Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, first post here! Just got my 2016 MS P90D a couple of months ago. I live in MN so I've been reading that winter tires are a must. Any recommendations on where to go and what to get? I hear 21's are not available in winters so I'd go 19. Any help would be appreciated!

Winter tires are a must in MN
The S is dangerous on summer tires in winter. DO NOT DO IT
the S is mediocre with all seasons
With winter tires, it is a VERY good car
(Not as good as an SUV due to low clearancewhich causes problems in deeper snow)

I have Michelin X ice tires
Bought from Discount Tire.
If you buy tires AND wheels, they will swap your winters/all seasons every year for free. This saves you $100 per year and makes it cheaper than Costco.

I put my winter tires on Tesla original rims, and bought more sporty rims for my all seasons. Car looks better that way cause all cars so dirty in Winter!

Initially Discount Tires would screw things up (wrong PSI, etc)... but now they service a ton of Teslas so no worries anymore. Especially in Chanhassrn which is near the Tesla Service Center
(I use Bloomington location)

Lastly, 19s are better than 21s here. Reason = potholes which destroy 21s.
(Not sure how many potholes are in the Chan)

21s are pretty. Maybe not too functional

We have a lease so I didn't buy spare rims, we just got some winter tires and swapped them out at Pep Boys in December, swapped back to all-seasons in March. I had read all kinds of warnings about making sure the installers don't mess up the TPMS, so was a little nervous. Turns out Pep Boys did a great job, no TPMS errors or warnings, and the tires were great. Drove from LA to Tahoe 2x last winter during crazy snowstorms. No slippage problems at all.

The tires were Dunlop Wintermaxx 2. 245/45/19. Go ahead and make fun of me for not buying the Pirellis, but I only paid $125/tire and they handled great.

Reactions: NickDeRoo