Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for the 20” Induction Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately no one at Tesla seems to know if it is possible to put winter tires On the 20” Induction wheels. I have a PUP on order and would need winter tires, which can’t be put on the 21’s. Anyone know for sure whether it’s possible to put winter tires on the 20” Inductions?

Greatly appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: slmitchell737
Thank you for this thread. I live in Folsom, CA and just took delivery of the Y 5 days ago. I get to Lake Tahoe dozens of times every winter. The ride is tougher than what I’m used to with the 20”’s (expected though) - I am worried if the low profiles will handle the snow, and if there is room for a slightly thicker winter tire without going immediately to a lift?

love the look of the 20’s though. No regrets. I do have some bad memories of getting stuck on Tahoe inclines with my old X5’s low profile, — never want to repeat that- but dont want to store and swap into winter wheels and tires every year like I used to.

As the Y has sold more, anyone have some real world input?

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-pilot-alpin-pa4 255/40-20 101V. When you're looking, remember you need a load index of at least 101. Discount tire is not showing the Pilot Alpin PA4 because they're out of them for the Summer. Remember to consider your conditions when you choose your winter tire. Many winter tires are great in the snow but are horrible in wet conditions. Not a big deal if you live somewhere dry and cold, but if most of your winter conditions are wet you need a tire highly rated for wet conditions like the Michelin above or the Vredestein Wintrac Pro.

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro is very highly rated for summer and winter use. Not a "snow tire" per se, but still bears the mountain & snowflake symbol. Best practice is separate winter tires, but the Quatrac Pros should be the next best choice if you don't want separate winter tires. As a bonus it's reviewed to have great summer performance and be very quiet too.

Attachments

• 9AFB1997-A4DF-41A8-8408-1DF1281B6658.png
    9AFB1997-A4DF-41A8-8408-1DF1281B6658.png
    624.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 22A6E9AD-8C1B-43FD-A2B3-C5BE0136372E.png
    22A6E9AD-8C1B-43FD-A2B3-C5BE0136372E.png
    495 KB · Views: 235
If I’m reading the last couple of comments right, are the tires that come with the induction wheels all-weather? Ready to order MY but stuck on tires. Right now we are in NYC so I want to be sure that I can get around in snow when needed.

I have a Y on the way with 20" Induction wheels as well.

I'll be getting winter tires as I drive a lot in the mountains of British Columbia all winter. I've used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 & R3 on my Model S 19" wheels for years and have loved them.

They are available in 255/40R20 as well as 255/45R20 sizes. The 45 is quite a bit cheaper than the 40 ( $333 vs $486 CAD each) and I feel would perform a bit better anyway in winter conditions.

Anyone know if the 45 profile size will fit fine on the Y with 20" wheels?

If I’m reading the last couple of comments right, are the tires that come with the induction wheels all-weather? Ready to order MY but stuck on tires. Right now we are in NYC so I want to be sure that I can get around in snow when needed.
Yes, they are all weather. My Model Y, picked up in the NYC area, came with M+S designated tires. They are "All-Season" tires, not winter tires.

But it doesn't really snow in the tri-state area anymore, so you should be good.

Here's a decent pic of the 20" induction wheels with the Goodyear Eagle F1 255/40R20 M+S tires on them. You can see the M+S designation at the bottom of the tire.

Attachments

• 20200901_175627.jpg
    20200901_175627.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 223