Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good stuff, looks like your OE nuts will work.
As for caliper clearance, highly unlikely that the diameter will cause an issue as just about any 18" wheel will clear. It's what we refer to as X-factor, that is the horizontal protrusion of the caliper towards the spoke area of the wheel, that you have to watch for.
See #6 in the diagram below.
Again, the X-factor numbers on the 3 are pretty reasonable, but some steel wheels can lack a bit of clearance in that area so essential to test and make sure you have at least 2 - 3 mm of free space at the closest point.

View attachment 291268
I never though I would watch for the X-Factor when installing a set of wheels... but I certainly will! Thanks!

Reactions: Mad Hungarian
Hi fellow Canuks,

I'm on my first TM3 which I just got in September. It's getting time for me to put winter tires on the 19" sport rims (getting new rims for summer in 2021). I've narrowed it down to the Hakka R3 (from local tire place in Guelph) vs the Pirelli Sottozero 3 (from Tesla). The Hakka's are a shade cheaper but price is not the issue.

I just can't decide which would be better for Guelph & in and around GTA driving. I have a short 6km commute to work but always looking for excuses to drive. I might take the odd trip to the east end of the GTA and maybe to London in the other direction. Covid has forced me to WFH some of the time.

I could use some advice / comments please. Which one would you pick? Thanks!

From my research and experience the Hakka and Blizzak will give you the best grip in heavy snow, but that is because they have more aggressive grip pattern and softer rubber compound. They will wear faster as a result. The Michelin X-Ice is a quieter tire, still with very good snow performance (not as quite as good as the former), but will be more consistent over more seasons.

I would go with Hakka or Blizzak if you live in an area where you have to regularly drive through unplowed roads. The X-Ice for mostly city/highway driving.

Last edited:
I would rather drive in steel spikes than Blizzaks. Hakka’s will give you the best snow performance with pronounced road noise. X-Ice is the best combination of quiet and performance. Blizzaks are just junk IMO. Loud, terrible on wet roads and just average on snow.

From my research and experience the Hakka and Blizzak will give you the best grip in heavy snow, but that is because they have more aggressive grip pattern and softer rubber compound. They will wear faster as a result.

I have to disagree with this one - I found the Hakka to be one of the best wearing winter tires. I managed 5 winters on my last set before they hit the wear bars, and performance didn't really start to drop until that last winter.

Reactions: SmartElectric