Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tyre Pressures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So basically 42 is the minimum. Who knows what 42 set at 0 degrees C will rise to on a warm sunny day. I guess we will find out in a month or 3 but whatever it is it is apparently better than having it too low :)

My S is rated for 45 psi cold. After 45 mins at a supercharger on a hot day when the tpms came up on leaving the rt side tyres read 49psi and the lt read 45.
20 miles down the motorway and they all read 48psi

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Er, I don't visit petrol stations !

Ah, well the context was over several decades ... so you must have been visiting then .. but didn't check your tyre pressures anyway? Actually I take a perverse pleasure in that rare visit to a petrol station in the Tesla! I like driving past the pumps and seeing if anyone notices, before I continue on to the air machine. Anyway, I recently bought one of those upright Track Bike pumps after reading some recommendations and having found modern foot pumps to be generally poor quality ... it's great! They are designed to pump tyres up to 160psi so 42psi is an easy job and the valve barely spills air when you disconnect.

Ah, well the context was over several decades ... so you must have been visiting then .. but didn't check your tyre pressures anyway? Actually I take a perverse pleasure in that rare visit to a petrol station in the Tesla! I like driving past the pumps and seeing if anyone notices, before I continue on to the air machine. Anyway, I recently bought one of those upright Track Bike pumps after reading some recommendations and having found modern foot pumps to be generally poor quality ... it's great! They are designed to pump tyres up to 160psi so 42psi is an easy job and the valve barely spills air when you disconnect.
I also have a top notch pump for my bike and it's easier/faster to use that than the Ring 12V compressor thing I also carry in the boot. I also keep a calibrated hand gauge to cross-check the various devices and the TPMS. That said, I'm not a habitual tyre inflator. If I'm running somewhere around 40 - 46 depending on winter/summer and consistently across tyres, I'm happy. Never had any issues or adverse wear patterns and works for me. If I'm a little under on a cold morning, I know they'll be there or thereabouts a few miles in.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1002056802127638528 Elon Musk on Twitter said:
Elon Musk @elonmusk
5:40 PM · May 30, 2018
Braking & UI upgrades apply to all Model 3s. Improved windshield for aero noise & suspension for ride comfort are major ops. Unless you’re really bothered by them, don’t replace. Best way to improve ride is drop tire pressure to ~39 psi. 45 psi is best range, but lower comfort.

So no need to be too exact.