Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought almost new 18" Aero's from someone through the forums, and put Hakkas on. Saved a couple hundred and got the rubber I wanted. Should be easy to do with plenty of time before the snow flies again.
Which hakka did you get? How have they worked out? I have always gone with Blizzak and been very impressed, but there doesn’t seem to be a Blizzak that fits the 18” aero.

Smart move!

I haven't personally tried Hakka R3's, but have heard positive things about them.
Personally, I run either Blizzak WS*0 or Michelin X-ICE Xi* winter tires (* number keeps getting incremented over time). I had tried others over the years, but keep coming back to these two.

I had ordered and just received a set of 18" winter tires and wheels (mounted and balanced with TMPS, shipped) from tirerack.com the other week for $1,868.80.

They come ready to go, and I install them myself when either temps start dropping below 40F at night, or there is a forecast for the first snow storm of the season.

Consider searching the list of independent tire shops that work with TR, by zip code:
https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/deliver_installation.html

Every place I ever tried was willing to work on a set of wheels and tires that I brought to them.
Alternatively, ask if DT will do what TR does - namely, you order a set, and they ship wheels+tires pre-mounted directly to your door.

Good luck!
a
Did you get Blizzak WS*0 or Michelin X-ICE Xi* ?
I can’t seem to find a Blizzak for mod3 18”

For some reason, Tire Rack is picking 245/40/19 tires for me when I choose the wheel+tire package. (Wheels are 8.5)
OEM size would be 235/40/19. The difference is about a 0.3" increase in diameter.

Does anyone know if this would cause any issues on a P3D+?

Also, any reason to pay more for the "T0" spec Pirelli over the non-T0 version?

For some reason, Tire Rack is picking 245/40/19 tires for me when I choose the wheel+tire package. (Wheels are 8.5)
OEM size would be 235/40/19. The difference is about a 0.3" increase in diameter.

Does anyone know if this would cause any issues on a P3D+?

Also, any reason to pay more for the "T0" spec Pirelli over the non-T0 version?
The T0 spec is the Tesla version with the foam on the inside of the tire to make it quieter. On the 19" Pirelli Sottozero 3s for a Model 3, the T0 spec is only available in a 235/40R19 size.

Maybe it's picking the 245/40R19 size because they're in stock while the 235/40R19 is "Special Order". 245/40R19 size tires will not cause any issues on any Model 3, including a P3D+.

Just for what it’s worth, I can’t tell any difference in road noise with my cheapie Generals compared to my factory Michelins.

I probably won’t spring for the Tesla-spec tires when the time comes to replace my summer tires.

Have a M3P on order and hoping to take delivery before the end of the year. I already picked up some TSportline 18” wheels for a winter setup but I haven’t decided on tires yet. Tire Rack has two versions of the Pirelli Sottozero 3, a Tesla version with “noise cancelling foam” inside the tire and a standard version. The Tesla version is about $60 more per corner. Wondering if anyone has experience with either version and how the sound compares to the OEM tires. Thanks in advance and excited to be a part of the community!

Based on my own experience and what others have said on here there seems to be almost no noticeable difference between regular tires and ones with noise canceling foam. I shopped a lot on Tire Rack and compared tons of different winter tires and the best ones I found were the Continental VikingContact 7's. Other reviews showed them having the best traction in ice and deep snow along with the best braking in both of those conditions. They were also the cheapest at $700 for all four tires, so the decision was pretty easy. They've been great in dry conditions for me as well if that's important to you.

Based on my own experience and what others have said on here there seems to be almost no noticeable difference between regular tires and ones with noise canceling foam. I shopped a lot on Tire Rack and compared tons of different winter tires and the best ones I found were the Continental VikingContact 7's. Other reviews showed them having the best traction in ice and deep snow along with the best braking in both of those conditions. They were also the cheapest at $700 for all four tires, so the decision was pretty easy. They've been great in dry conditions for me as well if that's important to you.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I waited too long (my fault) and the cheaper version without the foam is now on backorder until late January. I went with the Sottozero 3s with the foam and they will be here next week (taking delivery of my Model 3 on the 23rd!). I'm definitely tied to a performance winter tire. I've run multiple standard winter tires on previous cars and can't stand the mushy handling in the dry and the not so great traction in the dry and wet. The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s that I have on my current car (Audi S4) are a revelation as far as winter tires are concerned. Too bad they aren't available in Model 3 sizing. Around here 90% of my winter driving will be on dry or wet roads and only a small amount with any significant snow.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Not sure if this is the best place to post this as I am new here but ...
Looking for some specific advice on winter tires for a rwd model 3, 18” wheels

I live in Squamish BC (north of Vancouver south of Whistler) and commute to Vancouver for work. We don’t get a ton of snow mostly just cold and wet but as anyone that drives the sea to sky knows it’s a winding mountain road that can be pretty treacherous. Mixed conditions, Ice, snow, rain, big hills etc. Generally it’s just wet and cold. I drive to whistler to ski but also have 3/4 ton 4wd truck with snow tires if the roads are bad. most of my driving is Squamish - Vancouver
A full on snow tire like Michelin xice xi3, nokian hakkapeliitta, or gislaved nordfrost seems like it may be too much of a “snow tire” for mostly driving in rainy cold possibly icey conditions but I I don’t want to compromise on traction.

anyone have suggestions ideally that has experience on the sea to sky highway or similar west coast road conditions ?

much appreciated

We face similar sand-to-snow conditions in California.

