Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter vs All season for my 19" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not up to speed on cost benefit of winter vs all season tires for 19" wheels. I have continental summer tires for the 21" cyclones, recently bought used 19" wheels for winter that are getting powder coated. When they're done I'll need to have my winter tire solution ready to go. I live in chicago and am driving a 90d.

What does the brain trust recommend? Looking for best value for each ( all season and winter) and recommendation for which I should go with. I define value as optimal balance, longevity, traction and cost. I'm powdercoating the split spoke 19s gray to match the slush...lol. But I'm not opposed to keeping them on next summer, so all season is an option.

Thanks in advance.

I could not live with my self if I ran "all-seasons" for cost savings............ and hurt a child that true winter tires could have avoided. Cost is relative. XIce for my S 90D , love them so far, but we don't have very much snow......yet :)

I hear you but I drove a rear wheel drive Lexus w a v8 on all seasons and did fine...that said I drove that car for 15 years and knew its personality in the snow. This will be my first experience in the snow with the s.

Reactions: Seawind300
I bought my car in Dec 2016, it came with stock all seasons.
It took a week or two to get my Michelin IceX on the car

At first the tires feel “squishy” and “marshmallow like” but you get used to it within an hour or so

However, the Car drives MUCH better on the IceX in snow and ice. Going 0-10 mph and more importantly 30-0mph is night and day.
Cornering is so much better

We had our first sprain/snow/ice storm of the year on Monday

I was SO thankful that I had those tires as I drove by tons of people in a ditch
The only problem is that one time the car behind me couldn’t stop when I could, and almost rear ended me!

My life is worth the loss of a little performance

I feel adamant that a Chicagoan needs winter tires

I bought my car in Dec 2016, it came with stock all seasons.
It took a week or two to get my Michelin IceX on the car

At first the tires feel “squishy” and “marshmallow like” but you get used to it within an hour or so

However, the Car drives MUCH better on the IceX in snow and ice. Going 0-10 mph and more importantly 30-0mph is night and day.
Cornering is so much better

We had our first sprain/snow/ice storm of the year on Monday

I was SO thankful that I had those tires as I drove by tons of people in a ditch
The only problem is that one time the car behind me couldn’t stop when I could, and almost rear ended me!

My life is worth the loss of a little performance

I feel adamant that a Chicagoan needs winter tires

Thanks!

All-Season can be more expensive than Winter tires since you could get away with just one set all year. Winter tires mean you will take them off and need another set.

Winter/Snow tires (M&S rated) are the best option if you live in a climate with snow measured in feet. Chicago would definitely benefit from snow tires. I put snows on my wife's XV Crosstrek, and my STI (which has amazing grip from 3 mechanical differentials).

All-Seasons: Jack of all trades, but master of none.

Snows: Drive with confidence, amazing grip and shorter stopping-distance, which is always dangerous at lights or stop signs.

I hear you but I drove a rear wheel drive Lexus w a v8 on all seasons and did fine...that said I drove that car for 15 years and knew its personality in the snow. This will be my first experience in the snow with the s.

I drove a RWD Lexus IS350 with Blizzaks and found it to be treacherous in the winter plus so noisy they were unbearable. Now I have a S90D and I opted for a set of X-Ice 3’s. We had our first real hours and the S was a beast. Better than my wife’s RX with Blizzaks. Amazing performance and as quiet as my OEM Goodyear’s.

To me, it’s a no brainer, get winters. Either Michelin’s or The Hakka’s.

Reactions: Sully's8
Agree with everyone else... get the snows!

I bought a P85D earlier this year and it came with Pirelli Sottozero on 21"s. For the summer, I put on Hankooks, but recently remounted the Pirellis. Now I know 21"s wheels aren't optimal for winter driving.. but we just had our first moderate snow last week -- about 6". After driving my BMW M5 (rwd) on Blizzaks for 10+ winters, the Tesla with Pirelli Sottozeros in snow is like driving on dry pavement. The Tesla AWD also has a lot to do with that compared to RWD. But wow, real dedicated snow tires and a dual motor car is the way to go for northern winters. Hands down I would not mess with all-seasons ever again.

Reactions: Sully's8
I live in the Northern Chicago suburbs and I owned a 2013 P85 for over four years. I went through four Chicago winters with no issues on my 19 inch Michelin Primacy all season tires. Keep in mind the 2013 Model S were not dual motors so not all wheel drive.
One trick I did learn was to turn off the regenerative braking when driving in the snow. Bottom line - If you know hoe to drive in the snow all season tires are fine on a Tesla.

I'm in Dallas but I grew up driving in the snow. IMO, going to the trouble and expense of getting a second set of wheels and then putting all seasons on them is only a halfway measure. Get the snows. The peace of mind is worth it. (I have spare wheels with XIce on my Highlander for trips to CO. Totally worth it.)

I agree with the others. If you're going to be driving in an area with snow/ice then get the snow tires. Summers will be absolutely terrible (undriveable) in snow.

Remember that it's not all about AWD. The key thing in the winter is stopping distance. And since this car is so heavy, the momentum is really high. Without good traction, you're at risk is sliding right into the middle of an intersection or the back of the car in front that was able to stop sooner. Believe me - I slide 20 feet into an intersection on our first snow here with my new S on All Seasons. I bought winters that day and so far so good.

I got the XIce3 on mine and they're fantastic so far. They're actually quieter than the stock all seasons!

If you live where there is a real winter, get snow tires--and be sure they are good ones, such as Michelin X-Ice or Nokian R2. If you live where there isn't much of a winter, get severe service all-seasons such as Nokian WR-3g. (My experience has been that these are as good as all but the very best snow tires.) It's best to have two sets of wheels so that you don't risk tire damage by continually changing them, and if you change them yourself you can avoid waiting around at the tire shop or Tesla SC.) The all-seasons supplied OE on cars (including Tesla) are just barely adequate when brand new. Once worn a bit, they are completely unsuitable (in my opinion) for any kind of driving during winter conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and Dax279
Nokian WRs were great for me last night. Icy highway, whiteout conditions driving by rumble strip, and plowing snow at our destination. They’re also great in the rain. I’ve had WRs on every car I’ve owned since 2002. I like not having to have a second set of rims/tires. Most of the winter here the city roads are bare/dry and we don’t get a ton of ice, so these are perfect for me. image.jpg

Reactions: jerry33