Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help explain the differences between the winter tires being sold for the Model X onTesla's online shop? Since they are all Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, is the price difference based on the look of the wheel and not function?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 19" vs 20"?

19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Can anyone help explain the differences between the winter tires being sold for the Model X onTesla's online shop? Since they are all Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, is the price difference based on the look of the wheel and not function?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 19" vs 20"?

As far as I can tell the 20" are for better looks.
There are some articles on the internet about downsizing wheels for winter to perform better in the snow.

I'm trying to figure out what the options are for someone in California (bay area) looking for a Winter wheel/tire solution.
(for frequent Tahoe trips in Winter)

As far as I can tell, these are the obvious options... (and I'd love if anyone could help out to improve this)

1) The Tesla options
Advantage: It is all Tesla so should work
Advantage: Tesla won't blame the tires for any car warranty issue... i.e. no question of finger pointing.
advantage: Tesla wheel badging (I don't care myself)
Disadvantage: Expensive option $2800 minimum
Disadvantage: you may need to book months before winter (i.e. it is already too late for the start of ski season, depending on how busy your service center is)

2) Tire rack
Advantage: Cheaper... package from $2120 including tpms for package with same tires as the Tesla 19" option. $2173 for 20"
Advantage: Should work (it is a package) and has same tires as Tesla option
Advantage: Should be able to get it fairly quickly
Disadvantage: Not directly Tesla

3a) "I really want the best = Nokian" option, and the dealer for that locally is Discount tire
Advantage: Get the highly recommended tire.
Disadvantage: Discount Tire (At least locally) suggests they don't have the right wheel for the Tesla X... so it would take a lot of effort to put a package together. Do you buy wheels from Tire rack and tires from Discount Tire? Can Discount tire even get the right tires in stock?

3b) What about that Nokian genuine all-season tire?
Disadvantage: I have no idea if that even works for the X, and what the pros and cons are.
Advantage: no need to buy extra wheels, or store extra wheels.

At this stage I'm leaning towards (2) for something easy that isn't too expensive and will be done by ski season opening. Anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone been to Discount Tire to see what they offer?

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve