Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire: Tesla shop or Local shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for buying winter tire but not sure what to buy.
I used to drive mountain area for skiing. For those familiar with WA: Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, and Crystal Mountain are my major destinations in winter time.

I found Tesla is selling winter tires on their own website, but not sure if it's worth for, compared to buy tires from local shops. (e.g. Firestone, Les Schwab ..)
Model X 19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Also, there's following question: how much does it cost for installing tires on MX? Is installation cost same with normal SUV tires? (not cost of tires, cost of installation itself)

Just curious, but are the lift points clearly identified on the underside of Teslas, so that a tire store or shop that hasn't seen one before can properly lift the car without damaging it by placing the lift pads in inappropriate locations?

I used to drive mountain area for skiing. For those familiar with WA: Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, and Crystal Mountain are my major destinations in winter time.

I found Tesla is selling winter tires on their own website, but not sure if it's worth for, compared to buy tires from local shops. (e.g. Firestone, Les Schwab ..)

Also, there's following question: how much does it cost for installing tires on MX? Is installation cost same with normal SUV tires? (not cost of tires, cost of installation itself)

The installation of tires on a Tesla should not cost any more then any other vehicle with tire pressuring monitoring systems. You can quickly call around and get a install quote.

As far as tires/wheels, depends on cost, need, and weather.

First off I have been shopping and studying this exact thing. My conclusion is one way to do it, others may not think it is worth it, or have different solutions or standards.

So I will share my situation, and you can do what you will with the information. I wanted dedicated wheels and winter tires, sound like you are the same.

First off, these vehicles are notoriously expensive and difficult to get repaired, maybe a bit easier for you in Seattle area. Timing can take a long time as well. Hopefully in the future this is not such a issue. So I try to do all in my power to keep them on the road undamaged.

The single most important thing on a car it tires. It all comes down to 4 areas, of what 6"x9" contact with the road, or ice, or snow, or water, that we are relying on to keep our cars on the road. This is a very small surface area to stop and control a 6,000lb machine. All the fancy things about cars, aerodynamics, ceramic breaks, 100s of HP, best suspesion, ect.... is to help improve the interaction of tire and surface. You can have the best of above, with s*&t tires, none of it matters.

So for tires I will always believe it is worth the extra cost for the best tires. If I can afford a 115k car, I can afford this protection and piece of mind. Mind you I had them on my 5k car before.

This leaves me with one option, get the Nokian, currently the best is the studded Hakkapeliita 9. Some don't like the studded or think they are not necessary. The thing is studded tires are the only ones that will preform on ice. So if you know that you will never drive on ice, then studded are not necessary. I can't be 100% sure of this, even if it is a rare occurrence, I still believe it is worth having the best protection.

This leads to the shopping, that you asked about. I looked at the Tesla winter kit as well. My main problem was the tires, not the best and average from the reviews I could find. Some people also took them off because they did not like them would never buy again, this situation not common but applied.

I liked the idea of stock, you know correct size weight ect... Shopping can get complicated. But the cost of basically throwing away the new tires and putting others on was not worth it to me. I looked elsewhere for other options.

Also liked the idea of using 19" wheels. So I looked around to see what else was available. I was really only interested in stock size, ie same rim size, tire size, offset, and weight ratings as OEM. Not a lot of options. To me this was more important to how they looked.

Here is what I was able to find:

Wheels: 19" Telsa, TWS Sebring, TWS Yas.
20" TST Sportline, TSW Max, BBS SU

There are other options for bigger and fancy but they started to increase the cost greatly, also Nokan does not make 22". Not interested in spending that much.

Tires: Nokian only makes the new Hak 9's in compatible 20" tires sizes, the 19" tires are only available in Hak 8's.

So I had to choose between the 19" with Hak 8 or the 20" with Hak 9. After price comparison, and seeing the difference with the new Hak 9's I decided they were worth the extra cost, of bigger tires (~$100) and rims (~$400). Probably about $500 more. They are quieter and have a better efficiency, with improved stud design.

The most cost efficient choice was the TWS Max (F 20x9 & R 20x10), and Hak 9 (265/45-20 F & 275/45-20 R). Got a quote, installed from Discount Tire, not including the TPMS for $2,534. They are checking if they can get the TPMS. Can get them from Telsa for $108 each if need be.

So in the end I paid around what the Tesla price is, for a better tire setup that is OEM sizing.

the benefit of getting the Tesla tire is that they will handle swapping out the tires for you if you happen to have the car there for another service. Or if you have a problem with the tire.

And the avg Tesla tech will be much better than the avg Discount tire or whatever tire tech. And while it isn't rocket science, dealing with the TPMS and mounting and balancing (and lifting the car!) properly still gets screwed up.

While the Pirellis may not be the absolute best winter tire, they are a significant improvement in cold temps and snowy rds vs A/S and I'm not sure the slight improvement with going to a Nokian or is worth the hassle of not having Tesla able to deal with the tires.

I got the Nokian and wish in hindsight I just got the Tesla winter tire package for less hassle.

• Informative
Reactions: modamoda
Be aware that the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 are very soft and wear quickly. They are very good on snow, but the downside is that they are quite slippery on salted, wet winter roads. So choose wisely based upon driving conditions.

