Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran Braelin BR02 19" wheels (made in Canada!) with Xice3's last year.

I give a 1 year (one winter season) update of that combo over on another thread that talks about tire rubbing.

Rather than repeating here, go and read it:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-Rubbing-in-reverse-FIX?p=1177358#post1177358

I have since nudged the maker and distributor of this wheel about what I think is a weak finish not standing up well to our Canadian winters, and looking for suggestions on clear coating or something.

Thanks for that Scott... sounds like my decision to use the stock 19's for the winter and get something else for summer use is probably the best one! Hope you get some satisfaction from Braelin.

I will be through Kamloops on Nov.8 for a supercharge on way to VCR for a service, with the Braelin's on the car.

You can come by and see them first hand.

I would buy them again, but use them ONLY as summertime shoes.

I don't expect anything to happen from a web site form contact to Braelin, or Fastco. I would be AMAZED if anybody picked up on it, or cared enough to correct. Someone tells me now, that they are rating some of their wheels as winter ready... others not. I didn't have that friendly warning a year ago when buying mine and have the pock marks to prove it :crying:

I decided to use my stock 19s as winter rims, and ordered 19x8.5" BBS CH-Rs as my summer rims. Yesterday I did the swap at Tires23, all was well until I got home, then a "TPMS requires service" message popped up. Tried rebooting, resetting, nothing helped. Drove back to the shop, they tried some things, and gave up. Some research today shows Tesla changed sensor suppliers around VIN 50900. Before that, supplier was Baolong, now its Continental. They are not compatible, so beware when buying used rims, they may require new TPMS sensors. The Wurth sensors Tires23 installed were no good for my 820xx VIN.

I found that Tesla's TPMS sensors are surprisingly reasonably priced, and worked out to be the cheapest option for me, and the lowest risk.

For anyone keeping track, I bought TPMS from Tesla, Rials from Tirerack, and Hakka R2 tires from Kal Tire. It's all being assembled by Kal Tire now, and will be ready likely long before my car arrives :|

I will be through Kamloops on Nov.8 for a supercharge on way to VCR for a service, with the Braelin's on the car.

You can come by and see them first hand.

I would buy them again, but use them ONLY as summertime shoes.

I don't expect anything to happen from a web site form contact to Braelin, or Fastco. I would be AMAZED if anybody picked up on it, or cared enough to correct. Someone tells me now, that they are rating some of their wheels as winter ready... others not. I didn't have that friendly warning a year ago when buying mine and have the pock marks to prove it :crying:

Scott,

I run the Technical Services department at Fastco and just checked in with our CS folks and they tell me they’re already on the case (you should have received a reply). We take great pride that Braelin is Canada's only made-to-measure wheel line and any issue like this is a great concern for us.
To explain what may have happened, the B2B software that our dealers use tosearch product by application and order has separate Summer and Winter search buttons to ensure that they get the right results for the intended season. This should normally ensure that your situation doesn't occur in the first place. However it's always possible that your dealer overlooked this and searched and ordered in "Summer" mode. If ordered through our call center by phone we also advise dealers in winter season that these types of finishes are not suitable and if they still want to proceed they need to ensure the customer is aware of this. Lastly, all dealer invoices for non-winter rated product sold at any time of year have a notice on them that further explains this.
Despite all this we've seen that some summer-only product was still being sold to customers in the wrong season but with the customer apparently never being informed, so we've taken the additional step of publishing the season rating directly on our customer-facing websites.We're sorry this information wasn't made available to you at the time of purchase, but will be happy to replace the wheels with a winter-rated model of your choosing.

Regarding your observation of the proximity of the lower front control arm studto the inside edge of most 19" wheels, we've noted that issue and just recently discovered that this has been changed by the factory. The P85 we mapped two years ago (build date 03/13) had the longer stud, however the early 2015 P85D we just got has a noticeably shorter stud that just barely sits proud of the nut. So obviously Tesla chose to correct this at some point. Regardless of which type you have, as long as low profile weights are used and placed slightly inboard of the inner lip edge they should pose no problem.

If you or anyone else here has questions/issues/comments about our wheels or anything in general on the subject I am happy to help :biggrin:

Not sure if this is across the board or not, but when I just bought my tires I was told that the Hakka R2 tires currently have a mail in rebate of $70 as well until december

Nice. I got (I think) a $75 rebate cheque when I replaced my summer Goodyears with Michelin MXM4's at Kal Tire in the spring. Every little bit helps.

Very impressed with Kal Tire. All the tires I own are now from Kal, and they have a great warranty. Free lifetime repairs, rotation and balancing. I picked up a nail a couple of weeks ago and dropped in to a different Kal Tire location near my office over the lunch hour. They took me straight in, plugged, patched and re-balanced the tire and had me on my way. No cost. I even had time to hit the McDonald's drive-thru on my way back to work.

Just got quotes in Kingston from Kal-Tire....
Nokian Hakka R2 - $1571 total all in
Michelin XiceX3 - $1677 total all inBoth have a $70 mail in rebate.

Costco is $1499 all in for the XIce3s, I think they give instant rebate and it's included in price. I would prefer Kal Tire for install/free rotations if they will match the price, but I doubt they will. Guy I talked to at Kal Tire highly recommended the R2s.

I also work for Goodyear and can get the Dunlop Winter Maxx for $986 all in.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just got quotes in Kingston from Kal-Tire....
Nokian Hakka R2 - $1571 total all in
Michelin XiceX3 - $1677 total all inBoth have a $70 mail in rebate.

Costco is $1499 all in for the XIce3s, I think they give instant rebate and it's included in price. I would prefer Kal Tire for install/free rotations if they will match the price, but I doubt they will. Guy I talked to at Kal Tire highly recommended the R2s.

I also work for Goodyear and can get the Dunlop Winter Maxx for $986 all in.

Thoughts?
For a rear wheel drive vehicle, I would go with the best (R2). You may pay a bit more but it should be worth it. It "could" be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident.

I see right now Costco has Michelin tires for sale, $70 for 4 tires. 4 Michelin-X-Ice Xi3 are $1379.96, that includes the $15 per tire installation fee.

Costco also provides for life the life of the tire rotation, balancing, inflation checks, flat repairs, nitrogen and new stems.

One of my cousins in the States got a flat with a tire she got from Costco. They replaced the tire for $9.50, for the environmental fee.

I used Toronto as my location, I don't know if prices changes on location.

I'm just a member, no affiliation with Costco. I'm also irritated that I went in yesterday to pick up my prescriptions and walked out with a DVD player I didn't intend to buy when I went in.

I do like that they put on my winter tires for less than half of what the company I used to go to charged (I bought the tires before I joined up with Costco).

Last edited:

Regardless of which type you have, as long as low profile weights are used and placed slightly inboard of the inner lip edge they should pose no problem.

If you or anyone else here has questions/issues/comments about our wheels or anything in general on the subject I am happy to help :biggrin:

Thanks for the update Mad Hungarian.

That's exactly what my tire shop also told me for the low profile weights since I was raising the issue Scott had mentioned...it's all about position!
I'm ready to order some of your wheels, same as Scott but 'winter' version, BR02, Gun Metal Matte, 19 x8.5, 5x120, 35mm offset AND 64.1 mm bore...
which is really cool to have NO fitting rings involved!!!

I'm looking at 1010tires.com site to order, but their site doesn't seem to carry that specific version/size, which does appear on your site.
Do you think I should call them or I need to use a more local dealers? (Montreal)

Thanks!