Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend a trusted place to get winter tires swapped out in Toronto / East End- Beaches?

I was going to have Tesla do it along with my caliber service, but they're telling me they won't do the swap (which is weird since the summers are on their own rims and they gotta take the tires off anyway for the caliper service - but whatever).

Yes - I know I can do it myself, etc.. etc... cheaper.. etc etc... but whatever... I just want someone else to deal with it.

My Kal-Tire go to is also closed for swaps...

I'm guessing with everything locked down- maybe I'll need to find a "come to you" service.

any recommendations?

Kal Tire is open for winter tires swaps. This is considered an essential service
Really? The website says:

Personal Use Vehicles Only emergency services are being provided at this time. Please shop and book online if you require tires or services for emergency transportation.

Emergency services for personal use passenger and light truck customers will include:

• Flat tire repairs
  • Replacement of tires with unsafe tread – through new tire sales, seasonal swaps or changeovers
  • Tire air pressure maintenance
  • Mechanical repairs and maintenance required for continued safe operation
  • Replacement of batteries

Really? The website says:

Personal Use Vehicles Only emergency services are being provided at this time. Please shop and book online if you require tires or services for emergency transportation.

Emergency services for personal use passenger and light truck customers will include:

• Flat tire repairs
  • Replacement of tires with unsafe tread – through new tire sales, seasonal swaps or changeovers
  • Tire air pressure maintenance
  • Mechanical repairs and maintenance required for continued safe operation
  • Replacement of batteries

I'd say winter tire swaps qualify under the "seasonal swaps" you've quoted from the KalTire website.

I got mine swapped at Spence Tire yesterday. I stayed in the car the whole time and I never saw another customer. I think they are booking everyone an hour apart. Total time was about 40 minutes.

I also got the replika rims as my new summer rims. I had a slight problem to get the tire pressure monitoring system to work with the new sensors (received an error message that it couldn't find sensors) but it ended up working itself out later in the day.

Can anyone recommend a trusted place to get winter tires swapped out in Toronto / East End- Beaches?

I was going to have Tesla do it along with my caliber service, but they're telling me they won't do the swap (which is weird since the summers are on their own rims and they gotta take the tires off anyway for the caliper service - but whatever).

Yes - I know I can do it myself, etc.. etc... cheaper.. etc etc... but whatever... I just want someone else to deal with it.

My Kal-Tire go to is also closed for swaps...

I'm guessing with everything locked down- maybe I'll need to find a "come to you" service.

any recommendations?
Just got my tire swap done at KalTire in Milton.

1. The fee for the brake service is now $120 + tax. It's still cheaper than what Tesla charges (I think they charge $175+tax). I remember reading a couple of posts on here in the past that they charge $55 for the brake service. No idea when their price went up.
  2. My tires were not inflated to 45 psi, so my dash has the pressure low warning. This was a bit surprising as they work on Tesla's quite a bit. Anyway I can fix this easily later tonight at home
I was in and out of there in 90 mins. Other than the above two observations, every thing else was great.

1. The fee for the brake service is now $120 + tax. It's still cheaper than what Tesla charges (I think they charge $175+tax). I remember reading a couple of posts on here in the past that they charge $55 for the brake service. No idea when their price went up.
  2. My tires were not inflated to 45 psi, so my dash has the pressure low warning. This was a bit surprising as they work on Tesla's quite a bit. Anyway I can fix this easily later tonight at home
I was in and out of there in 90 mins. Other than the above two observations, every thing else was great.

I think the recommended is 42psi now? I'm sure yours were lower than that though, if you were getting warnings.

I store my tires at KalTire in Etobicoke (Kipling Ave) and I have for about 3 years. Unfortunately during seasonal swaps, they hire a lot of temporary workers and it has been a DISASTER. I store three sets with them and in October when we did the summer to winter change over, they got all 3 cars wrong... WAY WRONG.

In addition, they broke the TPMS on one Lexus ES. The Tesla was at 33PSI and the other Lexus RX didn't get the TPMS reprogrammed at all. I was not happy. (What is worse is that the card they place inside the Tesla said that the tires had been set to 45PSI... so they knew what it should be, they just didn't do it).

This time for the summer swap... they got PSI wrong on the Tesla and the RX and they broke a TPMS on the RX. They also told me RX tires were "bald" (they were low - not bald) and quoted me a price for new Conti's that turned out to be 20% higher than my goto place for tires (Tires23 - they don't do tire storage). My KalTire location use to be great but ever since the old manager left, it has really gone downhill.

Reactions: SilverGS
Did mine in Milton this past Monday - I like the setup, you walk in the door, entire showroom/waiting area closed, and you are "roped" off by stacks of tires in a semi-circle, preventing you from taking another step in. There's a stand with hand sanitizer on the left where you leave your keys/card and get a SMS msg when done. Come back, service rep comes over and leaves a credit card terminal, tap and away you go.

He also mentioned they're doing only about 10 cars a day vs 40-50 normally this time of the year, so no concerns about a packed parking lot (which was the norm) and people milling around waiting. There were two other fellows waiting outside for their cars but they were nicely separated by about 15 ft. from the front door. Tires pressures all good - luckily have my own torque wrench so i don't have to go back to tighten. Great experience!

Did mine in Milton this past Monday - I like the setup, you walk in the door, entire showroom/waiting area closed, and you are "roped" off by stacks of tires in a semi-circle, preventing you from taking another step in. There's a stand with hand sanitizer on the left where you leave your keys/card and get a SMS msg when done. Come back, service rep comes over and leaves a credit card terminal, tap and away you go.

He also mentioned they're doing only about 10 cars a day vs 40-50 normally this time of the year, so no concerns about a packed parking lot (which was the norm) and people milling around waiting. There were two other fellows waiting outside for their cars but they were nicely separated by about 15 ft. from the front door. Tires pressures all good - luckily have my own torque wrench so i don't have to go back to tighten. Great experience!
Awesome!

Winter tires swaps in ways should be emergency, a winter tire doesn't hold up well in warm weather and takes longer to stop being an unsafe situation...

Actually it's not really a big deal to run winters all the time and your grip will be great because the rubber is a softer compound. This is why regular tires are a bad idea in winter - their harder compound gets even harder and grips even worse (think plastic wheels on ice).

The real problem with running winters in summer is you'll burn through tires way quicker once the weather warms up.