Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Point S in Helena couldn't find the 255s in Blizzaks, Michelin Ice 13s anywhere and I went with their recommendations to drop down a size since he could get the Nokians in 245. There are actually several Teslas in Helena and Point S handles several of them so I felt I could trust his recommendation.
I'm located in Canada. Importing tires are taxed dependant on where the tires are manufactured and can go as high as 30%.

I called my tire guy today and he ordered Michelin PA5 in 255-40-20. Not sure what tires there are shortages of, but he is receiving these on Monday, and said supplier had plenty in stock in Ontario. Price was very good as well. These are W rated performance winter tires.

Have the new PZero Winters. Have always had Blizzaks for snow, which are excellent, but I'm a fan of these pirellis now. However, like most snow tires, they're awful over 50F outside.
Thats why I don’t mind waiting a few more weeks to put them on. I went with PA5, the pirelli’s look good, only available in 19’ config, they dont have the right size for the 20”.

Gave them a call. They said they're sold out Canada wide and will not be receiving anymore stock on that size until the next season.
That's quite strange, Only today afternoon I called Costco Burlington for 255/45/19 104W winter tyres and they told me they can order Pirelli Zero winter, cost $340 each tyre. Approx 10 days delivery but I need to come to warehouse and place the order.
Check Wheelsco.ca they have very good prices and packages

Tesla Model Y Winter Package

That's quite strange, Only today afternoon I called Costco Burlington for 255/45/19 104W winter tyres and they told me they can order Pirelli Zero winter, cost $340 each tyre. Approx 10 days delivery but I need to come to warehouse and place the order.

That seems like a good price. The larger tire sizes don’t seem to be priced competetively at costco for some reason. I think those are V rated, not W, in case thats important to you.

This made things easy for me, thank you!

Any tips on getting the TPMS? Is it $400 from Tesla for the 4 Bluetooth sensors?

This made things easy for me, thank you!

Any tips on getting the TPMS? Is it $400 from Tesla for the 4 Bluetooth sensors?
Spence tires in Scarborough ont has a winter tire package. Nokian hakkepelita (best rated winter tires) and replika rims for 2399cdn installed. I had to buy tesla tpms sensors for $400 and bring with me on install day.
Tires are amazing and my 20” tires were certainly not meant for snowy conditions. I also changed the tire size on the screen to 19” after install. I’m guessing it will adjust speedometer?
These tires were almost half the cost of teslas tire package, look great and have much superior tires. Pirelli ones are apparently not great...according to the lady at spence tire

Spence tires in Scarborough ont has a winter tire package. Nokian hakkepelita (best rated winter tires) and replika rims for 2399cdn installed. I had to buy tesla tpms sensors for $400 and bring with me on install day.
Tires are amazing and my 20” tires were certainly not meant for snowy conditions. I also changed the tire size on the screen to 19” after install. I’m guessing it will adjust speedometer?
These tires were almost half the cost of teslas tire package, look great and have much superior tires. Pirelli ones are apparently not great...according to the lady at spence tire

are those rims forged or just regular cast? if so those are prob super bad quality rims and on the website it says "2399 + hst" so its not "installed" so $2399+400 is $3800 Without HST (on tpms and spencetire cost) that's more than $3000 19" gemini tire package.. obviously aren't black.... so these guys rip people off with "Tesla package" thats priced double than every other powedercoating package on the website........... so even if you buy the crappy gemini 19" and coat them you're still cheaper than buying there winter tire package? End of the day you get what you pay for... Forged rims weigh less and are much better quality, so that is why others are priced higher but end of the day if you just want the cheapest setup without any quality there are still better options -- I personally avoid giving business to anyone that has a tesla tax on everything with the assumption "this guy can afford a tesla, he can give me more $$$"

are those rims forged or just regular cast? if so those are prob super bad quality rims and on the website it says "2399 + hst" so its not "installed" so $2399+400 is $3800 Without HST (on tpms and spencetire cost) that's more than $3000 19" gemini tire package.. obviously aren't black.... so these guys rip people off with "Tesla package" thats priced double than every other powedercoating package on the website........... so even if you buy the crappy gemini 19" and coat them you're still cheaper than buying there winter tire package? End of the day you get what you pay for... Forged rims weigh less and are much better quality, so that is why others are priced higher but end of the day if you just want the cheapest setup without any quality there are still better options -- I personally avoid giving business to anyone that has a tesla tax on everything with the assumption "this guy can afford a tesla, he can give me more $$$"

I don’t disagree with your sentiment. But many things you’ve stated are not accurate.

1) these Fast Replika R241 rims claim to be forged and the weight would indicate this is true.
2) $2400+400 = $2800.
Not $3800 like you said. Still, this is so close to Tesla’s 19” winter package price.

Tesla tax sucks, can’t have a conversation with a salesperson without them assuming and pushing for expensive solutions. These cars are surprisingly economical in the right use-case. Many frugal Tesla drivers out there.

I got the Nokians and immediately appreciated the traction. Was sliding around in my RWD MY on 20” inductions. I do find them a bit noisy and not as easy to drive straight (not feel like you’re tossing side to side while driving straight on the highway). But these issues are nit picking and not a deal breaker since traction, range, and tread life are most important for me. I’m told these should do well in those categories - but time will tell.

2300 + hst....and 400 for the tpms sensors from Tesla. 19” Nokian tires were installed, of course, as part of the cost.
As for replika rims, I thought they are forged.
Wasn’t the winter tire package at Tesla 4000$ cdn?!
So 2700$ plus tax vs 4000$ plus tax.... for far superior tires. For people who really want the Tesla rims I suppose they will pay more for them.

2300 + hst....and 400 for the tpms sensors from Tesla. 19” Nokian tires were installed, of course, as part of the cost.
As for replika rims, I thought they are forged.
Wasn’t the winter tire package at Tesla 4000$ cdn?!
So 2700$ plus tax vs 4000$ plus tax.... for far superior tires. For people who really want the Tesla rims I suppose they will pay more for them.

Sounds like a good deal if the rims are of equal or better quality that the Tesla rims. However, the salesperson might have been trying to get your sale and exaggerating the difference between the tires. The Hakkapelliittas are fantastic winter tires, but the Pirelli Sottozero 3's are very good also. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Winter+Sottozero+3

• Disagree
Reactions: pt19713