The OEM Michelin Primacys have been OK for us on snow and ice, on both our RWD and AWD Model 3s.

However, with one set of tires now almost ready for replacement, we’re considering Michelin CrossClimates, which seem to offer a good combo of dry/wet/snow/ice competence.

Tirerack.com is a good source of consumer and expert reviews.

Eager to hear what you decide.

And, jealous that that gorgeous stretch of highway is your daily commute!

You might consider the Tesla Snow Tire Package. Pirelli Sottozero Performance Snow tire.

I formerly used Xice or Nokian. My Model X has Pirelli Scorpion snows (also a Performance snow tire similar to Sottozero) and I absolutely love them. First time I’ve ever run a Performance Snow Tire.

One other thought is All Weather tires like Nokian WR series.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I was facing similar dilemma. I live at slight elevation in Oregon and get snow a few times a year, cross the Cascades and Siskiyous and Sierra several times a year but also travel to Southern CA and the southwest in winter so didn't want full on snows. I purchased the CrossClimates for winter and have about 10K miles on them already. A little noisy on dry with decent handling, great in rain, have only had them on frosty roads no snow yet but seemed very stable.

Just for what it’s worth, I can’t tell any difference in road noise with my cheapie Generals compared to my factory Michelins.

I probably won’t spring for the Tesla-spec tires when the time comes to replace my summer tires.
I have the same tires on Aero but I think they’re noticeable louder than my OEM Michelin. Still acceptable though. I’ve put almost 2000 miles on them including a 1200-mile road trip. I agree they’re fantastic winter tires for the price. And the noise is only a small price to pay when it comes to my family’s safety.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
I have the same tires on Aero but I think they’re noticeable louder than my OEM Michelin. Still acceptable though. I’ve put almost 2000 miles on them including a 1200-mile road trip. I agree they’re fantastic winter tires for the price. And the noise is only a small price to pay when it comes to my family’s safety.
Very interesting… I wonder if wheel choice has anything to do with road noise. I’d be surprised, but then again I can’t tell much of a difference compared to the stockers. My tires are also relatively new with just over 1000 miles on them.

I installed hakkapeliitta 9 suv studded 235/50r18 on the stock wheels..... they juuuust fit ... to be honest it looks like a stud touched the front upper control arm once ( as it has a scrape ) and now I have about 1/12 of an inch clearance. So they seem to fit but if I could I would have gone with a 225/50r18 or just match the stock at 235/45r18.

update ... forsure the studs have touched the upper control arm but I think it wont wreck it.... ugh

Recived the Gemini set today after ordering it on the day it came out(3 weeks ago)
20191213_152832.jpg
20191213_152824.jpg
20191213_152816.jpg
. The ride is great, tires are a little bit louder.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I waited too long (my fault) and the cheaper version without the foam is now on backorder until late January. I went with the Sottozero 3s with the foam and they will be here next week (taking delivery of my Model 3 on the 23rd!). I'm definitely tied to a performance winter tire. I've run multiple standard winter tires on previous cars and can't stand the mushy handling in the dry and the not so great traction in the dry and wet. The Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s that I have on my current car (Audi S4) are a revelation as far as winter tires are concerned. Too bad they aren't available in Model 3 sizing. Around here 90% of my winter driving will be on dry or wet roads and only a small amount with any significant snow.
They are available in the OEM size.
IMG_0815.JPG

I installed hakkapeliitta 9 suv studded 235/50r18 on the stock wheels..... they juuuust fit ... to be honest it looks like a stud touched the front upper control arm once ( as it has a scrape ) and now I have about 1/12 of an inch clearance. So they seem to fit but if I could I would have gone with a 225/50r18 or just match the stock at 235/45r18.

update ... forsure the studs have touched the upper control arm but I think it wont wreck it.... ugh
I’m running the Hakka 9 in 235/45-18 and have enough to fit my hand in between the tire and UCA. Probably just over 3/4”. So Im sure you are very close given the tire you are running is 1” larger OD.

Just a data point for delivery on a winter tire order from Tesla's online shop for those interested in ordering. I ordered the Model 3 winter tire package on November 13th and received a text message on December 4th that the tires were in transit to the local Tesla service center near Chicago. I wasn't able to schedule the service appointment until the 26th however. I am hoping we don't have a major snowstorm before then.