Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires + wheels - tips, guidance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first winter with the Model-S RWD in Maryland. Looking to get winter tires + wheels (figured it would be simpler to get them changed. Plus, would have the benefit of already-installed TPMs).

Looking at the Tesla shop, $2500 seems a bit steep for a set of 4 wheels, but then again, is it? Considering it contains the wheels, tires and includes installation. Your guys' thoughts?

I've seen a few posts of folks selling their wheel sets + tires on here, which would be a much better deal than the $2500, but when I called my local Tesla Service Center to ask questions about mounting them, if I bought them, I was told "We will only install wheels on your car if you purchase them brand new from Tesla."

That was a downer for me, because a couple of the sets I saw for sale were from a set of earlier VINs (My VIN is 51000+), which meant I would need the Tesla Center to put on new TPMs sensors on them before mounting.

Do you all have any words of wisdom or tips? Or is my best bet to just shell out the $2500 on the Tesla store?

I just dropped the $2500 yesterday for my wife's RWD MS since it's her daily driver. I'm just leaving the factory set on my AWD MS cause the $2500 hurts bad enough. Maybe I'll get another set next year for my car. I still have a 4WD Explorer to drive in the winter to get to work.

I did my research for weeks, as well, and just decided to go with Tesla instead of dealing with the headache of getting wheels, tires, TMPS, and then finding a reliable shop to install it all on a Tesla at a price that would make it worth not going with the Tesla winter set.

Reactions: bhzmark
I just dropped the $2500 yesterday for my wife's RWD MS since it's her daily driver.

Same; this one's my daily driver and I drive ~60 miles (mostly highway) every day. Your post is convincing me to just buy them online and be done with it.

Quick question: How long/painful was the process? Like, you ordered them online, I'm assuming, but how long did it take for your local Service Center to have them on-hand and then when did they get in touch with you to bring your wife's RWD MS in?

I just got a set of wheels and tires from tire rack with TPMS installed for like $1900 delivered to my door. I installed them myself and reset the cars TPMS through the screen with no problems. My Discount Tire has the rubber pads for lifting a Tesla as they have done many in the past. But I have the equipment to change it on my own so I didn't take them in.

I had the 21's so it made more sense to buy a set of 19's with winter tires than to keep swapping them back and forth since 21" winter tires were about the same price.

I got the Axis Sport XR's and Michelin X-Ice Xi3's.

I thought about the Tesla ones for $500 more but I liked the look of the Axis better and no tax! So I saved a bit more than $500 overall. Plus these are only for the snow and it didn't make sense to spend more than I needed on wheels that will be on for one season!

I purchased the winter tires and wheels from Tesla when it I ordered it. This is their third winter. The Pirelli tires are great in the snow and ice. It's almost scary how well they (and the car's traction control, weight distribution, etc.) handle snow. I've tried to intentionally get them to slide by aggressive acceleration and braking and all I get is well controlled movement.
I like having the tires mounted on separate wheels since I can change them myself easily instead of waiting for the local grease monkeys to butcher the lug nuts and car lift points.

Reactions: bhzmark
Decided to just opt for the path with the least amount of hassle and the maximum amount of peace of mind; purchased the set of 19" slipstream wheels with winter tires off of the Tesla website. Emailed my local Tesla service center to let them know and they responded first thing this morning that they'll call me as soon as the order comes in to them so we can schedule a time for me to come in.

May also have them switch the winter tires out to my current slipstream rims (a couple of scratches here and there), so I can use the brand new rims with my summer tires.

Thank you everyone for your input and help!

• Informative
Reactions: TravisT
Quick question: How long/painful was the process? Like, you ordered them online, I'm assuming, but how long did it take for your local Service Center to have them on-hand and then when did they get in touch with you to bring your wife's RWD MS in?

I haven't heard or seen anything since I placed the order online. Meanwhile, immediately after I ordered the tire bags two days ago, I got an order confirmation email that said I would get another email when the bags ship.

I just got a set of wheels and tires from tire rack with TPMS installed for like $1900 delivered to my door. I installed them myself and reset the cars TPMS through the screen with no problems. My Discount Tire has the rubber pads for lifting a Tesla as they have done many in the past. But I have the equipment to change it on my own so I didn't take them in.

I had the 21's so it made more sense to buy a set of 19's with winter tires than to keep swapping them back and forth since 21" winter tires were about the same price.

I got the Axis Sport XR's and Michelin X-Ice Xi3's.

I thought about the Tesla ones for $500 more but I liked the look of the Axis better and no tax! So I saved a bit more than $500 overall. Plus these are only for the snow and it didn't make sense to spend more than I needed on wheels that will be on for one season!

Can you post some pictures of these rims on the car? Looking for some summer rims - sticking with the OEMs for winter.

Can you post some pictures of these rims on the car? Looking for some summer rims - sticking with the OEMs for winter.

I am so sorry I didn't see this reply. I attached it below
my car.jpg

Reactions: masamitsu
I just got winter tires for our new-to-me 2013 Tesla S 85 today, and want to sing the praises of the service we got. Turns out that Tesla has a preferred customer arrangement with "Go Tire" in our province of Alberta. I was a bit suspicious that this idea, where the tire van comes to your door, thinking it likely to be wickedly more expensive. After speaking to the about what i was looking for, they emailed 3 tire options and pricing. Comparing the tire prices to Costco, Go-Tire was cheaper.

They charge a $30 Cdn visit fee, but the rest of the prices are in the ball park, and that $30 bucks was more then covered with the reduced price of tires. What really sealed it for me was the fella who came did a meticulous, careful, thorough, and knowledgeable job of the whole deal. I recommend Go Tire if they are in your area.

They will also store your summer tires for $100/year, but we did not opt for that extra expense as we have the space to store them ourselves.

Another option is order the pirelli winter tires and have Tesla mount them on your existing wheels. They will do that as long as tires are a model that they have sold and approved. I think Michelin xice are approved also.