Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3DF27FA9-634C-4411-A9C0-33FC5580BC60.jpeg 3A95AD28-98A0-48E8-9E78-BA0F5E3FC6F3.jpeg
Gotta find out if they’ll take em back first. If they do, I’m going to 20s, I can’t garauntee any 19s from them will fit.
Went up to 20” replika 187 with Pirelli Scorpions. They look nice.

View attachment 270954 View attachment 270955
Went up to 20” replika 187 with Pirelli Scorpions. They look nice.

Looks nice...glad you got the sizing figured out.

I had a problem with a grinding noise on left hand turns with my stock Slipstreams and studded tires. When I popped off the wheel I noticed the knuckle and rim where rubbing. Kaltire made a mistake of putting the 275/45/20 on the 20x9” rim and 265/45/20 on the 20x9.5” rim. Luckily there wasn’t too much damage and I brought back both wheels to them in my truck and they swapped the tires and offered to refinish the rim.

I haven’t had any problems in the past with the past 5 sets of tires from them, but I’ll give them a friendly reminder next time if my rims are staggered. They treated me fine in the past with a free mount and tpms sensor install.

Moral of the story, make sure the installer knows the rims are staggered.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
In the two tire swap seasons, it's all hands on deck at the tire shops... you definitely have to stay on top of them, because some of the guys they pull in don't have much experience...

I had the tires installed back in October before the winter rush and installed the rims/tires myself last week during the freezing rainstorm. I should have not been complacent and double checked the wheels and tires where done properly before mounting them on the car myself.

A number of people [poop] on the Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires from Tesla, but I drove through the worst of the storm on the 24th and last week on snow, slush, and wet highway roads and they performed flawlessly. I swear they are quieter on dry roads than tires that came with the car. I even pushed it on a corner without slipping.

I previously had Gislaved Nord Frost 5 winters on my Jetta then Golf, which were really good but these feel better. Especially going through the piles between lanes on the highway (heavier car helps too i suppose)

YMMV (literally and figuratively), but I’m happy with them.

A number of people [poop] on the Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires from Tesla, but I drove through the worst of the storm on the 24th and last week on snow, slush, and wet highway roads and they performed flawlessly. I swear they are quieter on dry roads than tires that came with the car. I even pushed it on a corner without slipping.

I previously had Gislaved Nord Frost 5 winters on my Jetta then Golf, which were really good but these feel better. Especially going through the piles between lanes on the highway (heavier car helps too i suppose)

YMMV (literally and figuratively), but I’m happy with them.
I haven’t heard anyone poop on the Sottozero 3’s. The thread on them looks like it should work well on snow.

Having said that, I have babied a set of Sottozero 2’s through a winter and stand by my claim that they are unacceptable (crap) for use on snow.

Took wifey’s RX350 out for a spin yesterday. Haven’t driven it in months. I was reminded how much a hate Blizzaks. Sorry... I know some of you swear by them but the amount of road noise is just ridiculous. I cannot give a bigger thumbs down to them. I had them on my old Lexus and now I have the X-Ice 3’s on my S and I couldn’t be happier.

This is my 2nd winter season with Hakka R2's and while they were perfect during season 1 (2016-2017) even during a road trip to Quebec City during late Dec, they seem to be noticeably worse this 2nd season (2017-2018). This is just my subjective observation, since we definitely have had more snow (GTA) this past winter than the mild 2016-2017 winter. Nothing that I can complain about, but slides a bit more than I remember coming to a stop at unplowed roads at stop signs when it's slushy. It will be interesting to see what happens during winter #3.

For the next set of winters I will probably go back to X-Ice as those were my preferred tire before getting the Hakkas on my ICE cars. Should save a few bucks and be easier to source.

Correct. But we're going to make a Model 3 version of the Model S Turbine in 18" with the 5x114.3 pattern, will be available this fall.

I was speaking with you on Twitter yesterday about this. Right now the only Turbine options are from the USA but I'd prefer to give my business to a Canadian company so I'll hold off until see your product.

Reactions: Mad Hungarian
For Canadians looking for simple winter steelies that fit model 3, I found a good match here.
  • Wheel is 7.5 wide, which is minimum acceptable for 235/45/R18 tires. The narrower wheel gives plenty of cushion in case one mildly touch winter icy curbs (not the case with OEM 8.5” wide rims, that would get scratched touching the curb)
  • 5-114.3 Bolt Pattern, 64.1 Center Bore, +42 Offset –perfect fit for model 3

I bought a set of those recently and planning to mount them with XIce3 with Schrader programmable TPMS EZ-Sensors when winter comes!

