Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my garage was not so cluttered with junk, I could too. My house, built in 1963 has a much deeper garage than newer construction seems to have. I think when cars started getting smaller, home builders cheaped out and started making garages smaller too. I knew someone back in the '80s who had an older pre-downsizing Ford Thunderbird. This was a mid-size car in it's day, and it wouldn't fit in their brand new home's garage!
Ours was built this century and was a custom design, with attention given to the size of the garage (thankfully!). When I relocated my Alfa this fall to another winter storage garage, I had to move things around to make space for the Tesla. It was a challenge that most of us can relate to... (except dmd2005 because his photos just aren't right... :biggrin: ). In addition to my wife's car, the garage is home to NINE bikes, SIXTEEN mounted tires, SEVEN golf bags and clubs, a LARGE treadmill and a small deep freeze. Add to that, the usual shelving, tools, bench, skis, snowboards, shop vac and built in vac... and space is tight. And of course the two big wheelie bins for garbage and recycle. Now recognize that only two people ride bikes even close to regularly, two people golf once a year or less (not me) and the elliptical trainer in the house gets used instead of the treadmill and you'll understand my frustration... :redface:

I really (REALLY) wanted a house with a three car garage, even a three car tandem design... but that didn't happen. As is usually the case, the kitchen was given higher priority... :rolleyes:

If my garage was not so cluttered with junk, I could too. My house, built in 1963 has a much deeper garage than newer construction seems to have. I think when cars started getting smaller, home builders cheaped out and started making garages smaller too...
wow, I can only dream of a garage as big as one like dmd2005's!

our house was built in the '30s with a detached single car garage. I had to do a garage fit/overnight test drive because I was worried the MS wouldn't fit through the door. With front bumper almost touching the wall, there's only about 9" clearance from back bumper to the closed garage door, fortunately still enough to open the hatch with garage closed. you should hear all the warning beeps while parking, I guess I will get used to those. Fortunately lots of room on the sides once inside the garage, though the garage door opening is a bit tight - thank goodness for folding mirrors!

wow, I can only dream of a garage as big as one like dmd2005's!

our house was built in the '30s with a detached single car garage. I had to do a garage fit/overnight test drive because I was worried the MS wouldn't fit through the door.

Yeah, houses of that generation seem to have smaller garages too. I lived for a year in a 1940's era house and my (downsized) Chrysler Cordoba had to be touching the wall at the front (I mounted a piece of carpet to a plywood board and stuck it to the wall) in order for the door to close behind the car.

I guess it was in the '50s and '60s when cars got bigger that garages did too.

I guess I am lucky that real estate is "cheaper" than the core of Vancouver and my wife and I got our dream home with a triple garage on an acre of property a few years back. I have 12 x 7 cargo trailer with most my junk and also have 2 sets of wheels/tires at my friends house in Bellingham.

We were able to park a 2012 Infiniti QX56 in the middle spot of the garage, so a Model S isn't a problem. The only problem is that the HPWC won't reach to the furthest parking stall where the 2nd Model S will park and we'll have to rotate spots to charge.

nice photos (nice colour choice, too!). Did you install the Alloygators yourself, or have a shop do it - and if so who sells/installs them locally?
ps thanks for the earlier pointer to Discount Tire

Yes, I installed the Alloygators myself. Watched the youtube instructional videos twice and it seemed simple enough. Bought a soft deadblow Estwing mallet that was non-marking from Home Depot for $25 and an extra tube of super glue and took about 30 mins to glue all the metal tabs to the plastic guards and 20-25 mins to install onto each wheel. Total of 2.5 hours to install gators and swap wheels.

Make sure you have a nice air compressor cuz you have to deflate the tires to install the rings. I ordered them online as I was too lazy to pick them up from Richmond from one of the authorized resellers (google search Alloygator Richmond for resellers and installers). Cost with shipping was around $440 for two sets of Alloygators...got a set of black and silver.

