Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires for the Model S Plaid ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CBGPE

Supporting Member
Jan 15, 2020
SPRING VALLEY
I am looking for a set of wheels and tires for winter use for my model S Plaid. I am loathe to go with narrower width tires. I am planning on going with all season tires as the winters here are not that bad and all season tires have been more than adequate with my all wheel drive vehicles.

I am going to be trading in my one year old model Y performance that has an additional Pirelli Sotto zero 3 255/40R20 Tesla winter tire package with the Induction 20 X95JET 45 rims. Can I use this winter tire package on my new model S Plaid that I am supposed to take delivery on at the end of November? Tesla customer service says no, but they weren’t convincing.

I am going to be trading in my one year old model Y performance that has an additional Pirelli Sotto zero 3 255/40R20 Tesla winter tire package with the Induction 20 X95JET 45 rims. Can I use this winter tire package on my new model S Plaid that I am supposed to take delivery on at the end of November? Tesla customer service says no, but they weren’t convincing.
Model Y & Model S has different Bolt pattern. Y = 5x114.3 while S = 5x120. The wheels are not interchangeable.

However, the tire 255/40/20 can be use on the plaid all around if you get a new square wheel setup. It won't perform as good as staggered but should able to get you through the winter without any issue.

Just picked up some winter tires for me Plaid which should arrive next week. The tire shop who has done a lot of Tesla work here in GTA advised that the 2019 MS tiers fit the new plaid without any issues. They are 245/45/19 on 19x8.5 rims. After picking them up, I noticed they are even smaller then my MY winters, so did a bit a of research and it seems there is no good answer if they truly fit. Some say it fits but they may look odd since the have smaller offset than wide body. Some say it’s fine and some even say they don’t fit.
Has anyone here tried this? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Just picked up some winter tires for me Plaid which should arrive next week. The tire shop who has done a lot of Tesla work here in GTA advised that the 2019 MS tiers fit the new plaid without any issues. They are 245/45/19 on 19x8.5 rims. After picking them up, I noticed they are even smaller then my MY winters, so did a bit a of research and it seems there is no good answer if they truly fit. Some say it fits but they may look odd since the have smaller offset than wide body. Some say it’s fine and some even say they don’t fit.
Has anyone here tried this? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Hi,

I'm in the same boat looking urgently for new wheels and winter tires for my Plaid Model S. Can anyone please clarify if the 19x8.5 inch rims with 35 offset and 245/45/19 winter tires will fit? Or any other options that have worked for folks? I called Tesla and there are no winter tire and wheel sets for the new model S. The best they could do was sell me the stock 19" staggered wheels and the all season tires.

Would really appreciate any responses as winter is coming fast and the car will be undrivable soon. Thanks!

Hi,

I'm in the same boat looking urgently for new wheels and winter tires for my Plaid Model S. Can anyone please clarify if the 19x8.5 inch rims with 35 offset and 245/45/19 winter tires will fit? Or any other options that have worked for folks? I called Tesla and there are no winter tire and wheel sets for the new model S. The best they could do was sell me the stock 19" staggered wheels and the all season tires.

Would really appreciate any responses as winter is coming fast and the car will be undrivable soon. Thanks!
The previous 19x8.5 does not work on plaid. From what I found is that it interferes with front brake shields. The only option is to remove the shield. Which I decided not to do.
I went with 19x9.5 with 255/45/19 tires I believe the offset is 35 as well. Will pickup in a few weeks and will post note on how they work.
I am confidant it will work since it’s similar setup to some well know advertised more models.
The Tesla approved winters are below

19" package
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 19x9.5 255/45R19
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 19x10.5 285/40R19

21" package
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 21X9.5 265/35R21
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 21X10.5 295/30R21

Thanks, will give them a call tomorrow and fingers crossed they have some available. Not sure how to take delivery of a call in the middle of winter with summer tires installed. 🙄
That’s my problem as well. Even with no snow,
I heard that these tires don’t do so good on cold and they may get damaged. So I be crawling home and will swap in my garage. 🤪 unless Tesla SC is willing to do it before delivery

Reactions: leonwu
That’s my problem as well. Even with no snow,
I heard that these tires don’t do so good on cold and they may get damaged. So I be crawling home and will swap in my garage. 🤪 unless Tesla SC is willing to do it before delivery
The previous 19x8.5 does not work on plaid. From what I found is that it interferes with front brake shields. The only option is to remove the shield. Which I decided not to do.
I went with 19x9.5 with 255/45/19 tires I believe the offset is 35 as well. Will pickup in a few weeks and will post note on how they work.
I am confidant it will work since it’s similar setup to some well know advertised more models.
The Tesla approved winters are below

19" package
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 19x9.5 255/45R19
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 19x10.5 285/40R19

21" package
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 21X9.5 265/35R21
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 21X10.5 295/30R21
PZero Winter is great so far. I went with 285/40 19 all around.

I have a new winter option for the refreshed model S with 21 inch Arachnid wheels. I have Michelin pilot sport all season 265/35 R21 on front and 295 /35 R 21. Rears Clearance is no problem and ride is slightly improved due to the extra sidewall in the rear. Tires are quiet and a dramatic improvement for those of us in the upper Midwest. Allows you to keep one set of tires on year round so you’re not having to switch out to snow tires then back to summer performance each year.