Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for staggered 21" wheel setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to use winter tires on my P90DL, but it came with staggered 21" wheels so takes 245/35R21 on the front and 265/35R21 on the rear.

Tesla offer 19" and 21" winter wheel sets, or I can organise my own with non-OEM wheels/tires in the same sizes, but either way these are non-staggered, so I am going to end up with rear wheels of a different diameter to the summer ones, which means every swap also requires a suspension adjustment, reprogramming of the traction control, realignment, etc at a service center (all of which I believe is chargeable).

I'd much prefer just to have winter tires in the same sizes as my summer ones, so that I can either just buy a second set of staggered turbines and switch between wheels, or switch different tires on to the same wheels.

Late in 2014 there was a rumour that Pirelli were making a Sottozero 3 in 265/35R21, but this year I've not managed to find anyone who is stocking it (I'm in the UK, but I've not found anyone with them in Europe or the US either).

Does anyone know if this tire actually exists, and if so where you can get it from? Or does anyone else use a different brand to achieve the same result?

Even if the tires are quite expensive, switching these on to my current turbines seems much cheaper and easier than any alternative option, and of course I get to keep the good looks of the 21" wheels.

Winter tires for staggered 21" wheel setup

The only difference between the front and rear staggered wheels is the width, not the diameter. Changing to a non staggered 21" setup requires no mods or adjustments.

My P85+ came with the staggered wheels. I got a pair of 21x8.5" rims for the rear and put on 245s all around. There's no perceptible difference in handling.

The difference between 265s and 245s is only about 3/4" in width.

Exactly the same setup here. P85d, staggered 21" for summer. Non-staggered sottozeros for winter. SC changes wheels, no adjustments necessary. I don't drive quite as fast in the winter though definitely not a slouch on motorways ;-)

Staggered P85D here as well but I went for 19" + Michelin xIce for the winter. Would have rather kept the look of 21s but winter is a beast here so opted for 19s. Dipped them in anthracite gray at least to mirror the look of my gray 21s.