Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello...I'm looking to get a set of winter tires for my Model 3 AWD. I'm looking between the nokian hakkapeliitta r3 vs pirelli sottozero 3.
I got the Michelin X-ICE3 for my wife's BMW X1 and they seem fine.

My criteria is mainly wet performance as I'll probably avoid driving my car during heavy snow conditions. Colorado tends to get a bunch of snow and then gets sunny quite quickly so the roads I'm used are pretty wet to dry most of the time. That is why I'm not looking to get some thing extreme like Bridgestone Blizzaks.

The more research I do on these tires the more conflicting reviews I read so I thought I'd create an account here (about time) and ask y'all experts.

Thanks.

Also on a side note, I'd like to have tires that can last multiple seasons and minimal road noise but my main criteria is that it should do its job as a snow tire. I don't tend to drive in the Colorado Rockies during the winter that's why I'm not looking for the most extreme snow tires out there.

Nice! Thanks for all the input y'all. I think it's pretty clear for me. I'll try and get the Pirellis Sottozero 3 tires.

I'm assuming I can get any wheels with the correct form factor to go with the tires. I've seen some places recommend getting the Tesla wheels to squeeze out any extra range efficiency. Apart from that is there any reason to buy the Tesla wheels?

I bought a second set of OEM Aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla, and Michelin X-Ice tires from TireRack.

Second set of wheels so I don't have to have tires remounted twice a year - and I can do the switch myself.

Michelin X-Ice because they are excellent in snow and ice -
  • I had them on my Audi A4 for about 8 years and have never had a problem in bad weather.
  • This winter on my Model3 we had some snow and ice - didn't have a slip (while other vehicles slipping and sliding).

I have SR+ RWD. I do not have a work commute drive. I've had the car almost 6 months and it still does not have 3000 miles on it. I use it mostly around town and the occasional Midwest road trip from the Chicago area to WI, IA, and downstate IL.

Reading the threads here I've been thinking that I should get winter tires. Chicago winters can be mild to brutal. I'm not a DIY auto guy, so any tire work would be done by my local Tesla Service Center or Discount Tire.

Does it make sense to simply have winter tires and my OEM MXM4s swapped on my OEM aero rims by season? Is there a risk of damaging the aeros by having tires remounted twice a year? $2000 for a set of winter tires, rims, and TPMS might be expensive overkill for my auto usage. I'm interested in forum opinions, especially from Chicagoland members.

I have SR+ RWD. I do not have a work commute drive. I've had the car almost 6 months and it still does not have 3000 miles on it. I use it mostly around town and the occasional Midwest road trip from the Chicago area to WI, IA, and downstate IL.

Reading the threads here I've been thinking that I should get winter tires. Chicago winters can be mild to brutal. I'm not a DIY auto guy, so any tire work would be done by my local Tesla Service Center or Discount Tire.

Does it make sense to simply have winter tires and my OEM MXM4s swapped on my OEM aero rims by season? Is there a risk of damaging the aeros by having tires remounted twice a year? $2000 for a set of winter tires, rims, and TPMS might be expensive overkill for my auto usage. I'm interested in forum opinions, especially from Chicagoland members.

Compare costs of swap (two sets of rims option) vs. swap, remounting, and rebalancing (one set of rims option) for your local shops.

If the cost per year over the number of years you expect to drive the car is less for one option, take that option. You can also sell the extra set of rims later.

Many people go for the constant remount/rebalance routine with no damage to their wheels.

I personally like having two sets since I do the seasonal swap myself and it's more convenient for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: CoolSilver

Chicagoland owner here. Last winter was interesting, in that we didn't get snow until about January, then that whole polar vortex thing... The stock 18s with MXM4s on a RWD were not very confident in snow and ice. On July 4 I got summers and rims, and on Labor Day Blizzak WS90s for the Aero rims, both on holiday sales from Discount Tire (great place BTW). It's almost time to swap, and I'll report back with performance notes.

And for my use, I opted for new nice looking summer rims to match nice tires (PS4S) and used the OEM rims for the winters, since they'll be covered in road salt anyways.

Chicagoland owner here. Last winter was interesting, in that we didn't get snow until about January, then that whole polar vortex thing... The stock 18s with MXM4s on a RWD were not very confident in snow and ice. On July 4 I got summers and rims, and on Labor Day Blizzak WS90s for the Aero rims, both on holiday sales from Discount Tire (great place BTW). It's almost time to swap, and I'll report back with performance notes.

And for my use, I opted for new nice looking summer rims to match nice tires (PS4S) and used the OEM rims for the winters, since they'll be covered in road salt anyways.

I've decided to get a second set of OEM 18s with TPMS. I went in to the Westmont Service Center and Allison was very helpful getting the new 18s ordered and scheduling a service appointment to pick them up. Once I have them in hand I plan to purchase Michelin X-Ice from Discount Tire.

My MXM4s will probably last as long as I own the car based on my current usage.

Do you store your off season rim/tire set at Discount Tire? They mentioned that service to me when I was researching tires.

That's my service center as well! Great place, but the most backed up with service in the area.

I saw Discount Tire stores them too, for $70 if I recall. I have some corner space in a garage so I opted out. If you buy tires from them, they'll take care of the swaps, rotation, and balances for the life of the tire too. Not a bad service

Did you get them at a service center? I can't find an option in the online store for just bare OEM aeros with TPMS.

I was able to order them online last year - but you're right I don't see them in the store now. Glad others were able to get them thru SCs.

I just put my winter tires/wheels back on yesterday.

What I noticed after putting the Michelin X-Ice tires back on -
  • They have a different road noise sound than the stock all season tires, but the sound level is at least as quiet as the stock tires.
  • Energy usage didn't change from the stock tires run at the same outside temperature. I put an extra 1 lb of pressure in the Michelin X-Ice.

I installed hakkapeliitta 9 suv studded 235/50r18 on the stock wheels..... they juuuust fit ... to be honest it looks like a stud touched the front upper control arm once ( as it has a scrap ) and now I have about 1/12 of an inch clearance. So they seem to fit but if I could I would have gone with a 225/50r18 or just match the stock at 235/45r18.

Nice! Thanks for all the input y'all. I think it's pretty clear for me. I'll try and get the Pirellis Sottozero 3 tires.

I'm assuming I can get any wheels with the correct form factor to go with the tires. I've seen some places recommend getting the Tesla wheels to squeeze out any extra range efficiency. Apart from that is there any reason to buy the Tesla wheels?

One reason, this year anyway, is that the 18” Aero package comes with Sottozero 3’s ( according to Mt Kisco Tesla dealership ). The package used to come with series 2’s, which don’t get great reviews. The total cost is competitive with sourcing wheels / tires elsewhere. Finally the Aeros are reported to yield 4-8% efficiency gain...which you’ll appreciate in cold weather months.