued the foam. Disappointing but life happens. They look good. My hearing isn't awesome but they seem to be as quiet or quieter as oem Pirelli Elect Zeros.

I did not drive in the snow yet because of the first snow and of course was rear-ended sitting in a HS parking lot line. But they look like they'll handle it great.

Attachments

• 20221104_162030.jpg
    20221104_162030.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20221105_120254.jpg
    20221105_120254.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 132
First snow here in Ottawa!
Very slushy weather with decent accumulation, particularly slippery.

One thing is sure, they have a lot of grip. Their force might be on tapped snow than slush, but overall really happy with them. Noise wise, I'd say somewhat better than the OEM, at least on dry pavement. Slush is noisy regardless so not the best time to say, but they've been a great choice so far. I would most likely pick them again, but I'll wait a bit more before commenting further.

Regarding efficiency: terrible switch in weather to tell, but they don't seem considerably worse than the MXM4. On my commute I generally do 130-140w/km, but now I was around 160w/km, except the weather was 10-15C colder.

Been a week since we mounted the R5 EV on the car. Put around 300km on them already and so far so good. They work very well in the snow, noise is very good for winter tires. They ride harsher than the MXM4, but I might just be too high on the pressure currently (42PSI).

Tapped snow, ice, dry or wet roads, no complaints. In the slush they are a tad slippery but not worse than other winter tires. Feels very confidence inspiring, what I would expect from Nokians.

-----------------------------
Efficiency:

The following part is extrapolation based on my own personal data. I track it all with Teslascope and extrapolate from known values I have. I generally do the following trip with Autopilot enabled to the speed limit + 10kmh. The average speed on the following runs is very similar, the main difference is the temperature and tires / wheels. Reminder that the Nokians are mounted on steelies, so it PROBABLY have further of an impact. Think of it as a "worst case" scenario. On all trips, the battery was preheated before departure for 25 minutes while plugged in. The wattage I quote is based form the moment I start driving.

The TL; DR: Efficiency is on par or a tad better than other winter tires. They are a tad bit less efficient than the MXM4, but very likely on par with the X-Ice Snow or a tad better.

At 0C, around 80km average on a regional road, averaged approximately 170-180w/km. On the MXM4, around 20C I average 130-140w/km on the same trip. Say a 20% penalty to get us to 0C comparison, 160-170w/km would make sense? If so, that's not a huge penalty for proper winter tires. I don't have a good comparison run with the X-Ice for those speed unfortunately. I would guess around the same as the R5.

On the return trip, the weather was terrible, 120kmh on the highway (90 average over the entire trip), so I won't even consider it reliable: very windy, snowing, -2C, I was pulling around 225w/km on average. A good summer run would be around 170w/km at 20c, say again 20% penalty for the cold, 205w/km. I honestly do not think it is representative to be honest. 225w/km is pretty much on par to a similar run last winter in similar very terrible conditions on the X-Ice, I was around 190-200 w/km in more "normal" weather. I would expect around there on the R5 EV (I will update or do another post once I have another run that is more appropriate to compare with).

So far, my conclusion for efficiency is they are on par, maybe slightly better than the other winter tires that are generally recommended around here. The "EV" part of the name was never about efficiency, really about noise and in that regard no complaints. Regardless, I would much rather charge a bit more every trip than drive with the MXM4 in the winter.

-----------------------------
Few more thoughts:

Say we were shopping again; would we get the R5 EV? Very likely. I do a lot of winter driving and for me they are perfectly suited to that. Very confidence inspiring.

Are they worth the 150-200 CAD difference (depending on the sales on the Michelin) over the X-Ice Snow? I'd happily pay it, but I would totally understand why someone wouldn't. Both are very competent tires and most people would probably not be able to tell the difference. If you drive a lot in the winter, get the Nokians, otherwise the X-Ice are excellent.

To add onto this thread, been a month since we got them. Since then, we got them moved onto the Aero wheels (one of the steelies seemed bent (balanced it twice, no change, balanced on aero, all good). For a bit I was afraid the tires were out of rounds, but no, only the rims. That's good news for us.

As for the driving, still really happy with noise and all. Traction is excellent in the snow, compacted or loose. Takes quite a bit to upset the balance of the car.

Efficiency is still quite good, I think in our case the biggest penalty really comes from the cold and not the tires themselves. I still stand by the points above. Switching from steeling to Aero helped improved the numbers slightly, so I really thing it's just the cold penalty more than the tires themselves. I'll report of the thread remaining when I switch them over, though I might need to get the alignment checked on the car as I seem to be wearing more on the interior (at least per the tech doing the tire swap, I don't particularly agree with his numbers but whatever...).

Reactions: highlightreel
I've now been using the Hakka R5 (NOT EV) for a couple hundred miles on my Model Y. Commenting here since this thread was what popped up for me in Google search when I was first shopping, and I don't see a similar thread on the Model Y forums. 😊

I wanted the EV variant originally, but they were out of stock, I didn't want to wait, and the tire shop sold me on not needing them. So far I have no regrets on not waiting. The tires are a bit loud at low speed depending on what is on the ground, but I don't think foam would help with that/from my understanding that is expected with winter tires. At high speed I don't notice anything different than the OEM tires. My cost (Seattle area) per tire was $365, no insurance. I haven't been paying attention to their efficiency other than not noticing anything drastically worse than with OEM tires.

Reactions: -Amanda
Hi All,
My car was in a collision and I need to swap 2 tires immediately, currently have R3s with 5/32s of tread all around on the car. I'd like R5 EVs but they are OOS nationally. Does anyone think I'd have an issue with mixing 2 R3s at 5/32 with 2 new R5s? Then for next season swapping the 2 R3s for either 2 R5 EVs or regular R5s?

Thanks!