Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires question - rolling resistance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://tekniikanmaailma.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/tm_17_2016_english.pdf

This was a really thorough test. It looks like the Nokian wins for rolling resistance.

The reason why am posting this whole thread is so that people can give me their winter experience of last year with their tire choices that they finally settled on. Of course I expect some sort of cognitive dissonnwnve protection of poorer choices...

I'm looking to put tire on my car for mostly trips from SoCal to Mammoth with the bulk of the time in SoCal ( very few miles driven in Mammoth but the road is not well,plowed. Also for use in Colorado Vail....and as a former ASPEN Limo driver using Suburbans and Escalades in the winter....I was typically only booked for rides from Aspen to the Denver airport when it was so snowy that flights were canceled. There were many times when I had to drive in complete white out conditions using the rumble strip on the side of the road as a sort of driving by braille.

The full-size suburban was equipped with average quality winter tires. When it came time to purchase winter tires for my girlfriends (Tahoe size) Cadillac Escalade we went for the Hakkapelletta 7 with factory installed eco studs.

In Colorado the roads are not well taken care of compare to New England which is where. I owned a high performance racing snowboard company and drove most of my miles through snowstorms. In New England you can get by with 2 Wheel Drive and snow tires in an Audi. That's a lot more difficult to do in Colorado. The default for Colorado is four-wheel-drive with snow tires. I would shudder whenever I had to rent a 4 x 4 with all season tires in the snow.

On the way to pick up my girlfriends new snow tires everyone and asked if it was sliding through the stop signs it was glare ice everywhere. They melted the snow tires and we drove back. Everyone was still sliding into the intersections. We could drive like we were on dry roads. We tried to make the tires lose traction and they were tenacious. We even tried to accelerate hard and then slam on the brakes to try to engage the ABS, it would not even engage. I didn't want to try at higher speeds and more aggressively because I probably would've gotten a ticket.

After our first hour of driving on these tires we both looked each other in the face and said "oh my God you could climb trees with these things "

All that being said, now I need probably need a different kind of tire. I'm attracted to the Nokian Low rolling resistance, because it's already a difficult jump from the Rancho Santa Margarita supercharger to the Inyokern supercharger on the trip to Mammoth in a tesla 70 5D or 90 D model X. making the jump in the model X 75D with just slight speeding have the car asking me to slow down below 50 miles an hour to reach there. At that point I really had to shut down the heat.

My 90D will only give me 20 more miles of range and I certainly don't want to squander that with a high rolling resistance winter tire.

So , who bought the the WR and who bought the R2?

I saw Nordman ( nokian side brand with older tech ) they got very good reviews, but in recovering from a difficult slide situation ( in the above posted review) it wasn't so good. So I Ruled those out.

• Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Get the Sottozero 3 . It is very useful to have a Tesla OEM tire that Tesla will mount and balance and replace. Either buy from Tesla or buy from Tirerack have them ship to Tesla. Then they will install and you don't have to worry about someon putting th lift arm through your battery.
And the reviews I've found of the Sottozero 3 show it is a great tire:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=181

Right now Trierack is having $120 off 4 Pirelli winter tires tires (through a slightly annoying Visa card and mastercard thing that you have to send in.)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Sottozero+3

I have the Michelin X-Ice and am very pleased. Only one I’ve tried on my Tesla. Wet performance mattered to me. We get little ice but more snow and slush. Tires are quieter than my worn all-seasons. No slipping. Energy consumption is up about 10%, but I can’t separate out the effect of the tires from the cold conditions.

I found some stock 19-inch rims with TPMS (look on eBay, Craigslist, classifieds here) for less than the aftermarket rims.

My apologies for so many typos in my previous post. I put too much trust in Siri.

One other thing we did as snowboard company owners is we would ride in each other's Suburbans and F-150s and the only thing that really different about them where the snow tires. Certain brands weren't really too good. We didn't like the Cooper tires, even though they were an incredible bargain. We also didn't find the Michelin's to test as well as the test report said. But that was an older Michelin that was Pilot Alpin I owned then and frankly I was so disappointed I swapped them out 2 weeks later under Tire Direct of Watertowns , Massachusetts satisfaction guaranty . We all thought the blockly tread from the blizzacks was really loud. And we also liked on the Mercedes wagons the Veredesteins.

To me nothing was anything like the Nokian which retained their grip after several seasons long after others had lost so much grip along with their tread. My first set was the Nokian NRW and I think I got nearly 4 seasons out of that set, driving them into the ground by using them year round for the last two years but the tread kept holding up. I kinda dig that when you TRY TO TRASH something and it holds up saying "What else you got?".

That being said, if you have tried Nokian tires and found a better tire afterwards, please post your comments.