Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a hell of a hard time finding 255/45/19 in Canada. Downsizing it to 245/45/19 was recommended by many tire shops. Is this something I can do? Or is it highly not recommended. Running Gemini OEM rims.

I was able to order in a set of 255/45/19 Hakka R3's from Kal-Tire...took about 2 weeks. I am putting them on the 19 Gemini's next Monday....hopefully your able to find some soon!

I ordered TPMS, rims and winter tires in Sept and everybody was looking at me like I was crazy. But seeing how screwed up 2020 has been, how production would probably be impacted and tires in short supply, I was right. I only got my backordered Hakka R3 SUV 255/45R19 on Oct 28 At the time I ordered them, they were practically impossible to get and definitely a nothing available for Michelin winter tires.

Good luck with it. If you can afford it, get a second set of 19 inch rims that are 8.5 inches wide - less chance for curb rash.

Reactions: stactum
I got the same VikingContact 7 as @seniorcitizen. I'm quite happy with the performance and price. I was able to grab them off blackcircles.ca early September for $93 CDN per tire. I have them mounted on the Gemini/Apollo wheels and are noticeably quiet. I was gonna go with the gold standard Hakkas but these were too cheap to pass up.

They aren't performance tires (WinterContact TS?) but are one of the best rated general purpose Nordic winters.

Winter Tire Tests | Saskatchewan Studded Tire Club

Reactions: 907XCP
I’m still waiting on my other 2 to come, received 2 wheels so far. Had to order with wheel and TPMS sensors from TireRack. Happy to hear they’re comfortable as I wasn’t looking forward to trying out 21 Uberturbines in the snow ❄️

I had a hard time finding anything in Denver, so I ordered the Vredestein Wintrac Pro. I got to test them out this morning. Way way better than the stock tires. A bit louder than stock as they do not have the soft insert.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?message=singleSize&tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Wintrac+Pro&width=255/&ratio=45&diameter=19&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Model+Y+Long+Range&autoModClar=&minLoadRating=XL&minSpeedRating=V&cameFrom=selectOE&partnum=545VR9WTPXL

Having a hell of a hard time finding 255/45/19 in Canada. Downsizing it to 245/45/19 was recommended by many tire shops. Is this something I can do? Or is it highly not recommended. Running Gemini OEM rims.
If you have costco nearby, try visiting them or calling them. They Can special order Michelin or Pirelli for you. Else try wheelsco.ca they have this size winter tyres and wheel etc

Regarding the Tesla 19" Gemeni Winter Wheel and Tire Package, has anyone had confirmation from Tesla that this can be used on the Performance upgrade model Y? I know that the model 3 performance specifies use on the performance model in the description but no description for the for the model Y gemini package. I've emailed Tesla and my sales advisor but nobody seems to has the answer yet. I have seen the posting that the wheels fit on the performance, but there are other considerations about loads, step rings on the performance hub? And what version of Sottozero 3 (W of V rating)?

Although very expensive, I would love a package that just works without much research. Located in the PNW (Vancouver Canada), any comments about the package would be helpful.

The winter wheel package offered by Tesla will fit the Performance. To be honest, I think the only reason they exist is for an easy, overpriced winter option for Performance models.

I gonna assume V rating because that's what it reads on the enlarged image.

Hi Y owners. A newbie here. Graduated from my Chevy Bolt to a Model Y at the end of July. I just had the Nokian R 3s put on a couple weeks ago. One size down as there were no 255s around any of the warehouses. I've done a couple trips to Butte Montana from Helena in full winter driving and they've done fine. Also some driving into Homestake Lodge for some XC skiing on 7-8" of unplowed partially tracked road.

Reactions: seniorcitizen
Hi Y owners. A newbie here. Graduated from my Chevy Bolt to a Model Y at the end of July. I just had the Nokian R 3s put on a couple weeks ago. One size down as there were no 255s around any of the warehouses. I've done a couple trips to Butte Montana from Helena in full winter driving and they've done fine. Also some driving into Homestake Lodge for some XC skiing on 7-8" of unplowed partially tracked road.
What size tyres you have ? also did you get wheels ? Can you please share details

Gave them a call. They said they're sold out Canada wide and will not be receiving anymore stock on that size until the next season.
Point S in Helena couldn't find the 255s in Blizzaks, Michelin Ice 13s anywhere and I went with their recommendations to drop down a size since he could get the Nokians in 245. There are actually several Teslas in Helena and Point S handles several of them so I felt I could trust his recommendation.