For Canadians looking for simple winter steelies that fit model 3, I found a good match here.
  • Wheel is 7.5 wide, which is minimum acceptable for 235/45/R18 tires. The narrower wheel gives plenty of cushion in case one mildly touch winter icy curbs (not the case with OEM 8.5” wide rims, that would get scratched touching the curb)

I bought a set of those recently and planning to mount them with XIce3 with Schrader programmable TPMS EZ-Sensors when winter comes!

Is there nothing else that fits the Model 3? Seems like quite a shame to drive around on those rims for half the year with such an amazing looking car. I hate those steel rims.

I am not sure if there is even much of a cost savings because nowadays there seem to be alot of good (and reasonably priced) options.

Two things I'd want to check to be sure before proceeding with those:

1. Is the lug seat conical (straight taper) or ball (rounded)? Very often steel or alloy wheels with a 5x114.3 pattern and a 64.1 mm center bore are designed specifically for Honda and Acura applications, which all have ball seat lugs. If so, you'll need to switch to some 14x1.5 mm ball seat nuts (the same as used on Honda Pilot & Ridgeline or Acura RL & MDX models).
If it is however conical, you will be able to reuse the OE Tesla lugs.

upload_2018-4-2_14-41-2.png

2. Do they clear the Model 3 brake calipers? The front calipers on Model 3 are not particularly problematic, but being a 4 piston monobloc design they do protrude outwards somewhat more than standard floating calipers on most cars. Be sure to test fit them thoroughly in both the front and rear positions before mounting up the tires.

Two things I'd want to check to be sure before proceeding with those:

1. Is the lug seat conical (straight taper) or ball (rounded)? Very often steel or alloy wheels with a 5x114.3 pattern and a 64.1 mm center bore are designed specifically for Honda and Acura applications, which all have ball seat lugs. If so, you'll need to switch to some 14x1.5 mm ball seat nuts (the same as used on Honda Pilot & Ridgeline or Acura RL & MDX models).
If it is however conical, you will be able to reuse the OE Tesla lugs.

View attachment 291220

2. Do they clear the Model 3 brake calipers? The front calipers on Model 3 are not particularly problematic, but being a 4 piston monobloc design they do protrude outwards somewhat more than standard floating calipers on most cars. Be sure to test fit them thoroughly in both the front and rear positions before mounting up the tires.

That is very informative Mad Hungarian.
1. I went and look at the lug seats, which are very narrow, they appear conical (cheaper to machine I guess).

2. Whether they will clear the rear calipers remains to be seen. I will know in 3 to 7 weeks :). I have yet to hear someone reporting a 18" wheel not fitting on model 3 because of caliper clearance (heard a lot about the 17 inches though). So I cross my fingers...

Is there nothing else that fits the Model 3? Seems like quite a shame to drive around on those rims for half the year with such an amazing looking car. I hate those steel rims.

I am not sure if there is even much of a cost savings because nowadays there seem to be alot of good (and reasonably priced) options.
I certainly won't debate the aesthetics of steel wheels. But, beyond cost (I paid 75$ for each), they have the benefit of bending rather than breaking when one hits a massive pothole. Especially given that the model 3 has no spare wheel, it could be the difference between being stranded and carrying on to your destination. And massive potholes are quite popular at this time of the year up here :(

That is very informative Mad Hungarian.
1. I went and look at the lug seats, which are very narrow, they appear conical (cheaper to machine I guess).

2. Whether they will clear the rear calipers remains to be seen. I will know in 3 to 7 weeks :). I have yet to hear someone reporting a 18" wheel not fitting on model 3 because of caliper clearance (heard a lot about the 17 inches though). So I cross my fingers...
Good stuff, looks like your OE nuts will work.
As for caliper clearance, highly unlikely that the diameter will cause an issue as just about any 18" wheel will clear. It's what we refer to as X-factor, that is the horizontal protrusion of the caliper towards the spoke area of the wheel, that you have to watch for.
See #6 in the diagram below.
Again, the X-factor numbers on the 3 are pretty reasonable, but some steel wheels can lack a bit of clearance in that area so essential to test and make sure you have at least 2 - 3 mm of free space at the closest point.

upload_2018-4-2_16-43-45.png