Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter warm up on 110v level 1.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just starting to think about the upcoming ski season. My local hill has a couple Tesla destination chargers, but I bet those will be tough to get to.

They do have a few 110v outlets available for EV's too. I know it won't charger the car at any significant rate. But if I'm there for a typical 8 hours day I could get a decent amount of range.

The biggest question I had was that if I wanted to preheat the car 20-30 minutes in advance on the cold days, would the 110v still be able to handle that? Or will it still be eating into my battery charge?

Thanks!

120V at 12A is around 1.5kW. A single motor can pull 3.5kW for battery heating, plus whatever the car needs to heat the cabin. For non-heatpump that can peak at 6kW and reduce, heatpump takes less but still certainly a couple kW. So no, the 120V plug would not be sufficient, you would eat into your battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Always depends. If you arrive with a warm battery, you should get some charge before it cools down too much. Warming up for a few minutes before leaving shouldn't be too bad. Plugging for the day might not charge much but it might be enough to keep the battery warm which is good too. Try it out!

You probably won’t gain much charge if the ambient temp is below 10°F, as almost all of the energy will be used to keep the battery warm enough for charging. Preheat will definitely eat into your range, potentially even negating any charge you managed to add.