Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Prefresh on 2021 Model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ and was wondering if the pre-refresh winter 18' tire kit will "fit" and is compatible with my car? I understand the only difference is likely the sensor - but what does that actually mean when these tires are fitted on my car?

I have a 2021 Model 3 SR+ and was wondering if the pre-refresh winter 18' tire kit will "fit" and is compatible with my car? I understand the only difference is likely the sensor - but what does that actually mean when these tires are fitted on my car?

Wheels and tires will fit just fine, since their sizes have not changed.

TPMS sensors are another story altogether.
Some time in ... 2020-ish ?, Tesla is rumored to have switched from industry-standard 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors (that you can buy anywhere for ~$30/each) to semi-proprietary BlueTooth based TPMS sensors. I haven't heard what standards, if any, the new BT TPMS sensors follow, so the only reliable place to get them is from your Tesla services center at $75/each.

Thus, if you mount an old set of wheels and tires onto a new Model 3, the wheels will roll just fine, but the car wont be able to read tire pressure values. Eventually, it will give up trying, and throw up an error message.

HTH,
a

Wheels and tires will fit just fine, since their sizes have not changed.

TPMS sensors are another story altogether.
Some time in ... 2020-ish ?, Tesla is rumored to have switched from industry-standard 433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors (that you can buy anywhere for ~$30/each) to semi-proprietary BlueTooth based TPMS sensors. I haven't heard what standards, if any, the new BT TPMS sensors follow, so the only reliable place to get them is from your Tesla services center at $75/each.

Thus, if you mount an old set of wheels and tires onto a new Model 3, the wheels will roll just fine, but the car wont be able to read tire pressure values. Eventually, it will give up trying, and throw up an error message.

HTH,
a
Amazing - thanks for this rundown! Is there a way for me to (1) just not use the sensors and drive/roll normally and (2) if not, does the error message hinder me from driving (i.e. do you know if it's glaring on the screen 24/7). I just ordered the pre-refresh via Tesla and am wondering if I should cancel now!

Amazing - thanks for this rundown! Is there a way for me to (1) just not use the sensors and drive/roll normally and (2)

Functionally - yes.
The wheels and tires will still roll and support your car!

if not, does the error message hinder me from driving (i.e. do you know if it's glaring on the screen 24/7).

I haven't experienced this on my Model 3, but on one other car I had that was throwing up TPMS error messages, they were fairly unobtrusive and easy to ignore.
With the Tesla software and ginormous screen, you never know. I would bet it will be more annoying then on most cars.
Try googling for what others have reported.

The other option is to buy a new set of TPMS sensors, and have them reinstalled on the old wheels+tires, and have those rebalanced. It will not be cheap, but Elon does need a new house!

Functionally - yes.
The wheels and tires will still roll and support your car!

I haven't experienced this on my Model 3, but on one other car I had that was throwing up TPMS error messages, they were fairly unobtrusive and easy to ignore.
With the Tesla software and ginormous screen, you never know. I would bet it will be more annoying then on most cars.
Try googling for what others have reported.

The other option is to buy a new set of TPMS sensors, and have them reinstalled on the old wheels+tires, and have those rebalanced. It will not be cheap, but Elon does need a new house!
Thank you - very helpful! Found someone else's experience: "
The TPMS error stays on the screen, but you can drag closed so its just a round circle. You swipe it closed from right to left like you would on a tablet. It doesnt remove it, but the error would go down to the size of the caution circle in the above screenshot, and be in the location where the caution symbol is. Whether you can live with that all winter is up to you, but its mostly out of the way."

Think I'll just settle for the pre-refresh and call it a day! Thanks :)

Hi all,

When you go to the Winter 18" wheel and tire kit on Tesla.com, it gives you the option of selecting pre or post refresh cars and includes the appropriate TPMS sensors. Unfortunately, I just checked and both pre and post versions are out of stock.

Cool - I have experienced the TPMS missing and it's not too bad and doesn't affect driving.

