Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Video Request - Super Cold Coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets see more videos of the model S in freezing cold temperatures. I'm a fan(don't own one) but my guess is that the model s is way easier to start than gasoline here in Chicago tomorrow.

Love to see a review for those of you who have your car sitting outside in negative temps.

Last edited:
Did -22F already once... Nothing to see on a video, no drama, the car starts like in the summer. Only difference is no regen at all, limited power to 160kW and stiffer steering (comfort is like standard and standard is like sport... sport is like car off)

Other than the drivers side windows being a bit slow to defrost, everything is better than a gas car. It's been -10 to -20F here since yesterday with -35F wind chill. Door handles, windows, pumps, fans and wipers all operate normally. I have a heated garage but the car has been cold soaked for hours outside twice. I ran the heater for 15 or 20 minutes before departure and the interior was comfortable with no condensation on the windows. I went past a gas station this evening. Customers looked miserable.

Yeah... really really miss my REGEN; The car has ~10kW of heaters.... why can't I get ~10kW of REGEN :cursing:

I think you do. It just shows as 0 usage as the heaters are actually shown in the energy bar. Try, take a cold soaked car and put it into drive with AC on and battery heater working. You'll see the yellow bar is idling around 5-10kW. So if you now regen break it'll go to 0.

Did -22F already once... Nothing to see on a video, no drama, the car starts like in the summer. Only difference is no regen at all, limited power to 160kW and stiffer steering (comfort is like standard and standard is like sport... sport is like car off)

Okay, here's something weird: I did a full 100% charge overnight... the first full Range Charge I've ever done to completion. It completed at about 3:00 AM and I set out at about 7:00 AM in -12 degree F temperatures and I HAD re-gen. It was limited to 30 kW, but the last time I charged to about 99% in the summer, re-gen was limited to zero until the battery had run down a bit. I was not expecting that this morning with a 100% charge AND such cold temperatures.

Okay, here's something weird: I did a full 100% charge overnight... the first full Range Charge I've ever done to completion. It completed at about 3:00 AM and I set out at about 7:00 AM in -12 degree F temperatures and I HAD re-gen. It was limited to 30 kW, but the last time I charged to about 99% in the summer, re-gen was limited to zero until the battery had run down a bit. I was not expecting that this morning with a 100% charge AND such cold temperatures.

Yikes, I wonder if that's a bug (100% charge aside, you should have had 0 regen with those temps). You didn't pre-heat the car?

Yikes, I wonder if that's a bug (100% charge aside, you should have had 0 regen with those temps). You didn't pre-heat the car?

Yes, I did pre-heat but I was curious more about the 100% charge thing. Last summer, I interrupted a Range Charge at about 99% because I had to leave before it finished. At that time, I got a warning that Re-Gen was disabled and it didn't come back until the battery started to draw down a bit.

Regen goes to zero somewhere around -10C fully cold soaked. I'm not sure of the exact number (I mostly preheat these days).

How long the car retains heat after charging or driving depends on the temperature the pack started at (which we don't know because Tesla annoyingly doesn't report it), ambient temperature, and other weather factors. A very windy day will chill out the car much faster (it won't get any colder than ambient... it'll just get there much faster). Parking in your garage could slow it down substantially, due to both sheltering the car from wind and the fact that temperatures are often a little warmer than outdoor ambient.

Preheating the pack will give you 30-40 kW regen power. Getting full regen requires driving the car, and you may never get it in extreme temperatures. (Note that even when the yellow line disappears you may still have a small regen reduction, e.g. 50 kW instead of 60.)

Unlike the Roadster a 100% charge does not give you zero regen. You still have something like 10 kW, which makes a huge difference to the feel of the car. At 0 kW regen the thing glides so much you might think it's accelerating for a moment!

Last edited:
Regen goes to zero somewhere around -10C fully cold soaked. I'm not sure of the exact number (I mostly preheat these days).

How long the car retains heat after charging or driving depends on the temperature the pack started at (which we don't know because Tesla annoyingly doesn't report it), ambient temperature, and other weather factors. A very windy day will chill out the car much faster (it won't get any colder than ambient... it'll just get there much faster). Parking in your garage could slow it down substantially, due to both sheltering the car from wind and the fact that temperatures are often a little warmer than outdoor ambient.

Preheating the pack will give you 30-40 kW regen power. Getting full regen requires driving the car, and you may never get it in extreme temperatures. (Note that even when the yellow line disappears you may still have a small regen reduction, e.g. 50 kW instead of 60.)

Unlike the Roadster a 100% charge does not give you zero regen. You still have something like 10 kW, which makes a huge difference to the feel of the car. At 0 kW regen the thing glides so much you might think it's accelerating for a moment!

Regen will completely disable when the BATTERY PACK (And I stress BATTERY PACK) Drops BELOW 32*F Or Freezing. Now, due to the mass, and heat from charging etc..., charging could be done at 3 am and you might still have SOME*** Regen at 8 am or 10 am (depends on how cold it really is).
This is from a Technical Standpoint with Lithium Batteries.
When a lithium battery is below freezing, charging it actually Electroplates the inside of the battery, causing permanent capacity loss. THIS is why the regen limit is so important. I've had the car tell me Regen is disabled at temps as high as 25 degrees (remember, I stressed BATTERY PACK must be below freezing, ambient temps will only affect how quickly that pack gets their).

Now, when It was -30 out with a -50somthing windchill the other night, after having a fully warmed car, with no regen or accel limits, it only took about 15 minutes of being parked for it to drop from 60 to 10kw regen. At that point, even with range mode selected, the pack warmer kicked in. That increased regen (VERY VERY SLOWLY) and at the same time, VERY QUICKLY Dropped my range/rated miles. Plugged it in to a 14-50.

The 14-50 did keep up with letting the car charge (SLOWLY) while still drawing it's power for pack heating. Now, Pre-Heating the car, wanted more then the outlet could provide.

Pre Heating a cold soaked car, required what I calculate out to is about 50 amps at 240. So heater kicked in, as well as pack warmer. It was the pack warmer that pushed it over the edge. Though, raising the temperature of a car to a temperature that was 120*F WARMER then the outside, usually does require a good amount of power :)

And with that, Tonight's entertainment.
And for the record, #1, Yes, I know I need to Comb my hair, #2, Yes, I know I need a Hair Cut, #3, at -30*F I didn't give a damn about my freaking hair, I was more concerned with my genitals freezing to my leg. Oh, and Thank You TESLA for placing the heated seat heating elements in the perfect spots. That corrected the frozen genital issue; Grazie!!!

Last edited by a moderator: