Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for x-ice on P85 here. They are also quiet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 210
Have Ice3, 10/10 WBA. In my research, people were equally happy with both choices, as well as the Blizzaks. You cannot go wrong with any of those 3. DO NOT get the Pirellis that Tesla recommends (they are only for very light dustings of snow). Full disclosure, at least the Ice3's had a lot more roll to them than the all-seasons so just be aware of that.

Restarting this REALLY old thread - I happen to love Nokian's - ran WRGs as my all season on one of my old cars
Here is the thing - they are REALLY hard to get around the NYC area.
I'm going to want to get new rims (a set of Tesla Aero Rims would be noce - I like them). This issue seems to be I'm going to have to order in a set of rims, order in tires, sensors etc and have the mount and balance done, UNLESS someone knows of a place (something like a Tirerack) that does Rims and Nokian tires. Anyone?

[QUOTE="supratachophobia, post: 1269021, member: 28691"Full disclosure, at least the Ice3's had a lot more roll to them than the all-seasons so just be aware of that.[/QUOTE]
This is a characteristic of the best winter tires. The reason is that the belts must be super flexible so that they can grip on the irregular surfaces encountered during winter. (Regardless of how good the tread compound is, it's useless if it can't contact the ground).

I live in Buffalo most of the Winter so get some 'street cred' I had Mich X-Ice installed last winter - and put them to the test in some terrible snow/slush/ice conditions -- even on major highways. Traction has been really good in all conditions. Handling always felt secure.

I had considered Nokians - but found harder to source - even in Buffalo.

Added plus is that road noise is minimal. I dont notice a lot of difference from Goodyear touring all-seasons that came with Model S.