Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting Xi3s mounted, the first was out of round...Called Tire Rack & they'll send a replacement.

Just an update, even with the out of round tire mounted I'm very impressed with the smoothness of the ride for winter tires. I expected it to be much rougher. My replacement tire is on the way, but I tell you, if they'd have just mounted the one that is out of round and never told me I probably would never have known. I think the ride is quieter and smoother than the OEMs I was on...which makes me wonder if one of those tires was bad--the ride never felt quite right from the day they were mounted even though there were no noticeable handling issues and my energy efficiency was quite good.

I just got the Rial Luganos with X-Ice Xi3 installed (bought on tirerack) by my local mechanic. They are very smooth and quiet, more so than the OEM goodyears. However the TPMS light is on and my mechanic says he doesn't have the software to reprogram it. I guess I have to take it to tesla. Anyone else have this problem?

I just got the Rial Luganos with X-Ice Xi3 installed (bought on tirerack) by my local mechanic. They are very smooth and quiet, more so than the OEM goodyears. However the TPMS light is on and my mechanic says he doesn't have the software to reprogram it. I guess I have to take it to tesla. Anyone else have this problem?
Anything is better than the Goodyears. As for the TPMS, there is an option in the settings to reset them. Look for it in the screen (I forgot where but it should not be hard to locate).

Well, I took my P85 over Loveland Pass (12,000 ft) to go skiing in Colorado today during blizzard/white out conditions and the Xi3s performed extremely well. I had MUCH more control than what I used to get with my AWD BMW 335xi with Conti all-seasons. I'm extremely happy with my purchase, even though I think the Hakkas would have provided a bit more traction.

Just ordered a set for my Model S.

Tesla Winter.png

Maybe next winter I'll get R2's or Xi3's. I'm still using the Pirelli sottozeros that came with Tesla's 19" snow package in early 2013 before the price hike.

That makes the most sense. Paid for them so might as well use them up.

The R2 seems fine in dry pavement so far. Haven't been in rain or snow so will see. Definitely not a performance tire when you corner.

fwiw, the Tesla TPMS sensors are now $50/each at the service centers. You're paying $188 more via TireRack, but then you get the wheel/tire/tpms all mounted for you.

Edit: iKhalid beat me to it. You might see if Tirerack will match Tesla.

Good to know about TPMS pricing. Discount Tire has them for $100 each installed. $50 not installed is a really good price at a Service Center.

Did the Nokian behaviour disappear after sometime? Mine are still new and they cause the traction control light to appear every time I accelerate.

It did! I now have about 3.000 km on them (1.800 mi), and today I tried again. The results were perfect: no traction loss at any point when accelerating fully from 40 km/h (about 25 mi/h).

So my conclusion is: just be patient! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Mine have now almost 2.000 km and it is still the same. On dry roads the grip is OK (although nowhere close to the grip of the Good Year Eagles) if you accelerate fully in a straight line, but on wet roads it is quite poor. Did you see the videos I uploaded? Amazing that traction control engages at 130 km/h!!

The guys at the tire shop told me that both the Hakka R2 and Michelin X ice Xi3 behave the same way.

Strange that the guys at the tire shop could not predict that the grip would get better after some km... (about 3.000) - I will stop by and talk to them

Please apologize if this has been addressed... Can I just get winter tires on my existing wheels (19 inch) instead of getting another set of wheels? If yes, can the TMPS's be transferred from the summer to the winter tires and back to the summer tires in the spring? If not, can I drive the car without it until I can go to the nearest service center?

Please apologize if this has been addressed... Can I just get winter tires on my existing wheels (19 inch) instead of getting another set of wheels? If yes, can the TMPS's be transferred from the summer to the winter tires and back to the summer tires in the spring? If not, can I drive the car without it until I can go to the nearest service center?
Yes, you can use the same wheels and TPMS. That's what I did.

There is a "TPMS learn" function on the touch screen in "Settings" so your car can learn the new sensors without having to go to the Service Center.

Yes, you can do that. It's not ideal because every time you mount and demount a tire you risk damaging it, but there's no other technical reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I got my winters mounted on the same wheels and the shop made sure to put the same wheels back in the same positions. I didn't have to reset the TPMS, should I have?

It doesn't hurt anything to reset it. However, even if they put the wheels back in the same position, they should still be rebalanced.