Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan is to use my stock wheels (the most basic ones they sell) for the winter and find some better looking 19's for the spring... and put my used Primacy's on them at that time.

That's exactly what I did. I ended up getting Rail Luganos from Tire Rack over the winter and had my previously removed summer/all-season tires installed on them.

- - - Updated - - -

...but the Rial Luganos look much better and are only $189 each. Unfortunately by the time you convert currency, and ship them, they come out at about $375 each. (TSTs are over $400 each US plus shipping!)

Fortunately our currency was near par when I did this.

I have a feeling if I were to wait for that I might not get wheels for another decade...

I'm also debating the wheels that Kal Tire has on their website for the S, they're a hair cheaper than the Rials end up being, and they're kinda funky looking, but I'm not sure what I think.
Which ones were you looking at? My local Kal Tire bemoaned the fact that they didn't have much of a selection and I didn't see anything in their catalogs that really floated my boat. I've had Core Racing previously, for winter tires, and found that they were OK... but *just* OK. Certainly didn't stand up to winter conditions very well, but not applicable for a summer rim I suppose.

The only ones that Kal Tire is showing are Klasse Motor Sport Apex
They have a choice of 2 wheels (matte black, or silver), They're interesting enough looking, but I'm not sold on them just yet. I may bite the bullet and pay for the Rial's but it's a bit painful.
Apex_Black.jpg
Apex_Silver.jpg

I think I'm liking the Rial's more and more. Exchange is the rub though. I'd prefer to get into something that is more like the Tesla Turbine and that seems to be the Lugano.

I guess I can let it lie until the spring. I'd like to find some in the flesh to gauge the colour options, but thinking the graphite to go with my red paint. Something dark, but not black.

I think I'm liking the Rial's more and more. Exchange is the rub though. I'd prefer to get into something that is more like the Tesla Turbine and that seems to be the Lugano.

I guess I can let it lie until the spring. I'd like to find some in the flesh to gauge the colour options, but thinking the graphite to go with my red paint. Something dark, but not black.

I bought the graphite 19" Rials for winter, and they pretty much match the colour of my dark turbines. They are currently buried in my shed but I can take a picture once they're on or at least until I take them out for winter swapping.

For my family driving needs, we mostly need good ice / ploughed road performance.
Deep snow is very rare in GTA, perhaps 5 days per year, and we generally avoid driving those days (I can work from home).

Just got a local quote for $1100 taxes included installed and balanced for :
X-Ice Xi3 | Michelin Tires

An alternative is used tires for $400:
4 Bridgestone Blizzak LM60 for sale | tires, rims | Windsor Region | Kijiji

The LM60 was reviewed as a competent winter tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=181

If I go used, I'd have to pay $100 for install/balance, so the real difference is $600... used vs new.

Grey rims on the MC red looks fantastic!

- - - Updated - - -

The silver version of those look good too....very close to stock.

BestDealTires.ca

Small shop in north GTA, went there today to check out prices and the shop itself, haven't shopped there before, and haven't made up my mind either way yet.

Thanks. I just ordered mine from Simply Tire. There's a group buy on Redflagdeals now. The total was $1344 tax+install/balance included. You also get $70 mail-in rebate on top of this. I've bought from them before.

The T-Sportlines are an almost exact replica of the 21's, but weren't out when I got my Rials. They are expensive, though and the exchange rate doesn't help either.
Near as I can tell, the T-Sportlines and the Rials look identical, but the T-Sportlines are more than double the cost ($189 vs $425) So I'm not sure why the T-Sportlines seem to be the more popular of the 2, am I missing something?

I'm leaning more and more towards the Rials, but my wallet doesn't like that plan much.

Just got a local quote for $1100 taxes included installed and balanced for :
X-Ice Xi3 | Michelin Tires

Nothing wrong with X-Ice Xi3. I have them on my car, and they work well in the very bad Ottawa winter conditions. The Nokkians may have a slight edge in the worst conditions, but IMHO X-Ice are much better in not-horrible conditions. The certainly run circles around the Tesla-supplied Pirellis.