Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for 19's - thoughts?

Zelectric

Aug 15, 2018
LNK
For the 8-10 driving days that actually have snow and ice on the ground I can't justify the winter/snow tires. This will be my 2nd winter and the all season tires I have now are fine, just to worn to go another year. The car almost weighs 5000 if you can get traction with that then you must be auto-crossing in the snow. :)
Tom

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
I have the pirelli sottozero, it’s all good. Noise and energy consumption are not significantly changed compared to summer pilot sport 3

I love the Pirelli's and have permanently given up on the more extreme winter tires that make me yearn for warmer weather so I can get that crap off my car!

20181210_151758 (2).jpg

This particular the day the snow was coming down faster than the plows could keep up and it was wet with little shear strength. A layer of ice underneath made it even slipperier. But the Pirelli's pulled through making the car feel connected and in control. With no other cars on the road I was able to drive the speed limit with no butt-clenching moments even though the road had no guardrails (there is a large boulder field 100's of feet below the passenger side of the car). There is not even a curb to prevent a car from sliding off the road. The Pirellis have really good winter traction but you would never know you had winter tires on when cruising 70 mph on a curvy highway with bare pavement.
20181210_151723 (2).jpg

Reactions: HankLloydRight

MonkeyMind

May 18, 2019
Calgary
I bought the Continental Viking 7 Contacts referenced in an earlier reply. Haven't had much snow yet, but I'm liking the setup - the Vikings are quieter than the Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires that came on 21" rims with the car. Link to my setup and photos: Winter tire recommendations

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC