TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Winter tires/wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Dan Baldwin, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Sorry to ask a question that probably gets asked a lot, but I have done some research and I'm not totally clear on the results.
    I was going to buy the Tesla store wheels/tires combo and have them delivered to a SC and then make an appt for install. However, my SC is an hour away and the coordinating of the order, delivery and SC appointment make me want to order wheels somewhere else, have them delivered to my house, buy tires from my local tire store and have them mounted and installed there. Is there any reason to be cautious about doing it this way ? They said they have done this with Tesla's in the past.

Still don't know whether to get 19s or 21s. I live in Colorado and will be getting full on snow tires.

2. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

1) 19s (or 18s if possible). For snow, you want the smallest rims that will fit your car with the narrowest tires allowed.

2) If you trust your tire shop to know how to lift a Tesla, then there's no reason to use the SC.

3. Dan Baldwin

Dan Baldwin Member

Thanks !

4. murse

murse Member

I dont believe 18's fit over the brakes and calipers