Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter trips in the Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are kinda done with our gas cars (Audi A4, BMW X5 50i). A lightly used 3 makes perfect sense for her, but we also have been thinking we need a bigger car for long trips and winter snowboarding runs. We live in San Diego, and make the trip to Mammoth 3-5 times per year with our 2 teenage kids.

What do people think about the Y and how it would fare loaded up with 4 snowboards (roof rack?) and all the crap that goes with a family of 4? Could you do it in an S? Is the X a better choice? The X and S are a bit out of my price range, but if for example the X is the only choice for trips like that we might stretch a bit. Or wait for the Y?

We used to have a Mercedes ML with rooftop ski racks and a GLK without ski racks. When we went to Tahoe with our 2 kids, we took the ML with 4 snowboards on the roof, more room in the car but boards got really dirty. We used the GLK if just me and my wife and kept the snowboards in the car with one rear seat folded down, much better. Neither the X nor the Y have good ground clearance for a really good CA Winter in backroads, but I would take a X over the Y for the room and that you can keep the boards inside the car. Look of a used X instead of waiting for 2 Winters.

Reactions: Rossy
Assuming you mean Mammoth Lakes up in Yosemite National Park, Google is telling me that a ~400 mile drive one way. That means you'll need charging to do it with any current Tesla model.

There are lots of charging options along the way, so it won't be a problem. I don't think the Y will be any worse at this any of the other cars - and it's a better choice than some. The X can't do a roof rack, so the snow boards would have to go on a rear rack or trailer there, while the Y presumably will take the roof rack fine.

Tesla traction control is the best in the business, and the cars generally handle winter weather very well (better with snow tires, of course.) You'll lose some range in the winter, mostly to warming the battery and cabin - on long trips it's maybe 15% more - but since you'll be charging on this trip anyway, all it means is a little more time at your stops.

Reactions: Rossy
you'll be charging on this trip anyway, all it means is a little more time at your stops.

I think it would be worth considering that the Y will have V3 supercharging and would be faster at charging as long as they get a V3 along that route.

I'm waiting on the Y for this same trip... I'm from LA so a little less of a drive, but I'll still need to charge along the way.

I think you be tight for space with the snowboards inside. A rack on the receiver would also be an option.

Dirt with outside equipment is certainly an issue. Is that a covered receiver mounted snowboard rack?

Charging isn't an issue IMO, even with the reduced range caused by outside gear. You need to stop for a meal.

Thanks all. I'm not too worried about the dirty snowboards, they get cleaned fast enough on the mountain :) But did I read that right the X doesn't take roof racks? But the Y will? Just for fun, I compared ground clearance between my X5 and the X, its 8.7" vs 5.7". So I lose a bit of clearance. Honestly, if I need that 3" I probably shouldn't be driving in those conditions anyways. I love the X, but it's sooo expensive. Seems like the Y will be a nice compromise.

Thanks all. I'm not too worried about the dirty snowboards, they get cleaned fast enough on the mountain :) But did I read that right the X doesn't take roof racks? But the Y will?

Correct. There's less than a foot between the Falcon Wing Doors when open - the need for overhead clearance and inability to do roof racks is the price you pay for the easier access to second and third row seats. The Model Y uses conventional doors.

Also note that the X can raise the car a few inches when needed, and we don't know what the Y's ground clearance will be (likely slightly more than the 3, but likely on solid springs so it can't raise up when it might be helpful.)

We have 2 small dogs and weekend trips were a tight squeeze in a Model 3. Model Y would certainly do a lot better.

We now have an X ;) Much better.

4 boards on that wimpy Model 3 rack, 2 teenagers (which I assume are still growing), no way.

Maybe the Model Y hitch (which I assume it will have) would solve that too.

Thanks all. I'm not too worried about the dirty snowboards, they get cleaned fast enough on the mountain :) But did I read that right the X doesn't take roof racks? But the Y will? Just for fun, I compared ground clearance between my X5 and the X, its 8.7" vs 5.7". So I lose a bit of clearance. Honestly, if I need that 3" I probably shouldn't be driving in those conditions anyways. I love the X, but it's sooo expensive. Seems like the Y will be a nice compromise.

The X has a adjustable suspension, and raises about 3.2" IIRC. The high setting is about 8.2".

Correct, the X cannot use a roof rack because of the falcon doors. Has 2" trailer receiver, so that gives some storage options.

The X is the best winter/snow car I've had, better than my Suburban. I drive a lot in Maine.

My unsolicited vote is get a used X100D. The first Ys will be expensive, and a long time coming.

I’ve had a Model X for 2 years. Purchased Sept 2017. 50k miles and lots of trailer towing and road trips. You will be very happy with a Model Y.
We took a ~3000 mile road trip towing a 3500# trailer from Portland OR to LA and on to Phoenix and back via Disneyland. It’s an amazing car. We drive up to Mt Hood and over the Oregon Coast range in winter. I will say the Tesla purchase is the best money I’ve ever spent on anything in my 50+ years on planet Earth. -550,000 more miles and it’s going to have been a free car.

Attachments

• 57B3EFF0-BD5E-47E6-BA1F-CB18C047174E.jpeg
    57B3EFF0-BD5E-47E6-BA1F-CB18C047174E.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 203
  • CC92F98F-6C9A-4703-A6DC-938C17CF1862.jpeg
    CC92F98F-6C9A-4703-A6DC-938C17CF1862.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • F3BF8118-ED99-47AE-A296-392EE0D8D802.jpeg
    F3BF8118-ED99-47AE-A296-392EE0D8D802.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 0A6B389E-F9BE-460C-85BC-97E077A121C6.jpeg
    0A6B389E-F9BE-460C-85BC-97E077A121C6.jpeg
    886.3 KB · Views: 109
  • C9B2594F-FCD4-47A8-A26B-899B22E85693.jpeg
    C9B2594F-FCD4-47A8-A26B-899B22E85693.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 98
I'm sure the Model Y with a rooftop cargo box for the snowboards would be awesome for your needs. The Model X would need a hitch mounted snowboard rack. Either car would be great. I've been using my Model 3 as my ski car and the ground clearance is a complete non-issue. Because all ski areas get plowed and, if there is a delay and the snow is deeper than 6" you should probably delay the trip until it is plowed. Right?

Driving in powder is awesome. It is the day after, when the plows have not come by yet and everything is rutted from the previous day, and then frozen solid. Like driving into small concrete walls all over. Destroys the lower valence and jacks up your alignment. But that is true for every car, those are the days you get out the full size truck with the off road package.

Reactions: McManX