Reset computer for new TPMS and everything is good still without any air leaks. Nice to have actual tire pressures noted on the dash instead of checking the valves with an air gauge every week or two.

Last edited:
Yes, I installed the Alloygators myself. Watched the youtube instructional videos twice and it seemed simple enough. Bought a soft deadblow Estwing mallet that was non-marking from Home Depot for $25 and an extra tube of super glue and took about 30 mins to glue all the metal tabs to the plastic guards and 20-25 mins to install onto each wheel. Total of 2.5 hours to install gators and swap wheels.[...]
thanks for the info, sounds like DIY is the way to go on those. Still deciding what to do about winter wheels/tires for the coming-soon MS, but lots of good info here on TMC. Thx

LUXURY!

I'm willing to bet no one here parks their Tesla Model S in a 1920's "outbuilding"/garage on gravel floor...
But the UMC charges at a good 238V at the same time as my Smart ED does on 110V, pays to upgrade electrical. l-)

At least our garage has a second floor with huge amount of storage space. Nothing is laying around on the main floor that's not needed day to day.

I can walk around the Tesla no problem. I can also walk around the Smart, with my arms fully extended out, lol!

Weren't we talking about winter rims/tires?

Oh yes, where were we, right, the Nokian R2's are working well, much more road noise than the summer OEM's, but the grip is epic. My wife floored it from dead stop the other day and it felt great to be a passenger. :)

LUXURY!

I'm willing to bet no one here parks their Tesla Model S in a 1920's "outbuilding"/garage on gravel floor...

ummmm...my HPWC is outside my barn (built in the 20's). Gravel driveway.... I park there every night that I charge the car. I'll take that bet.:biggrin:

Oh, and we had snow (10-15cm on Sunday) in lovely Dufferin County. I tried our my 85D with the factory winter Pirellis on 19'' rims. They may be getting trashed by a lot on this site, but worked nicely both handling and stopping.

I tried our my 85D with the factory winter Pirellis on 19'' rims. They may be getting trashed by a lot on this site, but worked nicely both handling and stopping.

I'm sure the Pirellis are fine and better than summer or all season tires. It's just that I've twice had the opportunity to drive Pirelli-equipped loaners on snow days back to back with my own Hakka R2s and the difference was very noticeable to me.

I've been getting some real-world testing of the R2's these last few days. My initial impression is that they're significantly better than their predecessors I bought in the fall of 2011. Or perhaps it's more about the weight balance and traction control in the Tesla. Whatever the case, I'm happy with them and glad to not be these guys:

summertiresclub.jpg

So far the Hakkas work wonderfully for me, short of me flooring the go pedal I haven't had any slip at all so far, I'm loving this car in winter.

As for garages, mine was built in the 70s, when cars were huge, but not very tall. door is 6'2" tall, couldn't park my old minivan in the garage as it didn't physically fit, but the model S is no problem at all, with my wife's car, and a LOT of junk that I need to deal with... I used to have an early 80s Mercedes S class, and a 1955 Buick wagon in there, but risk banging my head every time I walk in...

Watching this video right now, came up after watching Bjorn's latest video about studded tires on ice.
This is some serious weather.
This is exactly the weather that any vehicle I buy must be able to work in. That's typical winter on the prairies, snow drifts across the road easily when there's nothing to block it. He'd have better visibility if he turned off the high beams, they're bouncing off the snow and making his visibility worse, fog lights, if available, might work better.
I frequently find myself driving through that type of garbage, and "staying home" often isn't an option (or should the 911 dispatcher explain that the ambulance isn't staffed today due to weather?)

I tried our my 85D with the factory winter Pirellis on 19'' rims. They may be getting trashed by a lot on this site, but worked nicely both handling and stopping.

Just wait until you get really slippery conditions. You'll find they won't climb a 1 degree slope unless you take a run at it or turn off traction control. Not kidding.

When I was running Pirellis, I would have to turn off TC to climb tiny hills all the time. Even to back out of a parking spot on occasion. And big hills, well it was a struggle. So far I've never had to disable TC with the XIce3.