A slightly different question, but sounds like those in the know here can help. We have a AWD LR Model 3 2021 with aero wheels. We bought a second set of these wheels with winter tyres. Now we have a performance M3 on order and a performance MY - would the 18" aero wheels from the AWD LR M3 fit either or both of these cars? I don't want to have multiple sets of winter wheels and tyres, hence the question. Or do I need to invest in another set due the brake size on the performance? Thanks in advance

A slightly different question, but sounds like those in the know here can help. We have a AWD LR Model 3 2021 with aero wheels. We bought a second set of these wheels with winter tyres. Now we have a performance M3 on order and a performance MY - would the 18" aero wheels from the AWD LR M3 fit either or both of these cars?

Tesla OEM 18" aero wheels will not clear Model 3 Performance rotor lip. Other 18" wheels will (check www.tirerack.com), but not Tesla's.
I realize that this is a bit weird and unfortunately, but it's also sadly true.

w.r.t. Model 3 vs. Model Y wheels, they are similar (lug pattern is the same), but Model Y's wheels are 1" wider:
Model 3:
1635861382846.png

Model Y:
1635861650739.png

Outside of brake caliper clearance and Performance rotor hub lip considerations, Model 3's wheels and tires should physically fit onto Model Y wheel well, but the wheels and tires will both be a bit too narrow. If I recall correctly, Model 3 defaults to 235mm wide tires, while Model Y rolls on 255mm wide rubbers.
Model Y will be under-tired on 235mm tires, and handling will get negatively effected.

I don't want to have multiple sets of winter wheels and tyres, hence the question. Or do I need to invest in another set due the brake size on the performance?

I would try to sell the old 18" Model 3 winter wheels+tires set, and order a new set for the Performance cars.
If you plan to drive both TM3P and TM3Y in the winter, you will need 2 sets of winter tires of different width.

Alternatively, 245mm wide tires definitely fit on Model 3 (I ran those myself), and with some testing, you could check if 255mm wide ones on Model Y wheels fit as well. If you only need/want one set of winter wheels+tires, you can get creative with shopping for a "compromise" set (maybe 9" wide 19 or 20 diameter wheels and 245mm wide tires), but you will be on the hook to research the exact fit and clearance constraints.

HTH,
a

HTH,
a

Last edited:
Cool - I have experienced the TPMS missing and it's not too bad and doesn't affect driving.

A slightly different question, but sounds like those in the know here can help. We have a AWD LR Model 3 2021 with aero wheels. We bought a second set of these wheels with winter tyres. Now we have a performance M3 on order and a performance MY - would the 18" aero wheels from the AWD LR M3 fit either or both of these cars? I don't want to have multiple sets of winter wheels and tyres, hence the question. Or do I need to invest in another set due the brake size on the performance? Thanks in advance
No. The Tesla 18" wheels will NOT fit the Performance trim vehicles due to the larger brake calipers. Other 18" wheels MIGHT, you'll have to double check and make sure. The vendors that cater to Teslas usually state if they will fit Performance trim vehicles.

When you go to the Winter 18" wheel and tire kit on Tesla.com, it gives you the option of selecting pre or post refresh cars and includes the appropriate TPMS sensors. Unfortunately, I just checked and both pre and post versions are out of stock.
I literally settled for pre-refresh because it was the only one in stock! That's why haha

No. The Tesla 18" wheels will NOT fit the Performance trim vehicles due to the larger brake calipers. Other 18" wheels MIGHT, you'll have to double check and make sure. The vendors that cater to Teslas usually state if they will fit Performance trim vehicles.
Just to stress this point - I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance and I ordered an 18" wheel/tire set which was supposed to fit but it did not. Got a different set of 18" and they do fit but barely - in fact the tire shop put the wheel weights right where the calipers are and the wheel weights were rubbing so I have to get them moved (just removed them for now).

If you have a M3P you need to be very cautious of 18" wheels. Even ones that will fit will not have a lot of clearance. If I had it all to do over I would have gotten 19" just to avoid the headache.

Also can confirm the 2021s have Bluetooth TPMS. Tesla sells them separate so you can get wheels/tires from a local place and get your own TPMS for them to install. I ordered from an online site that happens to offer the bluetooth TPMS and they just worked with no issues.