Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I jordered the 19s fromTesla 2 weeks ago and expect them within the next week or two. I chose the 19s for the mileage advantage. I want to take all advantages I can especially in the winter when the mileage drops due to cold weather and required interior heating. I went with Tesla for the positive reasons you cited above.

How many winter seasons do winter tires usually last if a person drives around 25,000km a year? 3 years? 5 years? Hard to say?

If you only have them on for a third of the year... i.e. about 8000km (5k miles) per year...
Then I'm guessing at least than 3 winters.
I've read that all tires should be replaced within 5 years.
So that would give the 4-5 year range you suggest.

Make sure to take a picture of the vehicle with the 19 inch turbine wheels and 265/50R19 winter tires. Better yet, post before and after photos going from the 20 inch to the 19 inch wheels .

I am thinking about buying 19 inch wheels to put all season radials on for regular use. In Charlotte , I have no need for winter tires, but I wonder if there might be ride quality and range advantages to a smaller wheel. Definitely less risk of curb rash.

Make sure to take a picture of the vehicle with the 19 inch turbine wheels and 265/50R19 winter tires. Better yet, post before and after photos going from the 20 inch to the 19 inch wheels .

I am also thinking about buying 19 inch wheels to put all season radials on for regular use. In Charlotte , I have no need for winter tires, but I wonder if there might be ride quality and range advantages to a smaller wheel. Definitely less risk of curb rash.
I am thinking of the same thing. I will be installing Tesla's 19 inch winter package in a few weeks. If I like it I intend to buy 19 inch wheels to replace my 20 inch for either summer or all season tires. I hate the curb rash and not rotation issues of the standard 20 inch set up.

I have a performance model that I got in January and it came wth Conti All-seasons. My understanding is that the performance models are now being shipped with summer performnace tires. But that may change as the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement only specifies size and color for the wheel package, not brand or type.