TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Winter Tires and wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by M falcon, Aug 16, 2018.

1. M falcon

M falcon Member

So have had my RWD Model 3 since April and am loving it.
    As the end of summer approaches, I am thinking about my plans for fall/winter.
    I live in central PA and as such was fully aware when I bought my car of the fact that it would be necessary for me to purchase winter tires and wheels to swap out before the bad weather arrives. I plan on purchasing what Tesla offers on their website and have them sent to the pittsburgh SC.
    My question is, how soon should i purchase winter tires/wheels? I just want to do it early enough that i "beat the last minute rush". I want to have winter tires on by early November by the latest.

2. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

“Purchasing” aside I normally leave it until it’s snowed real bad overnight and I am late for work, then I swap mine over.

• Funny x 1
  3. M falcon

M falcon Member

But I plan on having the Tesla service center swap them so I have to make an appointment so obviously I have to plan ahead

4. Krash

Krash Data Technician

I would seriously consider a used second set of rims. Once you swap summers for winters a few time they pay for themselves.

5. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Im doing the same thing in Colorado. Rims and tires from Tesla-- also wondering what the lead time should be. Tesla specifically says they won't store the items at the SS. So far everything I've purchased from the Tesla store has been delivered quickly, but you never know when or if they will run out of stock. I don't trust Tesla when it comes to stock supply.

6. M falcon

M falcon Member

So getting them delivered home and taking them to SC?
    When do you think?

7. M falcon

M falcon Member

What if I order from tire rack and have them shipped to me. Will the SC install them for me? How much to install?

8. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

I was hoping to have them delivered to SS and having them install. I think I'll order in mid October ?

9. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Bump.

I'm having similar thoughts/concerns as the OP. Given how many new Model 3 owners (many of them with RWD) will be heading into their first winter later this year, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla gets overwhelmed with Model 3 winter tire/rim orders, and then there ends up being delivery delays. But now that I think about it a bit more, it's probably more of a 2-part question:

1. Will Tesla run out of rims? (Since they're the same as the factory rims which are produced in high volumes, probably not, right?)

2. Will Tesla run out of winter tires? (This is probably more on the tire manufacturers than on Tesla. And I'd expect the tire manufacturers to have their s*** together and properly anticipate higher demand leading into the winter months, right?)

Still, it'd probably be safer to just order them now/soon and install them myself at the right time so I don't have to worry about them going on too early (causing excess wear in warm temps) or too late (compromised traction/safety).

10. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Yep, I still have these questions. Given that my SS is an hour away I don't want to order now, drive to pick them up, and repeat when it comes time to install. If I buy my wheels from tire rack and tires from my local tire store, they will swap out my wheels each season for free, although I usually bring them a six pack :).