I have never noted what you refer to. Do you have an independent test that has found the same?

For the OP, I would definitely check out the Hakka 8 or 9 as well. Someone noted above that they have been rated better on efficiency. I had thought they did a studded and non studded version and so you might want to look into that as you may find you don't need them based off the winter conditions you typically will find yourself.

I have never noted what you refer to. Do you have an independent test that has found the same?
Google Oversetter
(The annual winter tire (both studded and studless) test from the Norwegian Automobile Association - NAF)

I've been driving on studless winter tires for the last 25 years or so. R2 are, IMO, one of the most slippery in wet conditions of all the different studless tires I've had. If most of your driving is on icy, snow covered roads, then R2 is an excellent choice. If not, then other brands are better in wet conditions. Doe to the soft compound of the R2, which also gives the excellent ice & snow grip, they also wear faster when not driving on icy, snow covered roads. In a big, heavy and powerful Tesla, they will possibly not last very long. Don't be mistaken, they are good tires, but primarily on ice & snow.

Some Norwegian X owners running R2s might be able to add some data points here.

Google Oversetter

The installation of tires on a Tesla should not cost any more then any other vehicle with tire pressuring monitoring systems. You can quickly call around and get a install quote.

As far as tires/wheels, depends on cost, need, and weather.

First off I have been shopping and studying this exact thing. My conclusion is one way to do it, others may not think it is worth it, or have different solutions or standards.

So I will share my situation, and you can do what you will with the information. I wanted dedicated wheels and winter tires, sound like you are the same.

First off, these vehicles are notoriously expensive and difficult to get repaired, maybe a bit easier for you in Seattle area. Timing can take a long time as well. Hopefully in the future this is not such a issue. So I try to do all in my power to keep them on the road undamaged.

The single most important thing on a car it tires. It all comes down to 4 areas, of what 6"x9" contact with the road, or ice, or snow, or water, that we are relying on to keep our cars on the road. This is a very small surface area to stop and control a 6,000lb machine. All the fancy things about cars, aerodynamics, ceramic breaks, 100s of HP, best suspesion, ect.... is to help improve the interaction of tire and surface. You can have the best of above, with s*&t tires, none of it matters.

So for tires I will always believe it is worth the extra cost for the best tires. If I can afford a 115k car, I can afford this protection and piece of mind. Mind you I had them on my 5k car before.

This leaves me with one option, get the Nokian, currently the best is the studded Hakkapeliita 9. Some don't like the studded or think they are not necessary. The thing is studded tires are the only ones that will preform on ice. So if you know that you will never drive on ice, then studded are not necessary. I can't be 100% sure of this, even if it is a rare occurrence, I still believe it is worth having the best protection.

This leads to the shopping, that you asked about. I looked at the Tesla winter kit as well. My main problem was the tires, not the best and average from the reviews I could find. Some people also took them off because they did not like them would never buy again, this situation not common but applied.

I liked the idea of stock, you know correct size weight ect... Shopping can get complicated. But the cost of basically throwing away the new tires and putting others on was not worth it to me. I looked elsewhere for other options.

Also liked the idea of using 19" wheels. So I looked around to see what else was available. I was really only interested in stock size, ie same rim size, tire size, offset, and weight ratings as OEM. Not a lot of options. To me this was more important to how they looked.

Here is what I was able to find:

Wheels: 19" Telsa, TWS Sebring, TWS Yas.
20" TST Sportline, TSW Max, BBS SU

There are other options for bigger and fancy but they started to increase the cost greatly, also Nokan does not make 22". Not interested in spending that much.

Tires: Nokian only makes the new Hak 9's in compatible 20" tires sizes, the 19" tires are only available in Hak 8's.

So I had to choose between the 19" with Hak 8 or the 20" with Hak 9. After price comparison, and seeing the difference with the new Hak 9's I decided they were worth the extra cost, of bigger tires (~$100) and rims (~$400). Probably about $500 more. They are quieter and have a better efficiency, with improved stud design.

The most cost efficient choice was the TWS Max (F 20x9 & R 20x10), and Hak 9 (265/45-20 F & 275/45-20 R). Got a quote, installed from Discount Tire, not including the TPMS for $2,534. They are checking if they can get the TPMS. Can get them from Telsa for $108 each if need be.

So in the end I paid around what the Tesla price is, for a better tire setup that is OEM sizing.

I know this was posted awhile ago, but the information is so detailed and helpful. I just moved to NH and live on a mountainous dirt road. People have recommended geting studded tires for my MX, which I plan on doing along with wheels ans TPMS. However, wanted to know if the TPMS have to be Tesla's and if so how do I get them. I tried sending a message via my online Tesla account but no response. Customer service is immpossible to get through to as well, and I now live 2hrs from the closest Tesla service center. TIA for any info and advice.

Hi Tardis5,

Tesla OEM TPMS sensors are 433Mhz and are made by Continental.
You may buy them from Tesla or go to a TPMS website, eBay, Amazon
and do a lookup for your year of model X and be sure they say 433Mhz.
Popular tire stores - Tire Rack etc, also can supply TPMS for your car with the tires
wheels and other accessories you may buy from them.

Good Luck,

Shawn