Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for 19's - thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the 8-10 driving days that actually have snow and ice on the ground I can't justify the winter/snow tires. This will be my 2nd winter and the all season tires I have now are fine, just to worn to go another year. The car almost weighs 5000 if you can get traction with that then you must be auto-crossing in the snow. :)
Tom

I have the pirelli sottozero, it’s all good. Noise and energy consumption are not significantly changed compared to summer pilot sport 3

I love the Pirelli's and have permanently given up on the more extreme winter tires that make me yearn for warmer weather so I can get that crap off my car!

20181210_151758 (2).jpg

This particular the day the snow was coming down faster than the plows could keep up and it was wet with little shear strength. A layer of ice underneath made it even slipperier. But the Pirelli's pulled through making the car feel connected and in control. With no other cars on the road I was able to drive the speed limit with no butt-clenching moments even though the road had no guardrails (there is a large boulder field 100's of feet below the passenger side of the car). There is not even a curb to prevent a car from sliding off the road. The Pirellis have really good winter traction but you would never know you had winter tires on when cruising 70 mph on a curvy highway with bare pavement.
20181210_151723 (2).jpg

Reactions: HankLloydRight