Reminder to Check Lug Nut Torque

Whenever Kal Tire does any tire work on my cars, they leave a card signed by the tech attesting to the torque they set the lug nuts to and the air pressure in the tires. It comes with a reminder to bring the car back in for a free check and re-torquing of the lug nuts after a few days.

This is something I always do when I change my wheels myself. I have a properly calibrated torque wrench. I torque the nuts, drive around the block a few times and re-check. Then a few days/couple 100 kms later, I check again. Invariably, they will take a tiny bit of snugging up.

I'm not sure if Tesla Service does this (never used them for tire work) but thought I'd remind folks to check their lug nut torque (should be 129 lbs-ft) after you've had your winters on for a bit.

This is exactly the weather that any vehicle I buy must be able to work in. That's typical winter on the prairies, snow drifts across the road easily when there's nothing to block it. He'd have better visibility if he turned off the high beams, they're bouncing off the snow and making his visibility worse, fog lights, if available, might work better.
I frequently find myself driving through that type of garbage, and "staying home" often isn't an option (or should the 911 dispatcher explain that the ambulance isn't staffed today due to weather?)
I was travelling on the highway at night just outside of Regina a few years ago. The snow was blowing across the highway and I couldn't clearly see the lane markings. I had the feeling I was too far over and said to myself "You're making a mistake." The next thing I knew I realized I was rolling in the ditch. I was driving an '81 Land Cruiser at the time, it had roll bars. I came out without a scratch. Car was totalled though. RCMP said they would take my statement if there weren't too many other accidents to take see to.

Q: before delivery, can I purchase my own set of winter tires from another vendor, give them to the Tesla service centre, and once my car arrives have them swap out the OEM Michelin all-season and mount the new tires on the std 19" wheels I ordered with the car? - even if I have to pay a fee to do so.

just to followup and provide the answer to my own previous question for the record - I asked Tesla and the Service Centre will not do this. I'm told they will not work on any tires not bought from them. There goes that idea :(

so what I've decided to do is stick with the OEM Michelin all-seasons for now, when I take delivery of my MS on Wednesday. Meanwhile we recently bought a set of Nokian WRG3-SUV for my wife's CRV (btw, Kal Tire service was great). This winter, if conditions absolutely require it I will drive her car on those days. I'll take my time to look for a nice aftermarket set of summer wheels, then probably at some point move the Michelin all-seasons to new wheels and buy a set of winter tires for the std 19" wheels for next winter. That gives me time too to look for a suitable floor jack, new torque wrench etc

just to followup and provide the answer to my own previous question for the record - I asked Tesla and the Service Centre will not do this. I'm told they will not work on any tires not bought from them. There goes that idea :(

so what I've decided to do is stick with the OEM Michelin all-seasons for now, when I take delivery of my MS on Wednesday. Meanwhile we recently bought a set of Nokian WRG3-SUV for my wife's CRV (btw, Kal Tire service was great). This winter, if conditions absolutely require it I will drive her car on those days. I'll take my time to look for a nice aftermarket set of summer wheels, then probably at some point move the Michelin all-seasons to new wheels and buy a set of winter tires for the std 19" wheels for next winter. That gives me time too to look for a suitable floor jack, new torque wrench etc

For the record Tesla in Toronto will install your own tires and wheels.
I bought Tesla 19s from someone here on TMC. I then had them shipped to my own tire shop who put Michelin X Ice tires on them.
I dropped them at Lawrence who then added the new TPMS and they installed them on my new P85D for me at delivery.

I asked Tesla and the Service Centre will not do this. I'm told they will not work on any tires not bought from them.
This appears to be very service centre specific, there are examples of service centres on both sides of this issue.
Luckily wheels are basically the same on every vehicle out there, and any place selling wheels and tires is able to put them on for you, not to mention pretty much anyone can do it themselves in their garage at home.

I bought my winter wheels and tires and had them mounted and balanced and waiting in my garage before my car even arrived.