Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can put together your own winter tire and wheel package on TireRack, also Discount Tires for a bit less money. The Tesla wheel and winter tire packages make is easy, include the required tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors ($75 a piece from the Tesla.com online store.)

You can put together your own winter tire and wheel package on TireRack, also Discount Tires for a bit less money. The Tesla wheel and winter tire packages make is easy, include the required tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors ($75 a piece from the Tesla.com online store.)

Yup, done that for years - curious what Tesla peeps thought of the the Tesla winter package ie tires?

I ran the Pirelli Sottozero 3s for two winters in Quebec City since my other choices were BO when I got the car late 2019. They are okay winter tires but they are not up there with the top picks. The feeling on dry pavement is the closest to summer tires I have ever felt on winter tires, which is not a bad thing. I'd say they're a great choice for someone that lives where it doesn't snow too harshly or there's not that much ice. They were not a great choice for Quebec (but they were okay).

The good thing ( :) ) is this car chews through tires so fast that I was able to change on the third winter. I got Continental VikingContact 7s, same thing we got for my wife's Subaru Crosstrek. These are better in the snow in my opinion, and still have good behavior on dry pavement at highway speeds. They are not quite as good as Nokian Hakkapelliitas which are among the best, but they are reasonably good.

EDIT: I should add that compared to all season tires, any of these are 1000x better in winter. Winter tires are mandatory here so I sometimes forget that for some people it's still a choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyomingEV
Worked fine last winter.

Only gripe, wow no rim protection. Don’t lay them flat on the ground without something under them. Ask me how I know. Haha

Attachments

• C615B517-A222-4BBF-A358-D05D0ABD76D8.jpeg
    C615B517-A222-4BBF-A358-D05D0ABD76D8.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 9A9F93B2-1718-4F1B-8D42-7D894E73E586.jpeg
    9A9F93B2-1718-4F1B-8D42-7D894E73E586.jpeg
    742 KB · Views: 90
Worked fine last winter.

Only gripe, wow no rim protection. Don’t lay them flat on the ground without something under them. Ask me how I know. Haha
Sorry to ask but are these 19” or 18”?

Also, did you happen to know if 18” clear the MYP calipers?

As for snow tires question, I think i’m qualified to answer that living in Edmonton, AB for 10 yrs now. The best snow tires for any car is Nokian Hakkapeliitta. I have mine for 9 winters now (religiously swap to oem all-seasons once it’s 7C and above) and never been stuck in any kind of snow. And we do get a lot of snow here up north and very cold as well.

Sorry to ask but are these 19” or 18”?

Also, did you happen to know if 18” clear the MYP calipers?

As for snow tires question, I think i’m qualified to answer that living in Edmonton, AB for 10 yrs now. The best snow tires for any car is Nokian Hakkapeliitta. I have mine for 9 winters now (religiously swap to oem all-seasons once it’s 7C and above) and never been stuck in any kind of snow. And we do get a lot of snow here up north and very cold as well.
19”. You probably get a lot more snow than we do. Will look at those tires next. Thanks!

Reactions: greatauror28