Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims in Ottawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Ottawans,
I know we've just broken free of some crazy hot weather but I was looking at the TESLA site for winter Rims and tires and the OEMs have not been posted yet. Since I can't price out the OEMs from TESLA, I found this local package at GoldWing

I'm thinking about going 18" to get much more rubber for winter bumps ... any thoughts? I currently have the 20’’ Induction wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great find fellow Ottawan! Goldwing are really on the ball - I've used PMC Tire in the past but they don't even have the Y on their site yet.

It is depressing to be thinking about winter already but it's the smart thing to do.

I
Hello fellow Ottawans,
I know we've just broken free of some crazy hot weather but I was looking at the TESLA site for winter Rims and tires and the OEMs have not been posted yet. Since I can't price out the OEMs from TESLA, I found this local package at GoldWing

I'm thinking about going 18" to get much more rubber for winter bumps ... any thoughts? I currently have the 20’’ Induction wheels.
I went with 18" tires/rims for my winter tire package, since they are cheaper and more effective in snow. Bought the Tesla package when it was available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, i didn't pick up on the Model Y bit. I bought a Model 3 winter package going on a Model 3. The consideration would be the same for a Model Y, though.... more rubber, less metal on the winter rims is generally better in snow.
Agreed. I had 22" on my last vehicle and still sported 18" for winter. I had seen that the standard m3 rims didn't fit the Y so was waiting for MY pricing. Not sure if they will have 18" rims at TESLA so am considering the package I shared.

Reactions: cstork
Not from Ottawa but I went with 19x9 BC Forged wheels for winter with Sottozero 3s 255/45R19. I hope it snows all winter!

B369ABD4-4500-4C7D-835C-875A6533754C.jpeg

I got a quote from Goldwing too but I found a better deal at Slick Automotive: Replika R241 wheels (black, 19.5 x 9", +45 offset) and Michelin X-Ice SNOW tires (255/45-19). X-Ice SNOW is the new tire that replaces the X-Ice 3 and it's getting good reviews.

I've bought two sets of tires for my Model S from Andre at Slick and I was very happy with the service and the price.

I got a quote from Goldwing too but I found a better deal at Slick Automotive: Replika R241 wheels (black, 19.5 x 9", +45 offset) and Michelin X-Ice SNOW tires (255/45-19). X-Ice SNOW is the new tire that replaces the X-Ice 3 and it's getting good reviews.

I've bought two sets of tires for my Model S from Andre at Slick and I was very happy with the service and the price.
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Do you guys know if 19inch tires will clear the performance brakes?

Also, do you know if Costco carries any tires that would work with the MY? Typically they have much better prices...

It seems like there are no options yet from Tesla...

Agreed. I had 22" on my last vehicle and still sported 18" for winter. I had seen that the standard m3 rims didn't fit the Y so was waiting for MY pricing. Not sure if they will have 18" rims at TESLA so am considering the package I shared.
There is a thread here somewhere that concludes that the M3 Aeros will fit the non-P Model Y. Lot's of graphs about load ratings, etc. There is a video of a guy driving somewhat off road with them. I'm thinking I'll give it a try as I already have 18" M3 tires and would just have to buy rims and sensors.
Also, there are several posts mentioning that the Model Y has unique bluetooth sensors that are only available from Tesla. These will be required no matter what tire/wheel combination you get. They are $75 each in the US, so I'm guessing $100 CAD here. So $400. Ouch!

Yes and no. If you have the 21” performance tires that’s not as easy at Cosco or anywhere for least then a few K And no real option if you want something for snow.

Yes it's just about getting the right tires for those wheels. It would be the same issue if you got wheels that size for any vehicle.

Here's a Costco winter tire that fits - https://tires.costco.ca/Product?Ite...o=36433&lang=en-ca&width=255&aspect=35&rim=21. Not cheap but then that's always the case with bigger wheels.

@Peter_M what was the price for the package? I have Replika R187s from my M3 - I think they'll work on the Y and trying to decide if I just stick winters on them or sell and get a larger wheel like the R241.

Hi Peter,
Did that include sensors? There are several mentions here that the MY requires bluetooth sensors that are only available from Tesla.
It did include sensors at $75 each, but that was before I told him about the Bluetooth sensors. I have sensors on order from Tesla ($100 each + HST) but André at Slick is still trying to find suitable ones for less elsewhere. Without the sensors (but with him installing the Tesla ones) it should be around $2662, or $3114 all in including the Tesla sensors.

Update: I got the sensors from Tesla, but apparently Michelin X-Ice Snow tires are not available in the Model Y size (255/45R19) until January. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 are also not available yet and they don't know when they will be. I'm now going with Continental VikingContact7 104T, which are a bit cheaper but probably not as good as the other two. I don't want to wait until January...