Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires....All (No) Season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve made the decision to keep my P3D+ 20” for the time being and will swap out with the Gemini 19” when the Mrs’ LYD arrives. We have a trip coming up to CO and anticipate some wintry weather both coming and going and want a nice grippy tire that will still function well in more favorable weather.

Open to suggestions, best value for money is preferred. I could also just go with the 4S already on the car but unsure of their performance when it really gets cold out (below freezing)

So, the consensus is don't use the 20s with PS4S below 40F - the (very general) rule for high performance summer tires.

THAT said, I've had no issues in 35-40F weather in Seattle, even in the rain/flurries of snow (no actual accumulation). They grip HARD. Now, I tend to definitely drive more conservatively in those temps versus when it's 50F and above. I'd be very, very leery too much below freezing, especially if there's any ice around.

Under 20F? Where are you getting that? Everything I've read says it's "best" not to use them under 40F, and if the tire temperature drops below 20F they should be allowed to come up to 40F before even driving on them to avoid them cracking.
Check out the screenshot below. Information came from tire rack’s PS4S page. I read it as being able to use them down to 20 but needing to bring them back to 40 before use after being at or bellow 20.

Attachments

• 3748AFC8-23A8-4F79-B67B-B45E8AE96D86.jpeg
    3748AFC8-23A8-4F79-B67B-B45E8AE96D86.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 89
So, a tire that can handle wintry Colorado, but summer heat of Dallas? If you're only concerned about the grip when it's cold, perhaps you only need a tire with some silica in its compound. If you need a tire that actually can handle snow, then perhaps a 3mountainpeaksnowflake 3MPSF tire will work. They're snow-rated, but can handle all year weather. The Michelin CrossClimate+ or the Vredestein Quatrac 5. The Vredestein is inexpensive. I have it and it works well as far as I can tell. The snow has been fairly light this winter. Low rolling resistance, doesn't seem any noisier than OEMs. Hard to say about summer grip, since I haven't used it in summer. Not sure if those tires come in the 19" size.

• Helpful
Reactions: NowIsGood
I recommend a dedicated snow tire for snowy conditions. Performance all seasons are pretty crappy in the snow, the closest to barely acceptable snow traction you can get in an all season is something like a Conti ExtremeContact. Other alternative inlude chains or socks,

Reactions: SpigoT
FWIW - I'm in the middle of a Chicago winter running 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All Seasons on my P3D+ with stock performance rims. My daily 50-mile round trip commute includes snow, ice, rain, potholes, salt residue, fluctuating temps, high speeds, lows speeds, etc, and I can attest that the tires handle it all very well.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I recommend a dedicated snow tire for snowy conditions. Performance all seasons are pretty crappy in the snow, the closest to barely acceptable snow traction you can get in an all season is something like a Conti ExtremeContact. Other alternative inlude chains or socks,

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of these. Discount Tire price matched a set on Amazon for $186 each!