Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires needed in Upstate NY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered a 100D. I always like to have a spare set of wheels for my cars that have winter tires on them. Ive never owned an AWD car though.

Do I need winter tires for the X?

Ive heard the car goes through tires fairly quickly. If thats true it might be nice to have a second set of wheels and tires to spread out their lives. But is it worth the money or needed? Id love to know.

Thanks!

Ive been searching the web furiously since my original post.

I just passed on a set of snow tires and wheels a guy was selling near you. He lives in Toronto. He was willing to meet me at Niagara Falls. They are $2000 CAD aka $1500 USD

I'm stretching a lot in order to afford this car. I still need to pay to get it clear wrapped before winter too. I am hoping I can get through this winter on the tires it arrives with. I am an excellent driver so i think I can make it work. Ill search for an affordable set for next winter.

I am still very curious to hear everyone's opinions! As it is now though I am thinking I should save my money, get through this winter with nearly brand new all seasons, then get an extra set of wheels and put snow tires on them for the 2020/2021 winter.

The rubber in your summer tires becomes "hard" below about 42F. This makes stopping, in particular, very difficult. Instead of 2 sets, you could also invest in All-weather (not all season) tires. These have a snowflake on them. They aren't as good as the Hakkas or Michelins, but are still very good in snow AND in summer
Model 3 18" Example (sorry, in $CDN): Michelin | CrossClimate + tires

Ive been searching the web furiously since my original post.

I just passed on a set of snow tires and wheels a guy was selling near you. He lives in Toronto. He was willing to meet me at Niagara Falls. They are $2000 CAD aka $1500 USD

I'm stretching a lot in order to afford this car. I still need to pay to get it clear wrapped before winter too. I am hoping I can get through this winter on the tires it arrives with. I am an excellent driver so i think I can make it work. Ill search for an affordable set for next winter.

I am still very curious to hear everyone's opinions! As it is now though I am thinking I should save my money, get through this winter with nearly brand new all seasons, then get an extra set of wheels and put snow tires on them for the 2020/2021 winter.

What is there in 1500?

- Rubber only?
- Rubber with Steel rims?
- Rubber with Alloys?

And Michelin X-Ices are the best out there.

If its alloys it's a great deal.

However since I am also searching through a lot of blogs, MX tires have special foam on the inside that makes the ride even quieter. I dont know if they recommend any specific tire.