Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires that fit on both M3 and MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a 3 with a Y on order but he Y won’t come before winter ends, so i want a set of winters that will fit on both vehicles to avoid having to purchase two sets. What size profile will fit both vehicles? I assume 19s but unsure is stock Y sizing will fit on a 3.

The stock rims won't work. The Model 3's 19" rims are 8.5" wide where the Y's are 9.5". Swapping your smaller 3 rims onto the Y is probably a poor idea given that these are traction tires. It might be possible to get a single set of 9.5's to put on both cars, though that requires more knowledge of the 3 than I have.

The stock rims won't work. The Model 3's 19" rims are 8.5" wide where the Y's are 9.5". Swapping your smaller 3 rims onto the Y is probably a poor idea given that these are traction tires. It might be possible to get a single set of 9.5's to put on both cars, though that requires more knowledge of the 3 than I have.
Thanks. I wasn’t planning on swapping anything i currently have but rather buying new rims and tires for winter usage that I can use on both vehicles. Is that not possible?

Over all diameter of the 3 wheel and tire is 26.3 inches, the Y wheel and tire is 28 inches. Snow tires meant for the Y will not fit on the 3, they will hit the upper control arm of the suspension. If you get snow tires that fit the 3 they will look ridiculous on the Y, and throw off the speedometer and odometer readings by a significant amount.

Face it, if you live in an area that gets significant snow you are NOT going to be swapping the wheels and tires back and forth between the 3 and the Y on a regular basis anyway. You can either pick one to be your winter driver, or you need to get a set of snow tires for each rather than trying to share a set of snow tires between the two.

If you plan to sell the 3 after you get the Y, then get a set of snows for the 3 for this winter, and sell them when you sell the 3 and at that point get snows for the Y.

Keith

It's possible but there will likely be a compromise on multiple fronts. I have tried several tires sizes on our model Y and but have only rented a model 3 for a few days.

Are you getting MY LR or performance?

You'll have to check your clearance on the model 3 suspension to accommodate a slightly larger diameter tire. 235/50r18 or a 245/45r18 winter will likely work for both models.

OEM model 3 tire diameter is 26.3? Correct?
OEM model Y tire diameter is 28"

Our MY LR runs on 235/65r18 (30" diameter) on a 18x7.5" wheel, offset 45. I've also tried 235/60r18 and 245/60r18 18x8 offset 40 without issue. I would have no qualms about running a 27.3" diameter tire on 18x 7.5 or 18x8 or 18x8.5 on the Y as a winter tire. I'm assuming the OEM clearance with suspension are similar for m3 and it could accommodate a 27.3" diameter 235 tire. That would increas ground clearance by 1/2". If you put that 27.3" tire on the Y you'll obviously lose a bit of ground clearance and increase the visual gap at wheel Wells. The winter tires may end up being H speed rated.

Good luck. Post back if your able to pull it off.