Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires - do 18" or 19" perform better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall watching a video comparing rim sizes and I think they found that the smaller rims did better in wet conditions and the bigger rims were better in dry conditions.
So that would probably point towards the 18s.

I'm in a similar situation (getting a model 3 with 19s at the end of the month) and I was just planning on getting a set of 18s with winter tires from tesla so I could have a summer and winter set of wheels I could change out myself, plus if I'm ever planning any long road trips I have the option of switching to the 18" areos.

Generally you want to go with a smaller wheel for winters. A smaller wheel size means you get more sidewall height on the tires, which allows for more impact resistance to things like potholes, which often hid in snowy conditions.

About to receive my TM3-P.

The Tesla shop offers Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 on 19" rims. Seems to be a good play as the tires are well reviewed and the rims look good. Not to mention that the service centre will be familiar with the package.

Can't really see a reason not to get them.

Had I not bought a set of OEM 19” wheels private party I would have gotten the TSportline 18 inch wheels designed for the performance version of the Model 3. As others have said, I think a smaller wheel is preferred for winter driving to give you a bit more side wall to absorb potholes; another bonus is tires are a little cheaper.

Since I have the 19” wheel, and once I can verify the OEM wheels fit over the rotor lip, I will either go with Nokian R3s or Pilot Alpin PA4. Seems like Nokian will be best in dicey, blizzard like situations, but I’m not sure how well they perform on cold, dry roads.