Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about center caps and lug nuts if you're changing from silver to grey wheels? How easy are these to get?

Just contact your nearest Tesla service center. I'm sure they'll be able to wrangle you up a set. As to the cost of said items, I can't imagine them being more than $100. Personally, I'm going to use the lugs and caps from my grey wheels on my silver ones for this year. Hope it will give them a nice, contrast look.

- - - Updated - - -

No idea what i'm looking for on Tire Rack for TPMS. Can you share a link for the correct one?

Finding TPMS sensors for Model S on Tirerack's site is a bit convoluted. You first need to choose the Model S as your vehicle and then select a set of compatible wheels (any set will do). On the product page for those wheels there will be a "TPMS" tab (it's alongside "included hardware", "photos", etc). The ones you are looking for are Modified 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors. Sorry, I couldn't find a direct link to them and they aren't listed in the generic TPMS section of Tirerack.

I think the center caps were $25/per. I actually had my wheels before I had my car-- so the SC just included them with the final delivery.

Note that on the TireRack site they'll give you TPMS colored to match the wheel you selected to generate the cart. So make sure you get the color you want. I am not covering my lugnuts-- just keeping them silver like in the pics I posted-- so I saved myself the extra $11 or so and just got the silver TPMS.

I've had Nokian's since 1990 on various cars. 1st winter with the R2's good as usual in the snow, but 1/2 of summer traction on bare pavement? Had regen set to normal so all the ware was to the back tires. I did drive hard on them too. The fronts are still above 90% rears are down to the all season line. I'm going to run regen on low this winter to keep my brakes cleaner and take load off the rear tires. I'm toying with the Michelins, wondering if they will give a little better traction on bare roads and a little worse in the snow. Normally the Nokian's I've used in the past don't ware much at all. I think a combo of 4700lbs and awesome power with strong regen did the back ones in?

I just took a look at my R2's (in storage at home) and the wear is perfectly even all around. I had them on from late November to the beginning of April this past winter and probably drove 10,000 miles / 16,000 km over that period (I drive about 30,000 miles annually). I probably do not drive that aggressively, but did leave Regen on High (I think it's called Normal) all winter. The vast majority of those miles were freeway (and I found the dry traction and performance to be just fine).

I think the center caps were $25/per. I actually had my wheels before I had my car-- so the SC just included them with the final delivery.

Note that on the TireRack site they'll give you TPMS colored to match the wheel you selected to generate the cart. So make sure you get the color you want. I am not covering my lugnuts-- just keeping them silver like in the pics I posted-- so I saved myself the extra $11 or so and just got the silver TPMS.

Thanks everyone. I think i'm just going to stick with the silver. The grey definitely look nice (thanks for the pics) but I like the silver too.

Now I just have to find the tires in stock somewhere.

I already paid $350USD for shipping and $100CAD import duty.

We live right by the border and go down to the States a lot (Nexus card holders). My wife just mentioned to me the other day when she came back the border guard said -- "those look like nice new tires you got" -- which surprised her since they are the original ones that came with her BMW (but I recently used "tire shine" on them). She said they were not new and he waived her through. She also mentioned that the Costco tire centre is full of Canadians who get new tires, leave the old ones down there, and just drive back without declaring them -- which is likely why he asked and they are looking at tires. I can see why now with how much cheaper tires are in the States, and the shipping and duty costs!

I can see why now with how much cheaper tires are in the States, and the shipping and duty costs!

In my experience, the cost of the tire itself is usually pretty comparable. But when you start adding currency conversion, duty, and tax onto that....yikes.

I looked into ordering a new set of Michelin tires from Tirerack for when mine wear out and I could have bought a 5th tire with the fees that were added on (shipping, duty, etc)! And they're not cheap tires, either!

Thanks everyone. I think i'm just going to stick with the silver. The grey definitely look nice (thanks for the pics) but I like the silver too.

Now I just have to find the tires in stock somewhere.

After consulting the wife I went with the grey TSTs.

After reading everything I was going to get the Michelins but they turned out to be a real bear to get. The Nokians were much easier to get locally and seem like they'll be a great tire too.

Ordered the TPMS's from Tire Rack, just need to get center caps from Tesla.

So, I installed my winter wheels today (Silver TST + Hakka R2's).

First impressions are pretty favorable compared to the PS2's on my summer set. No noticeable increase in road noise but I have noticed a decent boost in range (about 20-25 Wh/mile). If that continues, it should help me quite a bit on my upcoming trip.

Something else worth mentioning is that my summer rear tires were completely done (down to the wear bars) after only 5000 miles! Now, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of aggressive starts I've done, so why are they worn out so fast? They seemed to be worn evenly (no inside shoulder issues).

Is there any truth to the air suspension LOW setting increasing tire wear? (because about 4500 of the 5000 miles were done at highway speed on LOW)

Could I be in need of a wheel alignment?

Is there any truth to the air suspension LOW setting increasing tire wear? (because about 4500 of the 5000 miles were done at highway speed on LOW)

Could I be in need of a wheel alignment?

Yes, you need a wheel alignment. Low suspension does increase camber, but that isn't all that important if the toe is set correctly. If the toe isn't correct, then the camber will dramatically increase the wear on the tires.

tliving, where did you get the Nokians from?

Local dealer here in MA (a few miles from my house). I went to the Nokian site and looked up dealers and found one I recognized locally. The Michelins are hard to get. Tire Rack has them for delivery mid-november but I didn't trust it. My local guy said he can get the Nokians in a couple days and we're timing the delivery of the TSTs with him ordering the Nokians.

Also Tesla for Center caps is $16/per, so $64 for the bunch. Give them your credit card info and they'll ship to you. Just call your SC.

When I ordered my Michelin X-ice Xi3s about a month ago, tirerack said they wouldn't be delivered until end of November. Since DC winters don't really start till then I figured that would be fine, but they sent them to me 2 weeks ago. My mechanic was nice enough to hold onto them until I need to put them on.